View Full Version : sprint and samsung

juangril
02-21-2003, 07:26 AM
just out of curiosity: why do you guys think the samsung sph-700 has not been launched yet? Are there manufacturing issues or is Sprint delaying the launch so to sell the latest batch of expensive phones they have now?

another thing that surprises me is the fact that even though the sph-700 has been demoed at CES, samsung electronics has opted for not showing it on their website; not even on the special page for the products they showed at CES.

it strikes me that samsung is only showing their sph-500 (palm based smartphone) on that page. And then this week they announce their investment in Symbian. Of course many of you would tell me "but the gsm version of the sph-700 has been announced too" but then again this announcement could have been scheduled many months ago (when the product was conceived).

conspiracy theorists, your turn ;)

Janak Parekh
02-21-2003, 05:04 PM
I think the matter's really simple: cell providers tend to be very slow to adopt new phones. Witness how long the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition took to come to market...

--janak

juangril
02-21-2003, 05:10 PM
You might be right. However, the Tmobile PPCPE was approved by the FCC 2 months before the SPH-i700, and how long ago the Tmobile has been launched?

Janak Parekh
02-21-2003, 05:20 PM
It's not so simple, unfortunately. The CDMA Pocket PC Phone Edition OS was only recently released; I believe it was in beta during the FCC approval.

Moreover, I've found the CDMA carriers in the US to be slower adopters as opposed to GSM carriers.

--janak