View Full Version : Dell Vs. iPAQ 1910

Reinaldo
02-26-2003, 04:10 PM
Hello. I have a friend who wants to get a PDA and he's really stuck between the :2gunfire: Dell and the iPAQ. I naturally, like any good PPC user, want him to get the iPAQ. He's inclicned to getting a Dell. He's in High School, and he likes to take notes on PDAs. He's also shaky about memoery because he wants to listen to music. Please, give me some good arguments that make the iPAQ look good or a really ood argument that changes my mind about the Dell, which I think are too cheap and dangerous for him.

Thank you.

PS: By the way, please don't answer me with a thread. A forum requires personalization, otherwise it'll jst be an enciclopedia of PPC stuff.

Jason Dunn
02-26-2003, 04:20 PM
Why are you pushing him towards the iPAQ 1910? If taking notes is important, he'll need a keyboard. And since there are no keyboards for the 1910, but there are for the Dell, this makes the decision a very easy one. :wink:

For a student, I'd certainly recommend the Dell - they're very sturdy devices with great battery life (two things important to any student who'll be using it all day).

PetiteFlower
02-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Too cheap? Dangerous? Come on, there is really no such thing as too cheap for a student of any kind, and the Dell certainly seems sturdier and better able to survive the occasional droppage then the 1910. And, as mentioned, the battery life is fantastic, he'll be able to take notes on it all day without it dying on him, something not likely to be true with the 1910.

If he wants to listen to music he'll need a storage card either way, 64m just isn't enough to fit programs and enough music to make it worth your while. With the Dell he'd have a choice of formats, smaller SD or cheaper (and bigger capacity available) CF, if he got the 1910 he'd be stuck with SD only which the biggest available for a reasonable price is 256m; the 512 cards are still really expensive.

It might do you some good, however, to read the MULTITUDE of threads available on both the Axim and the 1910, encyclopedias of info are useful!

dh
02-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Unless your friend is a 100% size freak, there is no contest, it has to be the Dell.
The 1910 is smaller but the Axim beats it on every single feature. As Jason mentioned, if he needs to use a keyboard there is not one for the 1910.
I've had the chance to test both units out. The 1910 is about Palm 505 size which is nice. My first impression of the Axim was that it looks and feels like a high quality device. I had heard it was a brick, and I expected the general quality to reflect the low price.
Neither is the case, the size is fine and the build quality is as good as anything else I've looked at.
I'm probably going to invest in a Dell myself in the near future.

ux4484
02-26-2003, 05:17 PM
like any good PPC user, want him to get the iPAQ. He's inclicned to getting a Dell.

whoooooaaa there, THAT is SCARY!!!
I think you meant to say, like any good EdH fan ;) :D ;)

But seriously, before he get's anything, make sure that School ALLOWS a PDA. They have been banned in some schools (mostly Cybico's, but some schools don't allow any personal electronic devices).
If that is not an issue........Which is more important; taking notes or listening to music? 'Cause for note taking with a keyboard you could pick up a (dare I say it :? ) Palm device and a keyboard for about half the cost of a Dell on any number of vendors on ebay (Palm III, IIIxe, or V/Vx). That lets you take notes for days (instead of just one or maybe two days with a Axim). My nephew recently wanted a PDA for school, his Mom being on a budget could not shell 300 bucks for a Dell 300Mhz & keyboard. I dug up a IIIxe upgraded to POS 4.1 and a keyboard for $119 w/warrenty on ebay (buy now, not on a auction) Loaded up Doc's to go and Due Yesterday and he's off. It's just what he needed, and he goes weeks before needing batteries (he's very happy). I think this type of device just goes better with school than a PPC (no flames please).
While I like my Axim, I still pull out the Visor and Stowaway if I've got to type up some notes during a meeting.

Of course if he's the type with gobs of disposable income (a trend soon to be over), and $300-$400 buck is a pittance for Mom and Dad, The Dell still would be a better value for the availble keyboard and more expansion options.

PS: By the way, please don't answer me with a thread. A forum requires personalization, otherwise it'll jst be an enciclopedia of PPC stuff.

