View Full Version : NetHack

Rirath
02-25-2003, 02:26 AM
Saw over at PocketGamer.org that a new NetHack is out! :) Despite loving text based MUDs, RPGs, Diablo, etc etc I have to admit I had never played NetHack. I just gave it a shot today, so far I'm really liking it.

I think I may actually like the DOS ASCII version better than the windows graphical tile set version, but on the pocket pc that could be a different story. I actually think the Dos ascii version is easier to learn.

So, how many NetHack players do we have here?

blazingwolf
02-25-2003, 02:48 AM
I play some but haven't completely figured it out yet. Never tried the ASCII version. perhaps this version will fix some of the problems I have had. Of course it could always just be me. :D

Rirath
02-25-2003, 03:18 AM
This is a really good read that should answer just about any question. Makes a lot more sense after playing at least once though.
http://nethack.sourceforge.net/v341/Guidebook.html#_TOCentry_1

Janak Parekh
02-25-2003, 03:22 AM
Saw over at PocketGamer.org that a new NetHack is out! :) Despite loving text based MUDs, RPGs, Diablo, etc etc I have to admit I had never played NetHack. I just gave it a shot today, so far I'm really liking it.
8O 8O 8O

Beware, NetHack is damned addictive. It is perhaps the most addictive single-player text-mode RPG there is. The game is nearly infinite (the number of people who have found the Amulet of Yendor are quite few), and extremely original.

I'm staying a mile away... I used up about 6 months of my life on Rogue (NetHack predecessor), and by my standards, that's a lot.

--janak

blazingwolf
02-25-2003, 03:41 AM
Thanks Rirath, appreciate the link.

Rirath
02-25-2003, 03:52 AM
Beware, NetHack is damned addictive. It is perhaps the most addictive single-player text-mode RPG there is. The game is nearly infinite (the number of people who have found the Amulet of Yendor are quite few), and extremely original.

I'm staying a mile away... I used up about 6 months of my life on Rogue (NetHack predecessor), and by my standards, that's a lot.

--janak

I know how that goes... some of my MUD characters I put well over 500 hours of game time into. Still, I wouldn't trade that time for anything. Actually I'm hoping I get addicted to this. :) I must admit, I really want to find that Amulet and survive. ;)

Reminds me a lot of an almost completely unknown Playstation game I love called Azure Dreams. I wonder if there's any chance at all it has some NetHack inspiration.

Paula
04-03-2004, 10:35 AM
One question, will Nethack work on a 2215?

Paula

clbsvi
04-06-2004, 05:01 AM
NetHack played well for me on an iPAQ 3600 series. Should run great on a 2215, but keep it off of an SD or CF card; ie, stay in main memory. PPC interface was somewhat too slow so I uninstalled it from the PPC and moved all to my Toshiba laptop. I totally agree that the "cussword-xxx@??##@@!!!!!" game is remarkably addictive, but otherwise totally captivating. My best character so far is a Male Elf Wizard armed with Magicbane +2 and Grayswandir +4 (GS), coupled with -16 AC and exp-level 20. Got all three vibrating square artifacts easily, killed the Wizard (first time) with a few GS strokes, but can't find the dadburn vibrating square. Oh, well; gotta do 2004 IRS taxes this week so maybe I can (hopefully) break the addiction cycle before April 15th.
Good Luck and have Fun !! Hope you have better self-control than I do.