View Full Version : USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 cable device?

vincentsiaw
02-26-2003, 05:46 AM
Can i use an USB 1.1 cable device to link to an USB 2.0 device? or should i buy a special cable for this purpose? because i got lot's of usb 1.1 cable but no usb 2.0 cable, thought want to safe some money to spend on other stuff :lol:

Pony99CA
02-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Can i use an USB 1.1 cable device to link to an USB 2.0 device? or should i buy a special cable for this purpose? because i got lot's of usb 1.1 cable but no usb 2.0 cable, thought want to safe some money to spend on other stuff :lol:
According to Everything USB (http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm):

USB 2.0 also uses the same USB 1.1 compliant cables to connect high-speed devices. However, classic USB hubs will slow down USB 2.0 devices.

So it doesn't sound like there are USB 2.0 cables. With higher speed, though, I'd think you might want more noise reduction to avoid errors (crosstalk, EMI, etc.), but I'm no hardware guy. ;-)

Steve

ironguy
02-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Cable is cable, at least for the most part. There really is no such thing as a protocol driven cable, although there are cables optimized for specific uses. Examples would include shielded cables, unidirectional cables, etc. Most connection cables are capable of near light speed transmission of data. A good shielded 1.1 USB cable should definitiely handle USB without batting an eye... if it had eyes, but that would be a specialty cable.