Then you should have PM's to members with your questions.........

*music* "That what threads are for" *end music*

Janak Parekh
02-26-2003, 05:25 PM
whoooooaaa there, THAT is SCARY!!!
I think you meant to say, like any good EdH fan ;) :D ;)
Not even EdH fan. I think Ed agrees the Dell is a great unit.

Reinaldo, why do you think iPaqs are "preferred" Pocket PCs? The 1910 is a very nice little unit, but the Axim is by means not a terrible unit itself. Every Pocket PC I've owned is an iPaq, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend the Dell.

--janak

Reinaldo
02-26-2003, 10:44 PM
I feel ashamed! :cry: :lol: I am sorry. Its nothing against the Dell because I have offered a lot of friends of mine looking for a cheap PDA the Dell, the problem is that (and I am NOT sure if its still happening) it takes a long time for them to come and then I end up making house calls because of some problems that i didn't expect the unit would have (the D-Pad). Customer support was also "bad" with Dell and well, I began to look at the other cheap devices as something to offer to whoever asked me. I saw the ViewSonic and liked it unitl I found out about the issue that its virtually nowhere. So I opted for the iPAQ 1910, a line which never failed me (excpetion: 3600). Then the friend comes along, wanting a cheap unit. I tried to convince him to get a Dell but (at first) he said the unit was too thick, so I presented him with the iPAQ. He liked it at first but then said it lacked too many features. Then he pitted the Dell against the iPAQ and, knowing what would happen, I tried to "push" him to the iPAQ. It all came to chaos so I decided to call you guys. I guess I got a little biased for the iPAQ. :oops:

Are there fixes for all of the problems above? If there are, I would GLADLY recomend the Dell.
Thank you for hearing me out.

PS: Do any of you have the link for the website that sells Jornada style dell covers? I have a feeling I might need to have that info handy.

tekknikal
02-26-2003, 11:59 PM
i dont understand. you say you have nothing against the dell, then you continue to put down the dell as being cheap.
to me, the dell seems better built than many other ppcs and pdas out there today. the metal is all solid.. again i dont understand where you're coming from?

As far as dell customer support goes... you get the unit replaced entirely while its under warranty if there are any problems. Do you think that's worth the allegedly bad tech support? I would think so, even though I've had no problems with Dell tech support so far. Perhaps you could elaborate on bad experiences?
As far as the DPad goes, there is a patch for it.. I'm a first time ppc owner and I've found the pad to be ok, even without the patch. What problems was the user having that made em get up to call you?

You say you have a "little" bias.. and that you dont want your friend to get a unit that could be dangerous......
umm.... the 1910 has NO expansion possibilities as of yet, no SDI/O either. How will your friend take a lot of notes with it? How will your friend carry more than 20 songs with him (or her)? I assume money is important, since we're in this price range to begin with. So you're going to recommend a unit with SD-only memory, forcing him to spend that much more on memory?
the Dell has a keyboard accessory, full CF2 support and SD (not SDI/O but with CF2 that doesnt matter)
the Dell can be expanded far more than the 1910 and even if you could expand the 1910 like the dell, it would cost more (a 1gb cf2 card can be had for $200-$250..)
from taking notes with a keyboard, to storing a lot of mp3s, and future wireless options..the dell seems to be the better unit for this application. whatever questions you might have about getting a 'bad' unit can be answered with a 30-day money back guarantee and Dells warranty/replacement policy.

i understand he wants a thin unit, but how is he going to get the features of the dell in a smaller package? That cant even be done with the larger ipaqs, and if it could it would cost a lot more -the price diff would be very significant...to me anyway.. and i assume it would be to him too, since he's looking at $300 units to begin with.

