View Full Version : How can I have my Axim connect to 2 networks?? (home and work)

spinedoc
02-27-2003, 01:51 AM
Each time I switch locations, home and work, I have to enter the network SSID manually. Is there any way to set it up like my laptop that just automatically senses which network is available and gets on that network? At the very least can I set it up so I can quickly hit a drop down box and choose my network?

I hope that it is easier to switch than I think it is. Im sure Im not the only one with a network at home AND at work.

Axim with a Linksys WCF12 running off of WinXP Pro basic network.

syphix
02-27-2003, 04:13 AM
It SHOULD be as easy as this:

1. With the wi-fi card inserted, click on the strenght meter in the lower right of the Today page.

2. Click on "Edit Wireless Profiles"

3. Click "Add"

4. Name the profile.

5. Click "Next".

6. Enter the SSID of your work site in the "Network Name" field.

7. Click "Next".

8. Enter any required fields for security.

9. Choose Power Management if your card supports it/you want it.

10. Click "Finish".

It should be in the drop down bar, and can easily be chosen and then click "Ok" (in the upper right). To get back to this screen to change WLAN's, simply click on the signal strength meter. I haven't gone so far as to try it on a seperate WLAN, but it SHOULD work this easily. Let me know if it doesn't.

ryanmjones
02-27-2003, 05:22 AM
I set my home wireless network to be the same as my work. Its a little easier for me since I run a small business, but it makes sense to me.

msprague
02-27-2003, 01:51 PM
I set my home wireless network to be the same as my work. Its a little easier for me since I run a small business, but it makes sense to me. That is my approach too. The Symbol driver that I am running does not have multiple profiles AFAIK. Setting my home network up to look like my work network was the easiest way to have seemless Wifi.

syphix
02-27-2003, 02:51 PM
That is my approach too. The Symbol driver that I am running does not have multiple profiles AFAIK. Setting my home network up to look like my work network was the easiest way to have seemless Wifi.Whoops...didn't know profiles was a feature of the wifi card, not PocketPC 2002...interesting...

msprague
02-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Syphix,
What card do you have that does have the profiles available in the driver?

syphix
02-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Syphix,
What card do you have that does have the profiles available in the driver?The one I ordered packaged with my Dell Axim: a TrueMobile 1180 (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=310-2935). Kinda ticked that they just reduced the price on it, though: right after I bought it...:(

Brad Adrian
02-28-2003, 03:55 AM
Syphix,
What card do you have that does have the profiles available in the driver?The new SanDisk WiFi card (http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/connect.asp) also has an application on the Pocket PC that helps manage accounts and multiple WLANs.

spinedoc
02-28-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys, I did just that and now can switch from home to work in a cinch. My only problem is that mylinksys configurator wont work in landscape mode, sigh.