View Full Version : Dell Screen question

KuroNeko
02-20-2003, 09:30 PM
How does the Dell look without backlight? Does it reflect enough light to comfortably read an e-book like this?

Also, when using it outside in the sun - does the Dell have a problem with that (too shiny a screen, reflections disturbing picture)?

Neko

Rirath
02-20-2003, 10:56 PM
How does the Dell look without backlight? Does it reflect enough light to comfortably read an e-book like this?

Why would you want to? You probably could... but why? The Dell has an outstanding battery life, you could run the backlight at full brightness and read an entire ebook or two. If it's too bright for your eyes, just turn the backlight down a few notches.

Also, when using it outside in the sun - does the Dell have a problem with that (too shiny a screen, reflections disturbing picture)?

Disturbing picture... you mean the user, right? :wink: Well, coming from an old Jornada 525 I was AMAZED to see the Axim outside. The Jornada would literally turn to a black screen where you couldn't make out a thing. The Axim, to my eyes, is clear as day both inside and out. (Yes, both day and night, and in direct sunlight and shade both.)

PapaSmurfDan
02-20-2003, 11:11 PM

Why would you want to? You probably could... but why? The Dell has an outstanding battery life, you could run the backlight at full brightness and read an entire ebook or two. If it's too bright for your eyes, just turn the backlight down a few notches.

At some level, the ambient light around you over powers the blacklights. At that point, your just wasting battery power by cranking up your backlight. FYI at full brightness you do drain the batteries a lot faster than at the middle setting. Backlight brightness on the Axim is not linear to battery life in my experence. In full sunlight, the Axim Screen is very readable without the backlight on. However, I would recommend getting a good screen protector like the WriteSheilds to reduce the glare.

-Dan

cavuu
02-21-2003, 12:58 AM
[quote="KuroNeko"]How does the Dell look without backlight? Does it reflect enough light to comfortably read an e-book like this?

No, not inside in normal light. You will need some backlighting

It will work just fine in direct sunlight without the backlight. But like any piece of glass you will get reflections so you may have to adjust the angle for good viewing.

I have a Garmin gps with an anti glare screen, you still get glare with certain sun angles. I don't think it is possible to eliminate it entirely and still have a clear readable screen.