View Full Version : Sprint PCS Vision & Pocket PC(5455) Web, Web, Where's my Web?

rberry88
02-21-2003, 12:32 AM
I have a HP5455 Pocket PC and a Sanyo 5300 cell phone (non-BT) with Sprint PCS Vision plan and I want to surf the web on my Pocket PC via my cell phone in the car. 1) Is it possible and 2) What hardware/software do I need to accomplish this. I don't have a laptop which I'm assuming is the device I would use with the Sprint CF card that they sell, is there a way to do this or am I just dreaming??

rberry88 :?

mscdex
02-21-2003, 02:33 AM
If the phone has a serial connector, there is a chance you can hook it up to your iPaq.

Eitel
02-21-2003, 02:54 AM
None of the Sprint Vision phones have a serial connector except one of the LG phones (can't remember the model). The only way to use Vision with a PPC is by using this LG phone.

dreampages
02-21-2003, 05:20 AM
The LG-5350 is the LG model. It's the only one you can use as a modem with a Pocket PC.

Larry

rberry88
02-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Actually I found out through Sprint and HP today that I can purchase the PC card expansion sleeve for my 5455 and the Novatel Aircard from Sprint and since I already have Sprint's PCS Vision service on my account the two will play nice together.

I'm picking up the two items mentioned above tonight from Radio Shack so I'll soon know.

rberry88 8)

rzanology
02-22-2003, 07:12 AM
looks like you'll be looking for a better cell phone provider....as we all know...sprint suck!

Eitel
02-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Actually I found out through Sprint and HP today that I can purchase the PC card expansion sleeve for my 5455 and the Novatel Aircard from Sprint and since I already have Sprint's PCS Vision service on my account the two will play nice together.

I'm picking up the two items mentioned above tonight from Radio Shack so I'll soon know.

rberry88 8)

You can do this, but the diference is that with the phone, you only need to pay I think is $10 for unlimited Vision, with the PC Card, you need to select a more expensive plan for it.

PetiteFlower
02-26-2003, 08:02 PM
The LG-5350 is the LG model. It's the only one you can use as a modem with a Pocket PC.

Larry

I have this phone....where can I find a cable to connect it to my PDA though? I have an Axim...

Janak Parekh
02-26-2003, 08:13 PM
PetiteFlower,

Check SupplyNet (http://www.thesupplynet.com/searchResults.cfm?prodMadeBy=257&SubString=5350&mySearch=mfg) - that link is to all the LG cables. Unfortunately they don't have a direct cable for the Axim yet, but they have a serial cable which you could then connect to an Axim serial cable.

--janak

gfunkmagic
02-26-2003, 10:54 PM

Actaully you can also use the Treo 300 using an app called NotifyMail as a modem to connect to your PPC. :D Of course, this may be a little self defeating but just thought I'ld put it out there.

Also in regards to the LG 5350. Yes it's true that the LG5350 is the only Vision phone that can be connected to a PocketPC. All others have a USB-only interface, while the 5350 allows both USB and serial connections. If you have an iPAQ and are getting a 5350, I suggest you go with the Gomadic ComCube for connecting the two. The ComCube is the most flexible and least expensive of all the solutions I've seen, and it works great. You can also get the adapter cable to fit the Axim...

Once you're connected to the Vision phone, you can browse any site on your pda that you could if using any other method of connectivity. I think SPCS is blocking FTP and some chat ports. Sprint WANTS you to use only the handset for that stuff, and that's why they make it so tough to get connected (unless you spring for a data card and account, and then pay the outrageous $0.20/min. surcharge on voice from that account.

PetiteFlower
02-27-2003, 01:19 AM
gfunk--now that's what I need! $40 is reasonable too, I wouldn't want to pay $60 for something that couldn't even connect directly to my Axim! Plus check out this blurb from gomatic's site:

* Exchange any Phone to PDA cable for free when you change phones or PDAs

Nice perk :)

Thanks for the info!

