View Full Version : Theme color fades?

lul1971
02-23-2003, 11:19 AM
I have downloaded af few themes (.tsk files), copy/pasted them into My Device (or My documnets -they show up both places no matter where I put them). But when I choose the theme (settings/today) they are pale -more transparent looking than the original/preview shown on for instance pocketpcthemes. How do I make the color right ? I know it might be easier to read the tekst on this faded background -but I prefer a little more "energy" on the screen.

Please someone help me :cry:

Paragon
02-23-2003, 03:52 PM
Be sure that your Theme Generator is not set for a certain amount of transparency. On MS's Theme Generator there is a stting on the first page for this.

This is also compounded by the fact that on most screens other than transflective screens color is changed quite significantly. Since you are using a Dell you shouldn't see as much color difference as you would on some other PPCs

Dave

yunez
02-23-2003, 07:30 PM
i noticed the color difference too, but i attribute it to the screen. You cant really expect perfect color reproduction compared to your $300 CRT/LCD

lul1971
02-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Be sure that your Theme Generator is not set for a certain amount of transparency. On MS's Theme Generator there is a stting on the first page for this.

I didn't make the themes myself, just d/l them from pocketpcthemes.com. I don't have a theme generator. -tried to install the free theme generator from microsoft but I can open the program -get an error saying something about i need an eksportfile: SHELL32.DLL:SKGETFolderPathA
No idea what it is, where to get it or were to put it if I had it!!
(any ideas?)

i noticed the color difference too, but i attribute it to the screen. You cant really expect perfect color reproduction compared to your $300 CRT/LCD

But the thing is I have themes that doesn't "loose" thier color. And the preinstalled themes look just fine! Why the difference?

Sslixtis
02-24-2003, 01:11 AM
This one is fairly simple to explain. When people are designing themes and you are previewing them, you are both seeing them displayed on a screen capiable of displaying 16 million colors, the best that a 16bit PPC screen can manage is 65,000 colors, hence the difference. Even if the theme designer takes this into account, there are also the various differences in models of PPCs as well, Reflective vs Transflective, iPaq vs Axim, etc... which will affect colors more subtly, but will still make viewing the themes different from PPC to PPC.

The best way to get the look you want is to make it yourself and alter the colors accordingly after actually seeing the theme on your PPC.

HTH, Cheers!

spinedoc
02-24-2003, 01:41 AM
I am having quite a bit of trouble with this and I can say with some certainty that it is NOT the resolution nor the color depth. I used a certain picture as my today screen for a couple of days, it looked great, etc. Then after playing around with my today screen and switching different pictures, I reinstalled the original pic I had inthe today screen. It is super dull and faded, but it is the same pic I had before!!

I can only assume that one of the graphical programs I installed messed up the transparency setting. I cant tell which one bc in the last 2 days I have installed like 10 programs.

PetiteFlower
02-24-2003, 02:56 AM
Completely unrelated, but thanks for the Pocket PC Themes site info, they have really cool stuff on there! I now have a very sexy picture of Aragorn as my background :)

Though, I have not experienced any of the themes looked faded. Some of them were blurry but the colors have all looked fine to me.

lul1971
02-24-2003, 09:24 AM
This one is fairly simple to explain. When people are designing themes and you are previewing them, you are both seeing them displayed on a screen capiable of displaying 16 million colors, the best that a 16bit PPC screen can manage is 65,000 colors, hence the difference. Even if the theme designer takes this into account, there are also the various differences in models of PPCs as well, Reflective vs Transflective, iPaq vs Axim, etc... which will affect colors more subtly, but will still make viewing the themes different from PPC to PPC.

That makes sence -and I would love to make my own themes but as mentioned above I can't run MS Theme generator in win 98.

Anyone know of a theme genrator (preferable free) that works with win98??

lul1971
02-24-2003, 09:25 AM
Then after playing around with my today screen and switching different pictures, I reinstalled the original pic I had inthe today screen. It is super dull and faded, but it is the same pic I had before!!

My themes havn't changed like that -that sure sounds strange!

Sslixtis
02-24-2003, 02:49 PM
I use ThemeMakerPT (http://www.pocketthemes.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_27&products_id=32) and I believe the only limitation to the Demo is that you can't upload to PocketThemes.com (http://www.pocketthemes.com/index.php) with a single click. It's compatible with Win 98. Also have you tried MS Theme Generator V2.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/downloads/powertoys.asp)? It's supposed to be Win 98 compatible as well.

Cheers!

lul1971
02-24-2003, 09:58 PM
I use ThemeMakerPT and I believe the only limitation to the Demo is that you can't upload to PocketThemes.com with a single click. It's compatible with Win 98. Also have you tried MS Theme Generator V2.0? It's supposed to be Win 98 compatible as well.

Yes I have tried MS Theme GeneratorV2.0 and that's the one I can't run although it is supposed to work on win 98. I'll give ThemeMakerPT a try.
Thanks

spinedoc
02-25-2003, 03:03 AM
Does anyone know of a theme generator that can upload non standard size pictures? I run in landscape mode and would like to set the transparency.

So far all the theme generators I have seen make you resize the picture to 240X320.

Stone
03-17-2003, 09:36 PM
There are no theme generator programs that will work with landscape view that I am aware of.