View Full Version : Access Database Sync

jycc
02-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Can anyone explain to me how the synchronization works with Pocket Access? Why does Active Sync create new tables when you try to do this? I can't find anyone that can tell me the actual process Active Sync uses when you try to sync a database with a Pocket PC. I also get error messages about trying to assign the null value to a variable that is not a variant data type??????

Help!!!!

Thanks.

Sunnyone
02-21-2003, 09:13 PM
Kaber, was it necessary to respond so abruptly to someone's very first post?

Just mentioning you found it on Google would have been sufficient, IMHO.

Kaber
02-21-2003, 09:13 PM
You're going to have to go into more detail about what you are trying to do and what software you are using.

Databases on Pocket PC are very tricky to use and not very well implemented on their own. You may need to check out a third party solution like one of those found on Handango (http://www.handango.com/PlatformSearch.jsp?siteId=1&jid=BBC2D94C815EE31X97F87BXEADAE5D4D&optionId=1%5F2%5F2&txtSearch=database&platformId=2). Sorry I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry, I removed the rude post.

Sunnyone
02-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Sorry, Kaber, you deleted it while I was posting. :oops: :oops: :oops:

jycc
02-21-2003, 09:20 PM
I have looked this up on google but can't seem to find the answer to my questions but thanks for the insight. I use google all the time. As a matter of fact, I had reviewed the article you referred me to in your earlier post.

I used Access to create a database. I am using SprintdbPro on the Pocket PC. My question is: why does Active Sync create duplicate tables on my desktop? I have a field in each table that has an autonumber field. When an operator adds a new record, it automatically adds a number but Active Sync doesn't seem to like this. I don't understand what is going on and what I need to do. I don't like the duplicate tables created - all I want to do is have the guys take the Pocket PC into the field, take their readings, come back in the office and sync up to the database in the tables set up for this.

I've spent HOURS researching why the duplicate tables are created and can't find an answer.

Thanks again!

Kaber
02-21-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm looking...

Kaber
02-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Have you checked through this forum (http://www.inthehand.com/forums/)? A lot of good stuff there about databases on ppc.

Kaber
02-21-2003, 09:40 PM
So you made an Access db then you sync'd it down to the PPC then a guy goes into the field and enters data via SprintDB then comes back then syncs, then dupe tables show up in the Access db?

Is that right?

Some questions.

Is this a regular MS Access database (not running off SQL Server or anything)?

Is there more than one PPC syncing to the database?

jycc
02-21-2003, 09:46 PM
He takes the readings, syncs back up and the new reading shows up in the duplicate table. I wrote a macro that copies the information from that table to the original table but this doesn't make sense. It should synchronize with the original table and I don't understand the duplicate tables. I spoke with a guy that wrote one program that you can use to sync up a database and he couldn't explain this to me - he couldn't even tell me the process. He said it was Active Sync and I would need to contact Microsoft. Microsoft offers no support on this subject so I am still as confused as ever on why Active Sync creates duplicate tables.

Another thing we are trying to avoid is keeping all the information on the pocket pc once it has synchronized with the desktop. There are 14 tables with over 100 readings per table and this will certainly slow down a pocket pc once it gets loaded down with records.

Thanks for trying to get me an answer.

Kaber
02-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Grrr... I hate Activesync. Sorry if I fired off a bit early. Microsoft's solution would be to invest in SQL server and Mobile Information Server and a couple other huge cost licensing plans I'm sure.

Like I always say, I don't know if it helps, but this article on DNJ Online (http://www.dnjonline.com/articles/mobility/iss25_mobility_SQL.asp) has some insights into the shortcomings of .CDBs.

Bah, I'm just grabbing at straws now, sorry dude.