*edit- oh and about the "long time" it takes to get a dell...you might be right, depending on what you call a long time. However you should know three things:
#1- delivery times are shorter than advertised
#2- delivery times have been gettign shorter since the unit was first out
#3- online is the best way to purchase in any case, if you're looking for a deal. that said, Dell probably wont be much slower (if at all) than other shipping places. The ones that get it to your hand next day normally charge the full msrp.
and finally, http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9072
shipping times really arent that long. i ordered mine on a tues night and received it the following monday. and that included a 512mb card (for which it had a 4day delay listed) and screen protectors + stylii (sp?) + cf2 wifi

MultiMatt
02-27-2003, 11:54 PM
'Cause for note taking with a keyboard you could pick up a (dare I say it :? ) Palm device and a keyboard for about half the cost of a Dell on any number of vendors on ebay (Palm III, IIIxe, or V/Vx). That lets you take notes for days (instead of just one or maybe two days with a Axim).

ux4484,
You must be one of those folks who doesn't cradle/charge their device often! I always get a kick out of people who will make that kind of power comparison! If a Pocket PC is cradled regularly (like a student in school could do every night), there would not be any power issue, especially in light of how much he would use it through the day!
Your price arguments are valid, but Li-Ion vs alkaline is not!
:wink:
Matt

GO-TRIBE
02-28-2003, 12:20 AM
Hey, here are a few reasons for you:

1.) Quality: the iPaq has a well known track record of excellent quality hardware. Compaq/HP actually spends money putting top-notch engineering into their products. Look at how far ahead the iPaqs were compared to the competition when they first came out. Look at the 54xx vs. any PPC in features, or the 19xx vs. any PPC in weight and size.

2.) Support: anytime there was an issue with the iPaq line, Compaq/HP addresses the problem right away and has been upfront with customers.

3.) Value: you know the iPaq will have tons of options available from HP and third parties, and an upgrade path for future OS versions is assured. Compaq had the only device to be upgradeable from CE 2.11 to PPC and the PPC 2000 iPaqs all upgraded quite nicely to 2002. Hey an iPaq 36xx with PPC 2002 still isn't obsolete and it's going on 4 years old.

There is a very good reason why any average guy off the street knows the PPC only as "iPaq". 8)

ux4484
02-28-2003, 01:01 AM
ux4484,
You must be one of those folks who doesn't cradle/charge their device often! I always get a kick out of people who will make that kind of power comparison! If a Pocket PC is cradled regularly (like a student in school could do every night), there would not be any power issue, especially in light of how much he would use it through the day!
Your price arguments are valid, but Li-Ion vs alkaline is not!
:wink: Matt

Isn't that the idea of being mobile? Going for as long as you can without pluggin in? A "must charge everywhere" PDA is not for me. I charge at home for 3-6 hours when I'm off, other than that, it's with me.
I use NiMh AAA's in my Visor and get and average of a month of use per set. I can't get my nephew (gifted :rolleyes) to close a door when he comes into the house, much less remember to "cradle" every night.
I don't charge my Dell at work, it's why I have a spare battery.
It's why you see the PPCT site admins complaining about battery technology and life on the front page of this site.
Battery life sucks for most PPC devices, and the way a teen would use it might not justify that type of device.
Again, if he's got the money go for it......., but if he really only needs PIM/Note taking availability an older Palm device is the way to go.

PetiteFlower
02-28-2003, 01:27 AM
That's silly. I charge my Axim every night when I'm at my home PC even though I could easily get away with 2-3 days of use, maybe more if I'm not listening to music on it. Just taking notes uses up a remarkably tiny amount of power. But I'm sitting at the computer, the cables are right next to me, the Axim is right next to me(because it ALWAYS is!), so I plug it in. But if all you're doing is taking notes, you could probably get a good week out of it before you absolutely HAD to charge it.

The 1910 on the other hand, you'd be lucky if you got a full day of use out of it!

And of course if you forget to charge your Axim for too long, it has a backup battery to protect your data.

As far as "reputation for quality", Dell's rep in the PC market kicks Compaq's ass. Dell is new in the PPC market but they seem to be doing well so far; the only complaints I've really heard about the service involve the wait to get one, and that's getting better, plenty of people are getting them right away now. The issue with the D-pad appears to have been fixed as well from reports of people who are just getting them now. Dell also has 24 hour tech support which has been helpful for me.

Just because Ipaqs were upgradable with the last new OS does NOT mean that they will be upgradable for the next one. There's really no way to say for sure either way but especially with the small amount of ROM in the 1910, you definitely should not feel "assured" that it will be upgradable.

