View Full Version : Irritating Active STINK!

MultiMatt
02-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Grrrrr! I love my Pocket PC, but Active Stink is the absolute worst!
Here's a recent scenario:
I play hockey on Sunday nights, and we had a game cancelled due to an ice storm. The league decided to simply bump everything back a week. No problem, I thought! I'll simply move each appointment to the next week, and viola!
I made the moves via my iPAQ, while lying in bed.
This morning, I cradle my device, and Active STINK suddenly comes up with the famous "This device has never syncronized with this computer before. Do you wish to 1. Combine the Appointments, etc...."

What?!!!!!!!!

I tried a soft-reset and rebooting my PC, but still got the same thing.
Ended up opting for the combine option, and had to go clean up a bunch of duplications.

What a bunch of crap. That scenario is very typical of everyday life, and one, I might add, that I brag to people is an advantage of having a schedule in digital format! "Let's see you do that easily with your paper planner!" I would say.
If they saw what happened this morning, they would be laughing their butts off...

Matt

vincentsiaw
02-20-2003, 04:59 PM
i wonder if we got any other means to sync, beside using ms activesync, i guess with all this imperfection, some developer out there care to make something better....

MultiMatt
02-25-2003, 12:13 AM
Okay - totally different device (my new 5455) and totally different screwed up situation:

I've had my 5455 for several days, and everything was fine. Suddenly, on a routine sync this afternoon, I end up with 6 unresolved items that I had not even edited or changed in any way!!!.

The error reads:
"Synchronization cannot be completed because a file cannot be syncronized with your mobile device. Close all programs on your mobile device and this computer and sycnronize again."

To top it off, I temporarily removed every file of mine from the My Documents folder, soft-reset and tried again.
It still says I have 4 unresolved items!!!!

This has got to be the single most irritating piece of software I have ever encountered! And to think - tomorrow night, we are discussing ActiveSync at our Club Pocket PC meeting! Aye, Carumba!

8O

Matt

MultiMatt
02-25-2003, 03:27 PM
I have removed all of the files that were in the My Documents folder, then I tried placing just one file in the folder, and even still, it does not work!
Active Sync is hung up on saying that 5 files are unresolved, regardless of what combination of things I try.

I still have my 3970, so I cradled it as a test, and everything synchronized just fine, including the files.
Went back to my 5455, and BAM - 5 files unresolved, with that generic error message (described above).
It seems to me that a file associated with this partnership is corrupted, but I have NO idea where to look.
Suggestions?

Matt

MultiMatt
02-25-2003, 03:48 PM
Well, I think I fixed it:
I deleted the partnership for the 5455, did a soft-reset, restarted Active Stink, and set up a new partnership.
Dropped all of my files back into My Docs, and viola! It appears to be resolved.

I think that if a book were written about all of the separate, unique issues that people have had with this application, it would be volumous! It would be a larger book than Moby Dick, or War and Peace!

Matt

rave
03-03-2003, 08:37 AM
In my case, it goes like this: In the beginning of the day, I insert the iPAQ into the cradle, and Activesync attempts to connect. Activesync will hang, upon which I disconnect the iPAQ. I then restart AS using the ActiveSync Toggle application. After that, I reconnect the iPAQ and everything would work fine for the rest of the day. :lol:

cyko95
03-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Have you all tried Intellisync? I don't know if it's any better, but there's a demo over at Handango.com (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=2B3XEABCAFA44E5DBE54E4EBA19FB252&productId=8241&optionId=1_2_2&productType=2&catalog=30&txtSearch=Intellisync&sectionId=0&platformId=2)

It's main focus is the fact that it sync's more than just MS products.