Sheynk
02-27-2003, 02:32 AM

Larry

hehehe thats the one I have1

havent tried it yet though

gfunkmagic
02-27-2003, 03:59 AM
No prob PetiteFlower,

Also, here are the instructions of how to setup the LG 5350 as modem for pda/laptop/desktop. Go to the following page on wirelessgalaxy that gives instructions on how to get the dialer software to utilize the phone as a modem. You can select from various Win/Mac/PalOS/WinCe platforms. Choose the one that is appropiate...

http://www.wirelessgalaxy.com/ac/lg510/instructionsonlgusb.html

Sheynk
02-27-2003, 04:14 AM
sweet deal....thanks!

has anyone tried this before.....I dont find the internet on my phone to be all that fast...will my PDA be at least 28.8k worthy?

sub_tex
02-27-2003, 05:49 AM

Figures.

The ugliest phone i don't want is the one i would need.

:cry:

gfunkmagic
02-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Okay, just to follow-up here... I found a very useful thread on WirelessAdvisor, if anyone's interested, that give a step-by-step instructions on how use a LG5350 + iPaq using Sprint Vision. Enjoy....

http://wirelessadvisor.com/waforums/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=15936&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ipaq

P.S. For the life of me, I can't figure out why I'm helping you guys since I am a TREO 300 USER!! :roll:

P.S.2 Sub_Tex, what are you doing over here? You join the dark side as well?

PetiteFlower
02-27-2003, 05:50 PM
I think those instructions are for laptops...but I'm not 100% sure since the instructions are way vague and confusing.

Anyway think what you like, sub tex, I think my 5350 is cute and sexy. Almost as much as a 1910 :) Not quite, but almost!

nickl
03-06-2003, 04:46 PM
i just bought my comcube direct from gomadic.com

http://www.gomadic.com/phonetopda.html

ordered it at about 5pm last night, got it this morning around 10am. very happy with gomadic customer service and prompt order delivery.

still trying to figure it out, though. i've got the LG5350, sprint pcs vision, and an axim x5.

rberry88
03-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Hey nickl,

Did you get your gomqube cable and cell phone working yet?? I have been playing around with mine and it seems that it takes about 4-5 tries to get connected for good and then it surfs along at fast speeds. If you need more help with the setup for the phone or the PDA I can try to help you out. I have an HP5455, the Gomqube cable and the LG5350 with Sprint phone and haven't had a problem after I got it all set up. It seems it is about as fast as my WLAN connection that I use at home, maybe a second or two slower but still it is quite faster than 56k.

rberry88

nickl
03-14-2003, 02:32 AM
Haven't gotten it working yet, but then again haven't had too much time to try. I'm going to give it one more go tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. I have an Axim, LG5350 and Sprint.

nickl
03-14-2003, 05:14 PM
I've been fiddling with my Gomadic ComCube/Dell Axim X5/Sprint PCS Vision service all morning and can't get the damned thing to work. I've followed the instructions from Gomadic's web site Support page

> http://www.gomadic.com/support.html <

to a "T" and -- it could be Sprint's fault here -- the call gets dropped after exactly six seconds each and every time. Anybody having this problem? It's really frustrating...

PetiteFlower
03-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Why haven't you just called someone yet? Either Gomadic or Sprint should be able to help you!

nickl
03-14-2003, 09:59 PM
I plan on it. But have you ever been on hold with Sprint? You can watch your fingernails grow.

PetiteFlower
03-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Yes, I have, I know what you mean :) Still worth it though. Could always try calling gomadic first.

Underwater Mike
03-17-2003, 03:57 PM
AFAIK, this is normal. It's just the way the Vision connection works from your phone. Happens to me whether connecting from iPAQ, Axim or notebook. It also seems that sometimes DNS services crap out, too, and you need to totally end the connection and re-dial to reestablish.

FYI, unless you're on a data plan, do not expect any support from Sprint on this even if you have a Sprint-branded cable to connect to a PC. Their shtick is that the unlimited Vision is for using on the handset only. Any other usage requires a data plan.

I've been fiddling with my Gomadic ComCube/Dell Axim X5/Sprint PCS Vision service all morning and can't get the damned thing to work. I've followed the instructions from Gomadic's web site Support page

> http://www.gomadic.com/support.html <

to a "T" and -- it could be Sprint's fault here -- the call gets dropped after exactly six seconds each and every time. Anybody having this problem? It's really frustrating...

