View Full Version : Peter Kotiadis Reviews the iPAQ 1910 for Pocket PC Magazine

Jason Dunn
02-25-2003, 03:00 AM
<a href="http://www.pocketpcmag.com/May03/h1910.asp">http://www.pocketpcmag.com/May03/h1910.asp</a><br /><br />"I'm the kind of person that likes to scour the Web searching for pre-release pictures of Pocket PCs, as well as model specifications and manufacturer tidbits. By the time a new device makes it into consumers' hands, I pretty much know all there is to know about it. But pictures and spec sheets alone cannot do justice to HP's new iPAQ h1910 Pocket PC. It must be seen in person; it must be touched. <br /><br />Based on pictures floating around the Web, I assumed that the h1910 was nothing more than an inexpensive version of the standard iPAQ Pocket PC—a low-end device cobbled together to compete with the less-expensive Dell and ViewSonic Pocket PCs. But then I received a review unit from HP and discovered a stunning gadget full of groundbreaking design and engineering attributes."

Paragon
02-25-2003, 03:11 AM
Congratulations on being published Peter. You are doing us Canadians proud. :)

Dave

Foo Fighter
02-25-2003, 03:34 AM
Sorry to switch topics, but what's the latest word on the rumored BT 1910 model? There were some murmurs of such a device hitting the euro market, but that's the last I heard.

MPSmith
02-25-2003, 04:36 AM
Nice review. But one thing that struck me as odd was this quote:

"Another nice touch was the inclusion of an "earbud" (2.5mm jack) that lets you listen to stereo MP3 and WMA audio files..."

Why is a small headphone jack a nice touch? This is the first PPC review I've ever read that commented how great it was that a earbud was included, not to mention a 2.5mm one.

karinatwork
02-25-2003, 04:41 AM
I read every single review out there about this machine, and I love it, and I would definitively buy it ... but when, oh, WHEN will it FINALLY be available in CANADA?? Jason? Anyone??? :?

Paragon
02-25-2003, 04:45 AM
I read every single review out there about this machine, and I love it, and I would definitively buy it ... but when, oh, WHEN will it FINALLY be available in CANADA?? Jason? Anyone??? :?

Compusmart did have it showing a shipping date of today. It now just shows coming soon. Give them a call, and see if they can narrow it down a bit.
http://www.compusmart.com/product.asp?CatalogID=0&SupplierPartID=316230&CurrentSegment=Handheld+Devices

Dave

karinatwork
02-25-2003, 04:55 AM
Finally some light at the end of the tunnel...! :D

canadapocketpc
02-25-2003, 05:14 AM
Nice review. But one thing that struck me as odd was this quote:

"Another nice touch was the inclusion of an "earbud" (2.5mm jack) that lets you listen to stereo MP3 and WMA audio files..."

Why is a small headphone jack a nice touch? This is the first PPC review I've ever read that commented how great it was that a earbud was included, not to mention a 2.5mm one.

Sorry folks, bad writing. What I meant is that HP actually includes a pair of headphones (2.5mm style) that plug into the jack on the h1910. Nice touch!

Other than my T-Mobile XDA, most of the Pocket PCs I have purchased in the past did not include any headphones and required me to purchase my own.

I hope this clears it up for you. Thanks for truly reading the article.

Cheers....

Peter

jizmo
02-25-2003, 08:00 AM
It's a good user review that's easy reading to people that are new to PPC platform (which is good). But this part caught my eye:

"The h1910 sports the 200 MHz version of Intel's PXA250 XScale processor. The performance of the device is acceptable, and at least equal to the h3800 series iPAQs"

At least equal? The 3800 series of iPAQs with 206 StrongARM are still the most powerful devices around that play video files with no dropped frames. Even the current high-end 400mhz XScale processors can't archieve this, let alone the crippled 200mhz version.

/jizmo

vincentsiaw
02-25-2003, 09:34 AM
At least equal? The 3800 series of iPAQs with 206 StrongARM are still the most powerful devices around that play video files with no dropped frames. Even the current high-end 400mhz XScale processors can't archieve this, let alone the crippled 200mhz version.

/jizmo

what kind of video that 400 mhz iPAQ dropped frames? because when i do my benchmark, i didn't find that my 3900 series dropped a single frame a 25 fps WMV.