View Full Version : what's the difference b/w ARM, MIPS, SH3

acizurqpid
02-22-2003, 04:10 AM
i'm new to the pocket pc scene...can someone tell what what the difference is between ARM, MIPS, SH3....are they just processor types and can someone tell me what units have these processors? and is the xscale just another addition to these?

Pony99CA
02-22-2003, 04:22 AM
i'm new to the pocket pc scene...can someone tell what what the difference is between ARM, MIPS, SH3....are they just processor types and can someone tell me what units have these processors? and is the xscale just another addition to these?
Somebody posted the almost-identical question not quite five hours before you did. A search on "ARM MIPS" would have found it. See the "newbie: ARM, MIPS, etc etc... ???" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9109), where you'll find some answers.

Steve

isrjt
02-22-2003, 04:29 AM
ARM - Started with Ipaq at 200 mHz, includes most if not all newer Pocket PCs.

SH3 - jornadas 525/548 (does not incude 568, its ARM)

MIPS - older Casios

X-scale - essentially as ARM based processor with enhancements

If you have a newer Pocket PC all you need to worry about is that it is ARM compatible. Since each machine was using a different processor, some programs are broken down into processor specific compiles.

Sorry, my explanation is not great , but it should do the trick. MS standardized the processor to make life easier on people.