View Full Version : BillG Doesn't Use A Pocket PC?

Ed Hansberry
02-21-2003, 07:00 PM
<a href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,889423,00.asp">http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,889423,00.asp</a><br /><br />"I'm not the heaviest PDA user in the company. I'm thinking about doing it, but so much of my communication goes through my administration assistant that, to a certain extent, she is my PDA."<br /><br />Oh Bill. The shame. :( What you need is a personal tutor on the benefits of using the Pocket PC. Your own person to be with you at work and point out how this and that can be enhanced with a Pocket PC. Your own personal MVP! Yeah. Just PM me when you read this and we'll work out the details, ok? :lol:

lipinski77
02-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Does BillG's assistant use a PDA to be a PDA?

I think i just confused myself. :?

james

JoeMoon
02-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Maybe if Bill used a PDA we would get some of the bugs fixed in ActiveSync!

Jonathan1
02-21-2003, 07:34 PM
What does that say for the future of the product when the chief software architect (Silly name for god of Microsoft) doesn't even use his own products? Hmmm I wonder if Ballmer uses one? :?

Ed Hansberry
02-21-2003, 07:38 PM
What does that say for the future of the product when the chief software architect doesn't even use his own products? Hmmm I wonder if Ballmer uses one? :?
I doubt BillG uses Project 2002 either. The real issue here is what is easier to do? A PDA is a billion times easier than paper, but an assistant that is with you all of the time and speaks your language is probably easier than the PDA.

And yes - Ballmer does use a Pocket PC when traveling and a Tablet PC when in the office. That was confirmed at the Summit. The boisterous MVPs in the Mobile Device group were quite embarrassing when Steve mentioned that. I refused to sit with them the rest of the week. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hrianto
02-21-2003, 07:39 PM
I can not afford the cost of Personal Assistant that why I go with Personal Digital Assistant which is way-way cheaper. I guess BG has options on this one. :roll:

Timothy Rapson
02-21-2003, 07:41 PM
What next? The head of GM doesn't even drive? He has a chaufer?

I doubt Bill uses a PC anymore either, though he did actually write code for a lot longer than other software company owners who went to the top. He said, he just plain liked writing programs.

He at least knows how they operate, I have seen him use them in videos.

My bet is that he uses each one once and then they go in the bin for Beth to give away at shows. Sounds fine to me. :wink:

ux4484
02-21-2003, 08:14 PM
He at least knows how they operate, I have seen him use them in videos.

heh.....He's trained on how to use them via a Powerpoint given to him by his Personal Assistant :D

So next time they should hit his assistant in the face with the pie ;)

Jonathan1
02-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Here is a somewhat related question. What DOES Bill use in terms of tech? I mean the guy has how much money? What type of laptop? Or subnotebooks? Or Tablet PC? Dang I hate when I think this stuff up. Now I really want to know....

Also Are Palms banned from MS campus? And the reverse are Pocket PCs banned from Palm?

PapaSmurfDan
02-21-2003, 08:17 PM
&lt;Humor>Has anyone tought about what if Bill uses a Palm or other compeating device? &lt;/Humor>

Seriously, I am a bit surpised that he doesn't use a PPC but then again why does he really need one? I would hope is PA uses a PPC. If you read the article, Bill uses a SPOT watch for much of the PDA type tasks.

Grr, he has way too many cool toys.

wjsteele
02-21-2003, 08:21 PM
...Hmmm I wonder if Ballmer uses one? :?

Yes, SteveB uses one. If anybody saw me doing his demo in Detriot at the developers conference, we pulled it out and used it as part of the presentation.

(By the way... it's an HTC Pocket PC Phone Edition prototype)

Bill

John Cody
02-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Maybe if Bill used a PDA we would get some of the bugs fixed in ActiveSync!

LOL :o

Sunnyone
02-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Not too surprised he doesn't use a PPC. He has enough money to pay others to use them for him :)

What I thought was interesting was the home system he was talking about. He mentioned that people come to his house just to see it. Do ya think I could get an invitation?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

murph
02-21-2003, 09:22 PM
shame on Bill! doesn't he know how cool the PPC:PE is??? someone revoke his geek card.

Will T Smith
02-21-2003, 09:35 PM
shame on Bill! doesn't he know how cool the PPC:PE is??? someone revoke his geek card.