The main reason that Ipaqs are better known is because they have been around the longest, not because they're the only ones worth buying. I think that within the next year Dell will be just as ubiquitous as Compaq in the PPC market.

tekknikal
02-28-2003, 02:24 AM
Hey, here are a few reasons for you:

1.) Quality: the iPaq has a well known track record of excellent quality hardware. Compaq/HP actually spends money putting top-notch engineering into their products. Look at how far ahead the iPaqs were compared to the competition when they first came out. Look at the 54xx vs. any PPC in features, or the 19xx vs. any PPC in weight and size.

Look at the problems that the 5450 users are having.. this throws current reliability arguments a little off. Dell is has better, if not equal, reliability than Compaq in computers, and this will likely translate to PDAs as well. It is true that compaq addresses their problems, however so does Dell. In addition, look at the warranty that comes with the Dell.

The past is history, I am not that concerned with what the ipaq was. The 54xx does indeed have more features than any other PPC however you must note that it costs more. In fact, it costs more than a Dell Axim would with WiFi and BT. That leaves fingerprint recognition as the only thing really going for the it. The Dell has longer battery life and still- CF2. So again, the 5450 is a top notch machine, but isnt for everyone.
And again you are correct with the 1910 comment, but look at the 1910 vs any other PPC in features. Again, its good, but not for everyone.

2.) Support: anytime there was an issue with the iPaq line, Compaq/HP addresses the problem right away and has been upfront with customers.

See above.

3.) Value: you know the iPaq will have tons of options available from HP and third parties, and an upgrade path for future OS versions is assured. Compaq had the only device to be upgradeable from CE 2.11 to PPC and the PPC 2000 iPaqs all upgraded quite nicely to 2002. Hey an iPaq 36xx with PPC 2002 still isn't obsolete and it's going on 4 years old.

Ok, it is true that there are accessories, and will in the future be accessories for the HP PDAs.. they have a significant marketshare.
Do they promise a future upgrade path? No- there's no guarantee you will be able to upgrade from one OS to the next, although it is definitely a possibility.
The fact that a 4yo ipaq is still an ok machine doesnt say anything about Dell (or anyone else)
Look at the definition of value:

"
val·ue
n.
1. An amount, as of goods, services, or money, considered to be a fair and suitable equivalent for something else; a fair price or return.
"

Look at the H5450. $700 for PPC + BT +WiFi
Look at the Axim. $350 for PCC, +$100Wifi +$100BT
The Axim is at least as good of a value. I am simplifying the comparison, but this is what it amounts to for many.

There is a very good reason why any average guy off the street knows the PPC only as "iPaq". 8)

Well, more people would call it a ppc a palm before they call it an ipaq........

But yeh, there's a very good reason why Dell is well known too.

I see the logic, but ultimately the ipaq is no longer the "best" ppc. There are now units that, for however many people, are the "better choice".
The Axim is one of them.

MultiMatt
02-28-2003, 02:24 AM
Isn't that the idea of being mobile? Going for as long as you can without plugging in?
To me, going mobile means having my data with me when I need it - not trying to run a battery endurance test with my device! :D
Besides, I am kind to my Li-Ion batteries and recharge whenever convenient. Over-extending the time between charges shortens the life of the battery even more!

Don't get me wrong - I'm a power-user, and often travel and use my device heavily throughout the day, but in light of that, I have armed myself with the necessary things to accomodate such usage (such as a spare battery, a travel charger). Sounds like you are a power-user yourself - armed with a spare battery!

Getting back to the topic of the thread (and the question that was asked): I think that the Axim is likely to be a better choice, because if a student is going to own/use it, they will likely be interested in peripheral devices, of which the CF variety are plentiful right now!

Matt

Reinaldo
02-28-2003, 03:46 AM
Well, my friend is right now crushed between an iPAQ and a Dell and he really wants me to make the choice for him, something which I refused to do after seeing that my choice could cause some problems. The Dell is a great unit and I am proud to say that, the problems seem to be fixed thankfully. The only aparent problem that is still there is the time period but I do hope it gets fixed. I do know that the Dell is not as bulky as people say, yet it is large when compared to either the Toshiba line or the 1910. He really doesn't need battery (or so he says :lol: time will show the truth) and he says he wants to have something small. The extent of "smallness" is something he can't describe. Another MAJOR drawback is that he has not touched a Dell and I think it might make his choice easier.