PetiteFlower
03-17-2003, 07:18 PM
That's not how I understand it. It is perfectly acceptable to use your handset to connect to a laptop or PDA, according to both the web site and the people I've talked to. They no longer sell their own brand of cable to connect their phones to a laptop or desktop, but at least as of a few months ago, they were still obligated to support those who had one since they are using the service legitimately.

Underwater Mike
03-17-2003, 08:02 PM
Sorry, but that's not the terms of the unlimited Vision agreement. The $10-per-month add-on specifically excludes using the handset as a modem for any other type of device. The only cirucmstance under which that kind of usage is permitted is data plan. Doesn't matter whether you purchased a cable from Sprint before it was yanked (as I did) or not.

I don't know where you're looking on the Sprint site, but check out the T&C for the unlimited Vision plans:

Unlimited PCS Vision. Sprint may deny or terminate service without notice where use is in connection with server devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for private lines or frame relay connections. Unlimited PCS Vision offer for PCS Free & Clear Plans with Vision is: (a) only available with a Vision capable PCS Phone or PCS smart phone device; and (b) not available with Connection Cards, Aircards, or any other device used in connection with a computer or PDA - including phones, smart phones or other devices used with connection kits or similar phone-to-computer/PDA accessories. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for misuse.

Sprint is not policing such usage en masse right now, but some users are being cut off. I wouldn't fret about it, but be aware that it can happen.

That's not how I understand it. It is perfectly acceptable to use your handset to connect to a laptop or PDA, according to both the web site and the people I've talked to. They no longer sell their own brand of cable to connect their phones to a laptop or desktop, but at least as of a few months ago, they were still obligated to support those who had one since they are using the service legitimately.

rberry88
03-18-2003, 08:32 PM
nickl,

Is the connection dropping all together or are the little up/down arrows still on your phone screen? If arrows are not there then leave it for a couple minutes (5-6 tries) and it will connect by itself after retrying. If the arrows are there then you are connected even if the phone doesn't show it (that's what the arrows are for), just try to go to a web page on your PDA and see if it works.

I had good success in e-mailing them, got a response in a couple hours, when I was having trouble with the initial setup and since then it has been great.

We went to northern Wisconsin last weekend (in-laws) and was able to surf the net and check e-mail this way.

rberry88 :mrgreen:

PhatCohiba
03-19-2003, 04:21 AM
Sorry, but that's not the terms of the unlimited Vision agreement. The $10-per-month add-on specifically excludes using the handset as a modem for any other type of device. The only cirucmstance under which that kind of usage is permitted is data plan. Doesn't matter whether you purchased a cable from Sprint before it was yanked (as I did) or not.

I don't know where you're looking on the Sprint site, but check out the T&C for the unlimited Vision plans:

Unlimited PCS Vision. Sprint may deny or terminate service without notice where use is in connection with server devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for private lines or frame relay connections. Unlimited PCS Vision offer for PCS Free & Clear Plans with Vision is: (a) only available with a Vision capable PCS Phone or PCS smart phone device; and (b) not available with Connection Cards, Aircards, or any other device used in connection with a computer or PDA - including phones, smart phones or other devices used with connection kits or similar phone-to-computer/PDA accessories. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for misuse.

Sprint is not policing such usage en masse right now, but some users are being cut off. I wouldn't fret about it, but be aware that it can happen.

I've used mine lightly with my laptop and haven't had any problems. I expect this legal verbage is for users that stay connected 8 hours / day every day.

-jb

PetiteFlower
03-20-2003, 07:07 AM
Well Nickl, I got my cable today and it seems to be working fine...I did have to play around to get it to dial the right number--it kept wanting to at 1 011 to the #777--but once I figured that out it worked great :) So I can't really say what your problem is. I used the Vision directions with the #777 and blank username and password, not the Sprint PCS directions which were different.

arebelspy
03-25-2003, 06:52 AM
i have had this deal for months. it will drop after a few seconds. and in the TOS you agree not to use your unlimited vision w/ a pda or laptop, only w/ a phone (to do the former 2 things you need a data plan).

i use a command prompt and the command "ping -l 1 -t yahoo.com," then minimize the command prompt but leave it open on my ipaq and laptop to keep my connection (sees 1 byte of data being transferred every second, keeps the connection open w/o slowing it down.

