View Full Version : My program wont terminate! Gave dialog 'child' properties, doesnt show in task manager..

PPCdev
02-22-2003, 10:43 AM
In an effort to figure out how to get the Smart Minimize working, I got the dialog's property to Child, and executed it on my PPC.

The program works just fine, now when I click the X the dispaly goes away.

However, when I made some changes to the program and tried to execute them again, after it was compiled I got an error "Couldnt upload your program because it is still running on the device".

So, I go look in the task bar, and test8 is not running! (test8.exe). I have PocketNAV running also, so I look there. Doesnt show, cant close it.

Now, I run the program, and check with PocketNAV and it *still* doesnt show! But the application is in front of the Today Screen and RUNNING!

I cant delete with TotalCommander or FileManager, wont let me, as if it were running.

So, Im guessing my application is still running in the backgaround. Ive done severl soft resets and nothing... Situation remains the same!

Help! I gotta kill this process! Ive searched the net and I must the be only fool thats gotten in this situation! :-) Cant find help ANYWHERE!

Andrew

Pony99CA
02-22-2003, 12:58 PM
However, when I made some changes to the program and tried to execute them again, after it was compiled I got an error "Couldnt upload your program because it is still running on the device".

So, I go look in the task bar, and test8 is not running! (test8.exe). I have PocketNAV running also, so I look there. Doesnt show, cant close it.

Now, I run the program, and check with PocketNAV and it *still* doesnt show! But the application is in front of the Today Screen and RUNNING!

I cant delete with TotalCommander or FileManager, wont let me, as if it were running.

So, Im guessing my application is still running in the backgaround. Ive done severl soft resets and nothing... Situation remains the same!

Help! I gotta kill this process! Ive searched the net and I must the be only fool thats gotten in this situation! :-) Cant find help ANYWHERE!

I don't know why you didn't post this in your previous thread, as it seems related. Anyway, let's try a few things.

First, does anything show up in the Memory settings applet under Running Programs? If so, can you use Stop there?

Second, have you tried a process viewer to kill the task? I like PocketTools from Citadel Development (http://www.citadeldevelopment.com/products/pockettools.asp). Pocket NAV just sounds like a task switcher, not a process viewer.

Finally, if nothing works, a soft reset will surely kill the process. :-)

Steve

PPCdev
02-22-2003, 01:46 PM
I don't know why you didn't post this in your previous thread, as it seems related. Anyway, let's try a few things.

First, does anything show up in the Memory settings applet under Running Programs? If so, can you use Stop there?

Second, have you tried a process viewer to kill the task? I like PocketTools from Citadel Development (http://www.citadeldevelopment.com/products/pockettools.asp). Pocket NAV just sounds like a task switcher, not a process viewer.

Finally, if nothing works, a soft reset will surely kill the process. :-)

Steve

Steve,
Yes, its somewhat related, but its a separate issue.

PocketNAV is a very good program, it allows me to switch task and to close task. It was never listed in there.

The app was also never listed in the Settings/Memory tab either.

Soft resets did *not* stop it!

I ended up doing a hard reset and restore from a 3 day old backup, lucky me! That, did fix it.

Ill look into the PocketTools, I was really looking for something that would view processes, not just task. :-( I did see the page, I may not have read it close enough to see it could list procs.

Thanks for the reply,
Andrew

Pony99CA
02-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Soft resets did *not* stop it!

I ended up doing a hard reset and restore from a 3 day old backup, lucky me! That, did fix it.
As far as I know, that's not possible. A soft reset is equivalent to rebooting your Pocket PC, so, unless you installed your program in the Startup folder (or the registry start up list), the program will stop when you soft reset. In fact, if it required a hard reset to kill, I bet that's what happened.

What kind of program is it? A SIP will probably be started automatically after a soft reset, for example.

Ill look into the PocketTools, I was really looking for something that would view processes, not just task. :-( I did see the page, I may not have read it close enough to see it could list procs.

Do you think I would have gone through that whole discussion about task viewers vs. process viewers in my previous post if Pocket Tools was not a process viewer? It has a Process tab, and I just killed a process on my iPAQ using the Kill Process link.

Here's a quote from the Pocket Tools page I linked you to:

Monitor and manipulate running Processes in the device.

If you don't like Pocket Tools or prefer a lighter tool (Pocket Tools takes a while to start up because it does so much), there's also PHM Task Manager (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/taskmgr.asp) (which also has a process manager). I just tried it again, and it got hung when trying to view the Applications tab, but the process view worked fine. However, it didn't seem to allow me to actually kill a process (even though it said it did). Maybe it will work better for you.

Steve

PPCdev
02-23-2003, 09:59 PM
As far as I know, that's not possible.
I agree, but it happened.

unless you installed your program in the Startup folder (or the registry start up list)
Nada to both. I may be a VC++ newbie, but Im not a total idiot. :-)
The program went in the default location on the PPC, the Start Menu.

What kind of program is it?
It was an MFC dialog, but I set its properties to Child. I dont see how it let me do that when I didnt have any other set as Overlay, assuming Overlay would have been its parent.

Do you think I would have gone through that whole discussion about task viewers vs. process viewers in my previous post if Pocket Tools
Previous POST or previous REPLY? If your talking about REPLY, I got Pocket Tools after I read your post, but it was after I did a hard reset to resolve the problem.

If your talking about POST, I didnt see it.

I dont know if hiding the terminate "OK" but not giving the Smart Minimize along with assigning the dialog a Child property did it or not, but Ill try not to set that combination again!

Thanks for the pointers on Pocket Tools, its a great app.
Andrew

Pony99CA
02-24-2003, 02:22 AM
unless you installed your program in the Startup folder (or the registry start up list)
Nada to both. I may be a VC++ newbie, but Im not a total idiot. :-)
The program went in the default location on the PPC, the Start Menu.

Maybe you didn't put it there, but the installation did? Did you check the StartUp folder and the registry to ensure it wasn't there?

What kind of program is it?
It was an MFC dialog, but I set its properties to Child. I dont see how it let me do that when I didnt have any other set as Overlay, assuming Overlay would have been its parent.

I was asking what the program was suppsed to do actually. I haven't done any programming on the Pocket PC except testing out a sample SIP. That's why I mentioned that a SIP would be started automatically (although it might require a soft reset to fire it up).

Do you think I would have gone through that whole discussion about task viewers vs. process viewers in my previous post if Pocket Tools
Previous POST or previous REPLY?

A REPLY is a POST to another POST, but both are POSTs. Note the button that says "Post Reply" when viewing a forum thread. :-D

Anyway, try your zombie program again, and this time see if Pocket Tools can kill it. I'm curious to know. Just do a backup first in case you have to do another hard reset. :-)

Steve