As for my favorite, I will say that the iPAQ really caught me. I was a fan of the Dell back when I thought the iPAQ was a little piece of scrap metal made by HP. I thought it was the best the market could do. Then I had a demo of an iPAQ. That was it. I am a power user, which means that I do keep the 3900 line and it has enough sleeves in there to make it un-Pocket like but if I could go back to the old days when "power-user' meant having one alone I would take the 1910.

Brad Adrian
02-28-2003, 03:52 AM
Plus...Right now Dell is offering a rebate on their Axims, so the prices are REALLY good.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_pda_snp.htm

hollis_f
02-28-2003, 08:34 AM
2.) Support: anytime there was an issue with the iPaq line, Compaq/HP addresses the problem right away and has been upfront with customers.What! How about the 38xx. There were so many problems that the site www.ipaqpetition.com was set up for users to petition Compaq to do something about them. And what was their response - Oh, we've fixed all those problems in the 39xx series. Disgruntled 38xx owners were told to buy a new machine if they didn't like the 38xx.

pez
03-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Well, my friend is right now crushed between an iPAQ and a Dell and he really wants me to make the choice for him, something which I refused to do after seeing that my choice could cause some problems. The Dell is a great unit and I am proud to say that, the problems seem to be fixed thankfully. The only aparent problem that is still there is the time period but I do hope it gets fixed. I do know that the Dell is not as bulky as people say, yet it is large when compared to either the Toshiba line or the 1910. He really doesn't need battery (or so he says :lol: time will show the truth) and he says he wants to have something small. The extent of "smallness" is something he can't describe. Another MAJOR drawback is that he has not touched a Dell and I think it might make his choice easier.

As for my favorite, I will say that the iPAQ really caught me. I was a fan of the Dell back when I thought the iPAQ was a little piece of scrap metal made by HP. I thought it was the best the market could do. Then I had a demo of an iPAQ. That was it. I am a power user, which means that I do keep the 3900 line and it has enough sleeves in there to make it un-Pocket like but if I could go back to the old days when "power-user' meant having one alone I would take the 1910.

You have got to be one of the most biased people I have seen on these forums :P

Okay.. heres my two cents..

You say that the guy has never touched a Dell which would sway his vote.. Well how is he ever going to experience anything new in life w/o trying it? So many people have experienced Dell and this is why they got like 11 freaking CNET awards for best PC manufacturer.. Give stuff a chance dont just throw it down just because you yourself are an IpaQ owner.

Oh and you must have not been a ipaq user for long seeing how you said you have been using an ipaq since way back when they were scrap "HP" models. Just to let you known.. they are much older then that.. Compaq kinda started it :roll:

People in this thread have almost been unanimous for an axim and this is even posted in the Ipaq forum.. its just better for the guy in his case.. and we all know it.. I think you should just tell him this and not dodge the facts.. the axim is better for a student..

BTW: Viewsonics are found at any compusa or like staples.. ive seen them there.. there not hard to find.. and they weight is equal to the 1910.

Steven Cedrone
03-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Pez,

Tell us how you really feel... :lol:

No more caffeine for you!!! :wink:

Steve

GO-TRIBE
03-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Dell is has better, if not equal, reliability than Compaq in computers, and this will likely translate to PDAs as well.
If we're talking about commercial PCs and laptops, Proliant servers, or the NonStop servers that power the NYSE, NASDAQ, and you're bank; IMHO Compaq has no equal.