Bill's "geek card" has always been honorary in nature. He's never really been very technically savvy or visionary. After all, this is the guy who drew the line at 64k and initally downplayed the importance of the internet.

Gates is a cunning and shrewed businessman who would give Carnegie, Rockefeller, and JP Morgan a serious schooling in business. The fact that his industry is computers and technology is just ancillary.

Paragon
02-21-2003, 09:35 PM
I refused to sit with them the rest of the week. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmmm.....Are you sure it wasn't the other way around, Ed? :D

Dave

Ed@Brighthand
02-21-2003, 09:41 PM
Also Are Palms banned from MS campus?
They started off the last Mobius meeting by telling everyone to please not feel unconfortable about using their Palm OS handhelds. And plenty of people were using Mac laptops, too.

Bill Gunn
02-21-2003, 10:02 PM
What does that say for the future of the product when the chief software architect doesn't even use his own products? Hmmm I wonder if Ballmer uses one? :?
I doubt BillG uses Project 2002 either. The real issue here is what is easier to do? A PDA is a billion times easier than paper, but an assistant that is with you all of the time and speaks your language is probably easier than the PDA.

And yes - Ballmer does use a Pocket PC when traveling and a Tablet PC when in the office. That was confirmed at the Summit. The boisterous MVPs in the Mobile Device group were quite embarrassing when Steve mentioned that. I refused to sit with them the rest of the week. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's not an excuse. It would be like Bill Ford saying "No, I don't really like to drive a Ford automobile to board meetings. It's easier for me to take the train, I guess you could say the train is my car"

Bill Gates should carry a PPC and be seen with it, even if he never uses it as a PDA.

Jonathan1
02-21-2003, 10:23 PM
That's not an excuse. It would be like Bill Ford saying "No, I don't really like to drive a Ford automobile to board meetings. It's easier for me to take the train, I guess you could say the train is my car"

Bill Gates should carry a PPC and be seen with it, even if he never uses it as a PDA.

Bill....yes and no. Thinking on Eds comment. Would it be possible for Gates to use ALL of MS's products? X-Box, Tablet PC, Pocket PC, etc. Highly doubtful. No one wants to be turned into a walking bill(Pun intended) board. Maybe he really doesn't have any use for a PDA? Still you'd think if anything he would own one to listen to music or something. I don't know. Its one of those scratch your head and wonder kinda things. At least he isn't using a Palm 8O

ombu
02-21-2003, 10:31 PM

I agree, I'm in the spirits&wine business, so I drink all day, so I'm always drunk! :D

Regards

bbarker
02-21-2003, 10:41 PM
Maybe he really doesn't have any use for a PDA? Still you'd think if anything he would own one to listen to music or something. I don't know. Its one of those scratch your head and wonder kinda things. At least he isn't using a Palm 8O
I can see him not using it for communications, since his administrative assistant does that for him. But there are many other PDA uses I think he would find worthwhile. I use mine for accessing the Internet and email via 802.11b when I'm home and through my cell phone when I'm out and about. I use it to read articles I don't have time to read when I'm at my desk. There are so many other things to do with a Pocket PC than just email and appointments.

Janak Parekh
02-21-2003, 10:43 PM
I refused to sit with them the rest of the week. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmmmm.....Are you sure it wasn't the other way around, Ed? :D
Yes, especially when Ed was choo-choo'ing all over the place... :lol:

--janak

yawanag
02-21-2003, 11:09 PM
There's an old saying that says "It takes one to know one." Well, I guess we could paraphrase and say, "You have to use one to know one!" I'm with those who say if he did we might be able to get some of the kinks of the apps. we're using. Also, explains Windows XP being what it is - ugh!

dugn
02-21-2003, 11:11 PM
I happen to know a member of the internal support the team of technicians who provide support for all MS VPs - including BillG. To be honest, last I knew BillG had a similar compliment of devices that you would find in most people's offices (a desktop, a laptop - and as many MS VPs - Tablet PCs long before they came out). But they also get cool stuff like plasma screens, prototypes of new devices, peripherals, etc.

Like an earlier post pointed out: how can these guys carry everything MS develops at once? They'd have to use WinXP Media Edition to watch TV, a Pocket PC, a tablet PC and desktop running WinXP, the new TV-based photo viewer, a web station, etc., etc., etc.

