View Full Version : Video Store Clerks

Rirath
02-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Alright folks, here's the thing. Since I left Staples awhile back I've been totally unemployed. I don't mean in a collecting unemployment and can't get a job sorta way... but in a I'm flat broke and happy with what I've got sorta way. At any rate, spring is almost here and it seems like a good time to get moving again. (Not to mention I've got fall tuition to come up with. :wink: )

So, a quick search of local jobs seems that video store clerk is my best bet. Has anyone here either a) worked a video store or b) know someone who has? I'm just curious how bad it is, what goes on that the customer doesn't see. Any good employee perks or is the whole getting releases early and free rentals thing just a myth?

At any rate, my dream job is in the web field... but until then, I'd rather slack off as much as humanly possible. :wink:
Any advice on getting started small time in the Web Dev field would also be much appreciated.

Pat Logsdon
02-25-2003, 04:28 PM
I live in a college town which can actually still support a few independent (non-chain) stores, and I worked at a video store for a week or two to help the owner out while he was out of town. It was ok.

It's almost a cliche now, but I REALLY DID have people come in and ask if we had that "one movie with that guy in it with the glass eye. He was also in that movie with that guy who played the jerk in Top Gun...what's his name?" (Wim Wender's "Wings of Desire", with Peter Falk, who was also in "Princess Bride" with Cary Elwes, who was the jerk in "Top Gun", in case you're on the edge of your seat with anticipation :roll:)

But I think that if you could handle working at Staples, you can probably handle working at a video store. Plus, if anyone gives you trouble, you can always switch their video with "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" - guaranteed to annoy.

I can't remember anything weird going on "behind the scenes", but then again, we didn't carry adult titles. I've heard horror stories about working in places with those...

As far as getting into web stuff, have you thought about freelancing? If you know a little HTML and some basic db stuff, you can make some decent money.

Rirath
02-26-2003, 12:34 AM
It's almost a cliche now, but I REALLY DID have people come in and ask if we had that "one movie with that guy in it with the glass eye. He was also in that movie with that guy who played the jerk in Top Gun...what's his name?"

:lol: Must have wireless access to IMDB.com on the Axim... check.

As far as getting into web stuff, have you thought about freelancing? If you know a little HTML and some basic db stuff, you can make some decent money.

Which will probably be my only choice. This area's too small to be hiring in fields like this right now. I do like the idea of freelance, just not the uncertainty. So hopefully small time job like a video store to pay the bills and some freelance on the side.

JackTheTripper
02-26-2003, 01:29 AM
Watch "Clerks" then get a job next to a convenience store.

Rirath
02-26-2003, 01:56 AM
Never seen it, but from the imdb.com info it looks pretty funny. I'll try and find it. Which reminds me of a wonderful website... http://www.customerssuck.com/