View Full Version : Need Help with activesync!!!

Bearjaw
02-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Ok so I just upgraded to XP pro. I tried to sync my Axim after the upgrade and it was always saying it could not sync. So I uninstalled Active sync 3.6 that came with XP pro ands installed the Activesync from the dell CD. Everything goes good until it finds 4 changes in my contacts and then it gives me this message

"There was no response from your device while checking for out of date Appointments. Disconnect your device and try again. If the problem persists, reset your device according to your manufacturers documentation and synchronize again."

I have disonnected...soft rest..same message. I have done this a few times now. I synced a few times before I started getting this message So I am hopelessly lost now. If some one has any advice PLEASE HELP!!! Jeff

JoeMoon
02-21-2003, 04:57 PM
...If some one has any advice PLEASE HELP!!! Jeff

Jeff,

I understand your pain... I have the Dell Axim and recently started finding some new ActiveSync (AS) quirks. Try unselecting all of the sync options expect one in AS. If it works, add another option and repeat until you find the option that is causing the trouble. I found that when I unselected INBOX that the same error your receiving went away... When I reactivated INBOX, the problem reappeared. What makes it odd is that I don't experience these problems when I sync through my wireless connection.

Joe...

martinkas
02-21-2003, 05:13 PM
I just experienced the exact same problem today, and unselecting the Inbox solved it. I'm not even sure why the Inbox is the problem, I had no mail going in or out. I'm just glad this post came up at the right moment, this would have driven me crazy. Thanks!

ux4484
02-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Also try connecting directly to a USB port, and not through a hub, SOME folks (including me) have had this tick.
You'll also have troubles if you're set up for wifi sync and have the wifi card installed while in the cradle if your settings are not right.

Bearjaw
02-21-2003, 08:46 PM
thanks for the help i'll try out the tips now!

Bearjaw
02-22-2003, 02:02 AM
So I tried the tricks and nothing. Now I get a message on my Axim that reads something like this-

Communications Error- Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. Winsock services could not start due to a critical error(Error %d)

It told me to reconnect the device but it said the same thing as the previous post. I'm afraid I may have to Hard rest and start from scraatch. Jeff

Paragon
02-23-2003, 04:01 PM
"There was no response from your device while checking for out of date Appointments. Disconnect your device and try again. If the problem persists, reset your device according to your manufacturers documentation and synchronize again."

Normally if you get this error if you go to Activesync and change the rules to "replace what is on your device" then sync, it kills that error. You can then go back and reset your rules to the way they were. In effect you are finding and removing that one email, or file that is causing the error.

Dave

davee4422
03-21-2003, 04:55 AM
I am having the exact same problem Bearjaw had (the first post here), and spent 50 minutes with a tech guy from Dell - but came away with no solution. After reading these, I'll try some of these "fixes" tomorrow when I get to my PC at work. I presume when you all say to go to ActiveSync that you are doing this on your PC, not on the PDA, right? JoeMoon suggested in the second entry that when he unselected the INBOX that it seemed to help. I've never had that one selected.

With the tech guy I unselected the Calendar option so it wouldn't sync that one, since it was referencing the out-of-date appointments. What it did was to move to the next one I had selected, which was Tasks! So, I'm not sure what to think about that.

I completely uninstalled ActiveSync from my PC (I even attempted upgrading it to ActiveSync 3.6 to no avail before I called Dell tech guy), but it still does the same thing!

My USB goes straight into the USB port and not through a hub, as ux4484 suggested.

I also had changed the rules to "replace what is on your device" and resynced, but to no avail. (I'm going to double check that this is what I did on my work PC today, just to make sure.)

I am wondering, Bearjaw, if you ever got yours working? If you did, which I certainly hope you did, what worked??!! I guess I'm not sure what to do if all of this doesn't work. I am moving files, etc., to my SD card (which just came in the mail today!) as I have a hunch I may have to do a Hard Reset. I'd really rather not do this, but it wouldn't be the end of the world as I've only had the Axim 2 weeks.

Thanks for any input!

davee4422
03-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Never mind. After the many, many hours spent trying to figure it out, calling Dell, posting here, I finally did a Hard Reset, and within about half an hour of reinstalling everything life is wonderful again! I think I got it all back to where it was and I'm good to go.

Of course, I've only had my Axim 2 or 3 weeks, so I don't have a lot of stuff on there yet. If, however, it goes out this fall it will be a much better story. The good thing is it's up and running again. The bad news is that I have no idea what caused the problem, and hence I have no idea how to prevent it.

So gehts im leben!

clarkth
08-02-2003, 11:58 PM
I used to have this out-of-date issue with my iPaq when I synced with an old laptop, but I recently upgraded to a new Dell 8300 desktop. Everything was working fine for 3 months until last week and this error started showing up again! At first I could just disconnect and soft reset my iPaq, but today I was connected and had synced all my files fine, then about 20 minutes later the connection broke and no matter what I try now I'm getting the out-of-date error.

There have been many posts on this and other forums, but no one has ever solved the problem or had a solution that worked all the time. What is the deal here? I have to think it is an ActiveSync issue since it happens on different PPC's and desktops.

Any other suggestions to fix this problem?

goirish!!
08-03-2003, 03:15 AM
After upgrading to XP Home my Ax would no longer sync. I tried everything and then some. Dell updated drivers, origional Dell CDROM drivers, Active Sync 3.5-3.6, deleting all partnerships on the Ax, plugging in to USB2.0 ports, USB1.X ports, USB hubs, USB PCI card, anything anyone could come up with I tired. Then as a last resort a hard reset on the Ax and everything is corrected!!!!

There is something about the partnership rules from one M$ OS to XP that causes probs. I've spent HOURS on the boards reading and it was always the same, someone upgrades to a new computer with XP and then BOOM their Ax is dead. Now this is not to say that it happens all the time, about half of the people responding to the boards were saying that they had no issues when moving from Win98, 2000, etc to XP. But there were just too many people having similar issues for it to be a fluke problem.