View Full Version : What's the difference between a crossover and normal networking cable?

vincentsiaw
02-26-2003, 12:01 AM
guys need your help, i don't know what's the diffrence between between a crossover and normal networking cable. if i want to link 2 pc together via NIC card, if it possible to just use the crossover cable without the hub?

Kevin C. Tofel
02-26-2003, 12:25 AM
A crossover cable is made specifically to do what you want to do: connect two Ethernet devices strictly through cable media and without a hub. You can go NIC to NIC with a crossover cable, but not with a standard networking cable.

The difference between a network cable and a crossover cable is the way the wires inside the cable are "sequenced", i.e.: the order you can see them in when you look at the RG-45 jack case on each end.

To get technical (in case you want to make your own crossover cables!), the wires for the two ends of a crossover would be like this:

Wire 1 = Wire 3
Wire 2 = Wire 6
Wire 3 = Wire 1
Wire 6 = Wire 2

Wires 4, 5, 7, and 8 are "open" or unused for this type of application.

Here's a nice overview in case you want more detail: Network Cable (http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm)

vincentsiaw
02-26-2003, 12:31 AM
wow Kevin, thanks for your anwser, man, that's mean i only have to buy a crossover cable to connect my notebook and PC. your answer really save me alot of mone man!

Sven Johannsen
02-26-2003, 05:18 AM
As an interesting point, there are two wiring standards commonly used in Cat 5 Cable, T568A & T568B. The difference is in what color wire goes to what pin. If you wire one end T568A, and the other T568B, you have a crossover cable.