View Full Version : Why does ActiveSync keep changing my Proxy settings?

MikeKey
02-21-2003, 01:11 AM
I'm trying to set up my connections so they'll consistently work in the following scenarios:

ActiveSync, LAN + Internet using cradle at home
ActiveSync, LAN + Internet over bluetooth (built-in) at home
ActiveSync + Internet using cradle at work
Internet over bluetooth (built-in) using T68i (GPRS)

I've had all of these connections working - I just can't get them working every time without fiddling with connection settings. :x

My biggest gripe is that when I put my PPC in it's cradle at work, ActiveSync seems to be setting my work proxy server up in 'Work Settings'.
This is fine, but it's setting the proxy server on my bluetooth GPRS connection too, meaning I have to go and turn off the proxy for this connection each time I leave work :( It doesn't remove the proxy when I dock at home either, even though I'm not using a proxy.

Any ideas how my connections should be set up, or what I'm missing? I've been through so many forum posts and web sites about connection manager and I'm still no nearer to figuring it out!

What's the difference between settings and connections? Why do connections sometimes appear in the settings dropdowns as well as connections lists? The setting for connecting to my T68i (bt serial) seems to use itself as a connection... :?: Why does ActiveSync change the dropdown values for work, home and network card itself?

I've tried to do my homework on this but now it's driving me mad :evil: Connection manager just doesn't make any sense to me... :cry:

Thanks,

Mike
-----------------------------
The only intuitive user interface is the nipple - everything else is learned.

Jorgen
02-22-2003, 08:30 AM
I don't think it makes sense to anyone - it really is a pain! Normally I would play with the settings of a program to learn more, but it is best to leave Activesync alone once you have something that works.

However, can't you make a new setting in Connections? I use Work Settings for cradle connections at home and internet for Wi-fi and LAN connections at home/public hotspots. If I were to use Activesync at work I would make a third (and fourth?) setting to avoid changing the "home" settings.

Jorgen

ctmagnus
02-22-2003, 11:21 PM
I'm trying to set up my connections so they'll consistently work in the following scenarios:

ActiveSync, LAN + Internet using cradle at home
ActiveSync, LAN + Internet over bluetooth (built-in) at home
ActiveSync + Internet using cradle at work
Internet over bluetooth (built-in) using T68i (GPRS)

I would set up four different profiles. Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Connections. Tap Modify under When needed, automatically connect to Work..., assign an appropriate name (General tab) and settings for each connection needed.