View Full Version : Handheld PC2000?

KuroNeko
02-21-2003, 01:58 PM
I'm curious about this OS.

When I go to download.com, I can select to sort software by OS, and it offers choices of Windows CE1.x, CE2.x and PocketPC.

AFAIK, HPC2000 is Windows CE3.x based.

So how do I know if a program will run on this OS?

Any websites that go into this issue, i.e. explain the differences between these OS?

Neko

felixdd
02-22-2003, 12:08 AM
All 2.11 software will run on Ce 3.0 if it was written for your processor.

If you are using the Jornada -- then you can only use arm software written for HPC's -- which isn't many.

The alternative is to hack yoru dll's to make it appear a PPC and run files that way. You can find more information about this at www.simplyhpc.com.

If you are using an Intermec or an NEC then you have a MIPS processor -- then whatever you download that is for MIPS and for HPC's shoulddefinitely work (in theory -- since 3.0 is more or less backwards compatible and the processor is identical). However, some programs meant for CE 2.0 require two other dll files: mfcce20.dll and olece20.dll. ICQ, for example, requires these files to run on my HPC pro running CE 2.11. If you need those files please PM me. And if you do have an NEC or an Intermec can you please PM me? I'd love to know more MIPS HPC users.

Also -- download.com is quite weak in terms of programs. You can find a much better collection at www.pocketpccity.com (which also keeps programs down to the PsPC era). Tucows has an even better selection -- but unfortunately their servers are quite temperamental and I often have trouble connecting to them (like now for instance).

felixdd
02-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Sorry for the double post

as for the difference -- go here:
http://www.cewindows.net/wce/30/HPC2000info.htm

Fishie
02-22-2003, 01:04 AM
Felix, Intermec here.
awesome machine.

KuroNeko
02-22-2003, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the info! I don't own a HPC2000 machine, but a friend is interested in the Siemens SL4 webpad, which runs Handheld OS 2000.

I wanted to see if there's still any sw for it. Thanks very much for the PocketPCCity link!

Neko