The past is history, I am not that concerned with what the ipaq was.
Study the past, if you would divine the future. -- Confucius

Do they promise a future upgrade path? No- there's no guarantee you will be able to upgrade from one OS to the next
Here is the closest thing you'll find to a guarantee from any PPC brand:
http://www.smb.compaq.com/html/ipaqsoftware/index.asp

I see the logic, but ultimately the ipaq is no longer the "best" ppc. There are now units that, for however many people, are the "better choice". The Axim is one of them.
I'm not trying to knock the Axim, not in any way. It is a very good device. However, IMHO the iPaq isn't just the best PPC, it's the entire reason why we're even here talking about PPCs having a future. :wink:

pez
03-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Pez,

Tell us how you really feel... :lol:

No more caffeine for you!!! :wink:

Steve

Hahahaha Steven... Ill miss those late nite espresso shots :cry:

Reinaldo
03-02-2003, 08:00 PM
You say that the guy has never touched a Dell which would sway his vote.. Well how is he ever going to experience anything new in life w/o trying it? So many people have experienced Dell and this is why they got like 11 freaking CNET awards for best PC manufacturer.. Give stuff a chance dont just throw it down just because you yourself are an IpaQ owner.

8O He never touched a Dell because there are no Demo places. I can't find a kisosk and the web demo isn't really that interactive. Maybe you didn't catch my message when I said it. Relax.

Oh and you must have not been a ipaq user for long seeing how you said you have been using an ipaq since way back when they were scrap "HP" models. Just to let you known.. they are much older then that.. Compaq kinda started it

I said that I thought the 1910 was a scrap model put together by HP. Once again message not received. I had a 3600 and I know all of the headaches and blessings that came in it. I still have it, and it has Linux installed in it. PS: I also have a 548, 568, 3700, and a 3900.

BTW: Viewsonics are found at any compusa or like staples.. ive seen them there.. there not hard to find.. and they weight is equal to the 1910.

Not in Best Buy. Sadly, the viewsonic is a very scarce PDA. At least here. As for accesories, those are like the last cup of water in the dessert. $$$$$$

Chill. Its OK.

pez
03-03-2003, 07:59 AM

8O He never touched a Dell because there are no Demo places. I can't find a kisosk and the web demo isn't really that interactive. Maybe you didn't catch my message when I said it. Relax.

Oh and you must have not been a ipaq user for long seeing how you said you have been using an ipaq since way back when they were scrap "HP" models. Just to let you known.. they are much older then that.. Compaq kinda started it

I said that I thought the 1910 was a scrap model put together by HP. Once again message not received. I had a 3600 and I know all of the headaches and blessings that came in it. I still have it, and it has Linux installed in it. PS: I also have a 548, 568, 3700, and a 3900.

Not in Best Buy. Sadly, the viewsonic is a very scarce PDA. At least here. As for accesories, those are like the last cup of water in the dessert. $$$$$$

Chill. Its OK.

Oh okay.. Ill just sit back and watch you give your friend wrong advice..

BTW: If you dont have an office depot or what not even near you and you can only think of best buy as a place to buy PDAs.. thats just scary..

tekknikal
03-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Dell is has better, if not equal, reliability than Compaq in computers, and this will likely translate to PDAs as well.
If we're talking about commercial PCs and laptops, Proliant servers, or the NonStop servers that power the NYSE, NASDAQ, and you're bank; IMHO Compaq has no equal.

Compaq does have equal. But i'm not going to argue servers with you. Yes, the proliant are ahead of any of the dells, but thats it. Dell desktops and laptops are superior to compaqs. But yes, you've given a valid exception.

The past is history, I am not that concerned with what the ipaq was.
Study the past, if you would divine the future. -- Confucius

Dont read this as: the past is not important. I didnt say that. I said I'm not concerned with what the ipaq was. The comparison is between two current PPCs. Previous models of the line are not going to be that important in this decision.. the Dell is all new. You might argue that past ipaqs are indicative of the future, but the Dell has no past. Its future could be just as bright.

Do they promise a future upgrade path? No- there's no guarantee you will be able to upgrade from one OS to the next
Here is the closest thing you'll find to a guarantee from any PPC brand:
http://www.smb.compaq.com/html/ipaqsoftware/index.asp

they're selling upgrades for previous ppc units. but are they selling upgrades for the 1910 and 5450? no. So again, there are no guarantees.

