View Full Version : WTB: GPS Device that will work with MapPoint

MitzEclipse
02-26-2003, 02:14 AM
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new or used GPS Device that will work with Mappoint to map my exact location and give me point to point directions.

Please send all offers via email to: [email protected]

I have tons of references: www.mitzeclipse.com

Thanks!

ctmagnus
02-27-2003, 07:56 AM
What type of device are yoy connecting the GPS to?

MitzEclipse
03-04-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi,

I will be connecting to a the following laptops: IBM Thinkpad T23 and Compaq Armada m700 and the following PDAs: Compaq iPAQ and Palm Tungsten T.

I know there probably won't be a universal connector for all of these devices...

I am looking for somthing like the Garmin eTrex series GPS... or anything else.

Thanks!

ctmagnus
03-04-2003, 11:38 PM
Hi,

I will be connecting to a the following laptops: IBM Thinkpad T23 and Compaq Armada m700 and the following PDAs: Compaq iPAQ and Palm Tungsten T.

I know there probably won't be a universal connector for all of these devices...

I am looking for somthing like the Garmin eTrex series GPS... or anything else.

Thanks!

You can get a serial cable from Garmin for the eTrex series. Don't know if the laptops have serial ports but if not you should be able to get a USB to serial adaptor (or two) to connect the GPS to them.

I use a RS-232 serial cable (236251-B21) with my iPaq 3670, it will work with 31xx and 37xx also. For 38xx+, use the Garmin cable, serial autosynch cable and a null modem adaptor and a gender changer such that, when stuck together, the female ends are exposed.

It should look like

Garmin cable (male end) <--> (female end) null modem/gender changer (female end) <--> (male end) iPaq serial cable

As for the Palm, God only knows. I would assume they would have some sort of this type of functionality built in as they are the newset version but I tend to avoid palms as much as possible.