View Full Version : please help 3955

jdbnyc
02-26-2003, 08:53 PM
hi just purchased ipaq 3955 and love it, though im having the following problem: when i synch with my windows98 pc at work i have no problems converting a word file to the ipaq. but it wont transfer the word file to ipaq usable format when i synch from home using xp home edition. any ideas on how to do this? thank you so very much

Janak Parekh
02-26-2003, 08:58 PM
How are you transferring the file? Also, how complex is(are) the file(s) you're transferring? I don't have any problems with this on Win XP Pro/Office XP Pro.

--janak

jdbnyc
02-26-2003, 09:23 PM
real basic files... even just typing the word test in word, saving it to desktop and then putting it into pocket pc my documents.. but when i do this on xp it transfers it to my ppc in word, which reads "there is no application associated." it auto changes it on win98. thanks for your help.

Janak Parekh
02-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Hmm, that's weird. Check this: in ActiveSync on the desktop, go into Tools -> Options -> Rules -> Conversion Settings and make sure the checkbox is checked. You can also check the desktop-to-device conversion settings and make sure the extension and format is being changed.

--janak

Sheynk
02-26-2003, 11:12 PM
thats odd....i have that device and have no trouble with school notes and such....allthough I prefer making 20 mb recordings of class lectures 8)

Chris Spera
02-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Tho your device will sync with more than 1 computer, please remember that MS did not design Pocket PC's to sync with more than 1 computer. It will work, ActiveSync will support this; but your device will become VERY cranky. I have not had any real successes with this, though I have tried this in the past.

My suggestion is to pick a PC that your iPAQ will sync to and then stick to that PC. I have my personal and business info synced to 1 Outlook installation (work) and no one seems to care. However, I do mark all of my Personal items (appointments, contacts, and tasks) as Private so they can't be viewed by the average snooping bear...

Like I said, this will work; but I wouldn't actually recommend it...

Just my humble opinion/ recommendation.

Christopher Spera

Janak Parekh
02-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Tho your device will sync with more than 1 computer, please remember that MS did not design Pocket PC's to sync with more than 1 computer. It will work, ActiveSync will support this; but your device will become VERY cranky. I have not had any real successes with this, though I have tried this in the past.
It's not that bad. I've mastered the art of using two computers, and have used it daily for years now. It works just fine except when I need to hard reset my iPaq or reinstall my PC, and I've got that process down by heart as well.

I don't think, in any case, that's his problem here...

--janak

vincentsiaw
02-28-2003, 08:38 AM
hey Janak you should posted a story on how you do that, it could be very useful in syncronizing between 2 PC, one in the office and the one in home.

Janak Parekh
02-28-2003, 05:42 PM
hey Janak you should posted a story on how you do that, it could be very useful in syncronizing between 2 PC, one in the office and the one in home.
Hmm. I've considered doing that (i.e., tips on how to handle dual-computer ActiveSync and keep it sane). I'll see if I have a couple hours in the next few weeks to put it together.

--janak

Chris Spera
02-28-2003, 06:03 PM
I'd like to see this as well... I'd be interested to see how it is done (as I understand it, AS will NOT remove duplicate entries when a device syncs with more than one PC...).

This is the biggest reason why I stopped trying to do this. I have more than one PDA (iPAQ 5455, iPAQ 3955 and Toshiba e310) and have 3 cradlees sitting on my desk at the office. I'd like to take the iPAQ 3955 cradle to the house as the 5455 will sync with the 3900 cradle (but ironically, the 3955 can't use the 5400 cradle...go figure.)

A top-notch "How To" series on this subject would benefit a great many people.

Christopher Spera

Janak Parekh
02-28-2003, 06:43 PM
AS will NOT remove duplicate entries when a device syncs with more than one PC...
Well, you're basically correct. AS is not smart at duplicate removal. The best way of syncing two machines is to make sure the 2nd one has an empty Outlook store. I usually nuke the PST on that machine, let the handheld populate it, and then sync the two machines without any problem whatsoever. I can get away with this because I don't use Outlook for email and I don't ActiveSync email, and that single twist that makes the situation a bit harder.

A top-notch "How To" series on this subject would benefit a great many people.
Well, as I alluded above, it's a tremendous amount of labor and testing. I tend to be a perfectionist about this, which doesn't help. I'll try and dredge up time though, but it's unlikely to be in March... have some major work-level stuff to take care of. :)

--janak