I see the logic, but ultimately the ipaq is no longer the "best" ppc. There are now units that, for however many people, are the "better choice". The Axim is one of them.
I'm not trying to knock the Axim, not in any way. It is a very good device. However, IMHO the iPaq isn't just the best PPC, it's the entire reason why we're even here talking about PPCs having a future. :wink:
The only thing I am saying is that the ipaq is not the best ppc for everyone. For a lot of people the Axim is better. YES the ipaq is wonderful because it was the driving force that made the ppc what it is today (outside of MS themselves). But again, today, the Axim is the better unit for many.

hungster
03-04-2003, 05:14 PM
I thought we were talking about the h1910 vs. the Axim? Not the history of HP products vs. Dell's?

Anyway - I own both machines and I've played with both a long time. The two handhelds really appeal to different people. I personally use the H1910 - primarily because size is the most important feature for me.

Reasons why to use h1910 - size, screen is better, sound is better (built in bass boost), process and bus can be overclocked
Minuses - NO expandability! (so far)

Reasons to use Axim - processor is faster, better battery, more memory, CF + SD card
Minsues - on the big side (for some people), after using the HP screen - the Axim screen seems dull in comparision.

I never really had a problem with the battery life on the h1910 and I love watching movies on the h1910.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with either... Both are great PPCs. It's a personal preference as to what you want in a handheld.

Reinaldo
03-04-2003, 08:43 PM

BTW: If you dont have an office depot or what not even near you and you can only think of best buy as a place to buy PDAs.. thats just scary..

Pez, you need to chil out. I have stopped giving him advice and I found a Dell Kiosk at last. I brought him there and he used the Dell. He's now making a list of the pros and cons of the iPAQ and Dell. He's not a hardcore Pocket PC user, remenber this is his first PDA. As for Best Buy, I prefer to buy them from here because of the warranty, which allowes me to trade my iPAQ or Toshiba for a new one.

Chill out. Its all good.
Bottom line - you can't go wrong with either... Both are great PPCs. It's a personal preference as to what you want in a handheld.

I agree. My friend doesn't want to expand, he just wants a PDA that he can keep in his shirt pocket, listen to MP3s, play games, and take notes. Remenber, he's in high school.

pez
03-04-2003, 10:29 PM

Pez, you need to chil out. I have stopped giving him advice and I found a Dell Kiosk at last. I brought him there and he used the Dell. He's now making a list of the pros and cons of the iPAQ and Dell. He's not a hardcore Pocket PC user, remenber this is his first PDA. As for Best Buy, I prefer to buy them from here because of the warranty, which allowes me to trade my iPAQ or Toshiba for a new one.

Chill out. Its all good.

I agree. My friend doesn't want to expand, he just wants a PDA that he can keep in his shirt pocket, listen to MP3s, play games, and take notes. Remenber, he's in high school.

If I wasnt chilling out id be in all caps with lots of these "!" :P

Glad to hear you found a dell kiosk

Most stores offer service warranties too

Reinaldo
03-05-2003, 05:00 AM
Glad to hear you found a dell kiosk

I found it righ behind a (can it be???) Palm kiosk. :evilbat: The dark side is closer to our home ground. My friend toyed arroud with the palms and then (mercifully) said that the screen is not as good as the PPC. I can't imagine him buying a Palm after all of this. I didn't know Palm had a Palm kiosk?

Well, he's right now edging toward the Dell. He still wants the iPAQ for the size.

palmsolo
03-05-2003, 09:59 PM
I just traded my Dell Axim for an iPaq 1910 and $100 because I was experiencing constant lockups with the Dell and had to perform a ton of soft resets. I was also only able to get it to sync with my Windows XP desktop about 20% of the time. I review software so I needed something more dependable and consistent.

I had a Jornada 568 for about a year and a half and love HP products. After getting the 1910 I can tell you the display blows away the Dell, in my opinion, and is much more consistent. I have no problems with ActiveSync, just like when I had my solid 568.

I use a CLIE NX70V for reviews and found I did not need all the expansion of the Dell at this time. I am sure I will yearn for it again since I still have CF accessories, but it is refreshing to have a very small, solid Pocket PC.