View Full Version : HELP - move Outlook Express email from one computer to another?

Gordo
02-24-2003, 03:14 PM
I need help moving my email from one computer to another. I purchased a new computer for my wife and am in the process of re-installing all of her applications on the computer and have run into a roadblock. How do I move her Outlook Express email, including folders and messages over to the new computer?

The address book I know can be exported and then imported.

acronym
02-24-2003, 06:12 PM
I think outlook has an export function, you can export all your messages/addresses and import them into the new computer. The method I use with outlook (not express) is find the .pst file on the old sytem and place it back in the correct folder.

Janak Parekh
02-24-2003, 06:26 PM
acronym, doing export in Outlook Express is a bit of a hassle IMHO -- it doesn't use .PST files, but rather .DBX files, one per folder.

I'd suggest finding the directory the .DBX files are contained in (these contain the messages). You can use Start/Find, or go into Outlook Express, and go to Tools -> Options -> Maintenance -> Store Folder. Grab all the files in that folder, and dump them into the new Store folder (don't assume that it's going to be the same, long, weird pathname - check it out there as well).

To move the addressbook, go to Start -> Run -> WAB - this will bring up the address book, and do an Export. Do an Import on the other machine.

--janak