View Full Version : Microsoft Smartphone 2002 FAQ

Ed Hansberry
02-25-2003, 04:00 PM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/smartphone/club/support/spfaqeu.asp">http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/smartphone/club/support/spfaqeu.asp</a><br /><br />Thinking about getting a Smartphone device or have questions about the platform? This FAQ provided by Microsoft is a good place to start. It doesn't appear complete though. I was looking for "Where can I buy a Smartphone in the Nashville TN area" and that question doesn't seem to be there. :wink:

entropy1980
02-25-2003, 04:16 PM
"Where can I buy a Smartphone in the Nashville TN area" and that question doesn't seem to be there. :wink:

heck I'd be happy if it was "Where can I buy one in North America?"
:?

Sven Johannsen
02-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Well, for once, the folks in England/Europe don't have to be the ones waiting for the release.

mscdex
02-25-2003, 04:20 PM
It's a nice FAQ to start out with. But for me, I won't be using MS Smartphones until they are cheap enough, and the rates a lower and more affordable.

Janak Parekh
02-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Well, for once, the folks in England/Europe don't have to be the ones waiting for the release.
Hmm? Generally they get any mobile-enabled stuff first. Witness the PPC PE, the SPV, etc. etc... as well as the SE P800, the Nokia 7650, etc.

--janak

Ed Hansberry
02-25-2003, 05:10 PM
It's a nice FAQ to start out with. But for me, I won't be using MS Smartphones until they are cheap enough, and the rates a lower and more affordable.
I understand the Orange SPV is around 99 pounds with a contract in the UK.

entropy1980
02-25-2003, 05:12 PM
99 pounds that's a pretty heavy phone!! :lol: :lol:

bdegroodt
02-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Am I reading this correctly? It looks like you have to choose between if you want to have the local folders synced from Outlook via ActiveSync (Like we do now with the PPC) or the ability to pull your POP/IMAP email from the road?

Using ActiveSync, you can transfer mail from the main Inbox in Outlook to your Smartphone. If you sync your mail this way, the Inbox on your Smartphone also defaults to ActiveSync when you're on the go. To send and receive mail from your handset, you'd need an Exchange server running special software. However if you are willing to forgo syncing your Inbox through ActiveSync, you can send and receive email from one POP3 or IMAP account right from your ActiveSync. All the setup steps necessary to change your Inbox to an independent mailbox are done on the Smartphone itself.

Ed Hansberry
02-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Am I reading this correctly? It looks like you have to choose between if you want to have the local folders synced from Outlook via ActiveSync (Like we do now with the PPC) or the ability to pull your POP/IMAP email from the road
I don't know the specifics but there is only one email account available - not multiple like on the Pocket PC. However, I understood that to be ActiveSync and POP or IMAP, not ActiveSync or POP/IMAP. the FAQ certainly seems to read "or" doesn't it.

brntcrsp
02-25-2003, 06:04 PM
One thing not mentioned that I've been wondering about for a while, will the phone allow web browsing, email, data usage, etc. while in voice mode?

Can one use data services at the same time as voice services on the HTC PPCPE?

apeguero
02-25-2003, 07:08 PM
How about a carrier? Do any of you know which carriers will offer this phone technology?

NeilE
02-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Regarding the pricing, the SPV is available in the U.K. for 99 pounds or less. Several on-line sites are/were offering the phone for free if you signed up for a 12 month contract.

Smartphone 2002 only supports one e-mail account at a time. That means ActiveSync OR IMAP/POP, not AND. If you want to get your e-mail while mobile and at your desk you have to connect using IMAP/POP and desktop passthrough.

mscdex
02-26-2003, 05:37 AM

Well, I meant for us users here in the States.

Ed Hansberry
02-26-2003, 02:03 PM

Well, in that case, then you won't be using them at any price until they are sold here. :wink:

mscdex
02-26-2003, 10:13 PM

Well, in that case, then you won't be using them at any price until they are sold here. :wink:

I know, I'm saying when they do come out here, I won't be getting them until their rates and phones are cheap enough, like something comparable to regular telephone lines (Cell phone rates aren't the best nowadays).