-arebelspy

PetiteFlower
03-25-2003, 03:55 PM
It seems to drop after a few seconds but it doesn't really, it just waits until data is actually needed and then it reconnects. It is a little weird but it works.

suderfield
04-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Hi Guys,

What a great thread.

I am looking for recommendations:

Sprint Vision:
What phone should I buy?

Connecting Vision phone to Axim:
What cable is necessary?
Is software needed or already on PPC2002?
How well does it work? (Primarily browsing web & e-mail).

Connecting Vision phone to Laptop:
What cable is necessary?
Is software needed on Laptop? (Win98 or Win2k)?
How well does it work? (Primarily browsing web & e-mail).
Anyone have any experience with Telnet/SSH programs using
this type of connections?

Thanks, in advance for passing on your thoughts/expereinces!

Dan

Underwater Mike
04-12-2003, 07:04 PM
If you want to connect a Vision phone to your Axim, the LG5350 is the only phone that will do so. You also can connect the 5350 to any computer via USB.

If you decide that you don't care about PPC connectivity 8O then I recommend the Sanyo 4900 as the best-performing Vision phone available. If I could've connected that phone to my PPC, I would've kept it instead of trading for the LG.

suderfield
04-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks for your note.

How well do you like that LG phone? It looks
like it has several features. Are there any
downfalls to the phone?

I am mainly wanting connectivity to my
laptop so the PPC connection is just a perk,
but I'll be it comes in handy.

Dan

Underwater Mike
04-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Well, the reception on the Sanyo BLOWS AWAY the LG. Absolutely no comparison. You can also get third-party contact sync software for the Sanyo, but not for the LG because Sprint is six months late in releasing a firmware update for the LG phone that would enable sync with the FutureDial software. (That from LG tech.) The phone has average battery life, passable reception and a HULKING desktop charger.

Sounds bad? It's really not, although I'd go for another phone if I could. The SOLE reason that I have the LG is the PPC connectivity. That was a show-stopper for me. Sure, the LG has nifty 40-chord ringers and such, but I'd prefer better phone performance over the superfluous features if I could still connect to my Axim.

I'm praying that the Sony Ericsson T608 (w/Bluetooth) actually makes it to market. I'll trade for that phone in a heartbeat.

PetiteFlower
04-13-2003, 05:43 PM
You think the charger for the LG is hulking? Interesting. My last phone was a TP 1100 which had practically the same charger so I don't really have much basis for comparison. But I sometimes carry the charger in my purse between home and work....doesn't seem that big to me.

Anyway I think the reception is great personally, I've never had a problem with it. The battery life is ok, not awesome, but not horrible either. Wireless web seems to drain it pretty fast though.

Underwater Mike
04-13-2003, 07:55 PM
I'd had a few Samsungs with very small, travel-type chargers (e.g., like the LG power adapter, without the desktop part). Guess it's all relative...

You think the charger for the LG is hulking? Interesting. My last phone was a TP 1100 which had practically the same charger so I don't really have much basis for comparison. But I sometimes carry the charger in my purse between home and work....doesn't seem that big to me.

Anyway I think the reception is great personally, I've never had a problem with it. The battery life is ok, not awesome, but not horrible either. Wireless web seems to drain it pretty fast though.

cyj
04-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Concerning the legality of using vision unlimited with a ppc: A clerk at a Sprint store was aware of the issues but very tight lipped. No matter how hard I tried to press him on the issue, he wouldn't commit - which is easy to understand.

What I thought he was hinting at is that if you abuse the service, sprint may start charging you for mb of data. What does he mean by abuse? He wouldn't say. He also couldn't give me any idea as to when Sprint would settle the issue.

I think I would probably fall under the category of an abuser. For this reason I'm hesitant about signing up for a year and then getting wacked after a month or two.

Obviously Sprint is weighing the matter. If they ever consider a BT phone, the issue is unavoidable.