From what I know, these guys are real user + prototype/bleeding edge technology user hybrids - and each uses the tools (laptop/Pocket PC/Smartphone) that works best for them.

rpommier
02-21-2003, 11:17 PM
We were discussing this interview at work. I knew that I couldn't be the only one who was bothered by this. I bet if Bill G. used a PocketPC it would be much further along than it is.

There's no way the Pocket "Office" applications should be as week as they are. Why can't I choose a font in Pocket Outlook? Why is folder syncronization so whacky? Why doesn't word have better formatting options?

Why doesn't the PocketPC go landscape natively? How about the limitations of Pocket IE? Why can't the thing wrap websites like NetFront? Those should be a part of the OS, not left up to developers.

Roderick

Jonathan1
02-21-2003, 11:28 PM
I bet if Bill G. used a PocketPC it would be much further along than it is.

Roderick
:werenotworthy: Amen and pass the SD cards :werenotworthy:

Bill Gunn
02-21-2003, 11:54 PM
Bill....yes and no. Thinking on Eds comment. Would it be possible for Gates to use ALL of MS's products? X-Box, Tablet PC, Pocket PC, etc. Highly doubtful. No one wants to be turned into a walking bill(Pun intended) board. Maybe he really doesn't have any use for a PDA? Still you'd think if anything he would own one to listen to music or something. I don't know. Its one of those scratch your head and wonder kinda things. At least he isn't using a Palm 8O

Let me explain. I work for a technology company. Among other things, we write PocketPC apps. We would not be happy if one of our senior vp's went into a meeting with customers or the press and started taking notes on a steno pad even though that might work better for him than a using a PocketPC. How would that look? "Well Mr. Customer, there are many reasons why you should replace your paper system with our automated process. See, I've got them all written down right here on this notepad."

Our president has a personal assistant who actually enters his appointments in Outlook and answers many of his e mails, and they all appear magically on his Ipaq 1910 which he pops out of the cradle and into his pocket whenever he leaves the office.

Bill Gunn
02-22-2003, 12:02 AM

While I'm on a rant; heck yes, Bill Gates should have a X-Box in his den and a couple Tablet PC's at home and at work and a half dozen Pocket PC's and all of it wirelessly connected. Most of us would if we had his budget. I'm on my 4th PPC already, have 2 laptops and wish I could budget a Tablet PC. :D :D :D

vincentsiaw
02-22-2003, 12:07 AM
if i got 10 personal assitant, with 3 always stanby, i will not use pda too!

rfischer
02-22-2003, 12:08 AM
I guess if I had his $$$, my T-Mobile (which would already be running .NET, hehe heh) would be for calls and games only, and I'd have someone else managing my schedule. :-D

bdegroodt
02-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Think he uses a BlackBerry? Maybe he doesn't like having to query his email account manually... :evil:

rfischer
02-22-2003, 12:17 AM
Think he uses a BlackBerry? Maybe he doesn't like having to query his email account manually... :evil:

Ha Ha! Good one! :-D

mmace
02-22-2003, 02:43 AM
Are Pocket PCs banned from Palm?

I can't speak for Palm's hardware company, but Pocket PC is not banned from PalmSource. In fact, we've seeded a few PPC units around the company (Sharp units too) to see what people think.

Mike
CCO, PalmSource

marlof
02-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Are Pocket PCs banned from Palm?I can't speak for Palm's hardware company, but Pocket PC is not banned from PalmSource. In fact, we've seeded a few PPC units around the company (Sharp units too) to see what people think.

And that was what caused you to see the options beyond Grafitti? ;) (O man, this was so tempting, I couldn't resist.)

Kidding aside, I think it's a great thing to keep an open mind about both your own product and the competition. In my house you can find several Pocket PCs, two Handheld PCs, one Palm m505, one Psion Revo, several Windows PCs and one Apple iBook. I took the latter to the Microsoft MVP summit. Although people couldn't resist making jokes about it, most of them admitted it did look like a cool machine. (And it does. And the OS rocks. Just like WinXP rocks.)

On BillG: it is not like he stated that he didn't like the Pocket PC platform, and used a PalmSource based device himself. One cannot expect someone heading this large a company to use everything that company produces. The fact that he doesn't use it personally doesn't mean that he doesn't endorse the product. I think it would be different if the Mobile Devices team members within MS wouldn't use their own Mobile Devices. But they do.