View Full Version : LOOX and 7650 GPRS using bluetooth

fackie
02-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have any instructions on how to allow the LOOX to use a GPRS connection on a 7650 via bluetooth?

I can't find this information or 7650 modem drivers anywhere!

Thanks,

fck

TopDog
02-20-2003, 12:23 PM
You have to make a bond between LOOX and your mobile, just turn on the bluetooth on your mobile, make it "searchable" and start PocketPlugFree on your LOOX, there are some wizards there for connection...

fackie
02-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I got past the "bonding" part a long time ago. The problem is the difference between a DUN (dial up network) or data connection, and a GPRS connection.

In the UK I use GPRS through Vodafone Live, and my mobile is always connected to the Internet using it. I can browse, e-mail etc using the phone only.

The question is, how do I get the PDA to make use of the "always on" connection on the phone via bluetooth? Everytime I try to originate some data stream from the PDA, it seem to want to DIAL a connection, but there is no need for that as the phone is already active!

I have this feeling that I need some sort of "profile" on the PDA to make use of the GPRS on the phone.

Anything else I should now about?

Thanks,

fck

TopDog
02-20-2003, 01:11 PM
I've just used the LOOX with DialUp on demand... hated the PocketPlugFree software, it's impossible to understand, talked to som guys from Fujitsu Siemens and they understood less than me... it was just a unit I borrowed for testing, so I went back to my iPAQ after a week :-)

But I'm sure it's possible... have you checked their web-site? I've seen some step-by-step manuals there somwhere I remember, but don't have the link I'm afraid :oops:

fackie
02-20-2003, 01:37 PM
Yep you're almost right: there WERE some manuals available but they have put them offline...

I also believe it is possible but this bluetooth way of connecting to stuff and multiple profiles etc, what a pain! I guess that's the price of us being "pioneers" huh? ;-)

If you or anyone comes accross anything else, please don't forget to post it here.

Thanks,

fck

FredMurphy
02-20-2003, 01:57 PM
I can tell you how I connected to GPRS via my Ericsson T68 through Vodafone. Maybe this will help set up something similar on your 7650. I borrowed a 7650 for a while but only ever use GPRS for the internal mail client.

On the T68 you need to setup a Data account. The APN for Vodafone needs to be "internet", the UserID "[email protected]", password "user". Vodafone can SMS you the settings but be careful because they also use a seperate APN of "wap" for WAP services. There's a similar way to set up a data account on the 7650, but I can't remember how it's done.

To get my T68 to connect via GPRS I just ask the PocketPC to dial *99**1# (or something like that). Set up just like a standard dial-up. Once again, probably something similar for the 7650. You'll need to check you phone's manual for details - I never tried this.

Sorry this is so vague but I hope it helps a bit. The APN of "internet" was what stumped me for ages. Eventually found something hidden away on some Australian site. The Vodafone UK helpline knew nothing about it. :roll:

Fred

fackie
02-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Absolutely brilliant FredMurphy! I guess the secret may lie behind the *99**1# and I will certainly try that.

I will let the group know of my findings.

Many thanks,

fck

fackie
02-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Still no success... I can't get the PDA to dial *99*1# or anything similar, because of the Country and Area codes that you need to fill in. Even after making some changes, the thing still tries to put a +0 () before any other digit is sent to the phone!

You can see the phone trying to dial that number but needless to say the number doesn't exist.

Persistence will pay, so I'll be back!

fck

FredMurphy
02-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Glad I could be some help. The country/area code gave me some trouble too. As with most things Connection Mangler related, mess around with it for a while and it eventually get the idea in the end. Changing all the dialing patterns to "G" helps.

The *99**1# is probably specific to the T68 - I would expect something equivalent for the 7650 but doubt it's exactly this. I quick search on the web I found a few guides like this (http://www.cyber-blue.com/english/application/nokia7650.htm). Seems it could be *99# or *99***1#.

Same for the APN settings - specific to Vodafone so OK for you but maybe not for someone else.

fackie
02-26-2003, 09:30 PM
FM,

Once again thanks for your help.

The GG's and the number *99***1# seem to be closer to what I need. I was able to "invoke" a GPRS connection on the phone, however nothing further.

As before, I'll keep on trying and posting results.

On a second note, I was able to sync the PDA to my PC using bluetooth. I heard that's something of a problem for some people. Is it worth posting a topic in here?

Thanks,

fck

TopDog
02-27-2003, 09:42 AM
The *99**1# is probably specific to the T68 - I would expect something equivalent for the 7650 but doubt it's exactly this. I quick search on the web I found a few guides like this (http://www.cyber-blue.com/english/application/nokia7650.htm). Seems it could be *99# or *99***1#.
The *99 things you talk about is NOT specific to your mobile, but to your Phone Company... here in Norway we have to companies, one use the *99# with no APN strings and the other uses *99***1# with some APN strings... so check with your Phone Company!

And of course you have to activate GPRS on your subscription (at least I had to...)

JvanEkris
02-27-2003, 11:54 AM
It is specific to the phone: *99 is normally the dialing string for GPRS, with the # you let the phone decide, with **1 or *1 (depending opn your phone) you chose profile 1 of the GPRS settings. In this profile your APN is stored.

Jaap

andym
05-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Hi. I am encountering the same problem connecting my Toshiba E750 Pocket PC to my mobile phone (I am also with Vodafone Live). I can get the phone and Toshiba to recognise one another but when I try to connect to the Internet it continually tries to ring the number on my mobile. I followed the advice about the phone number *99, etc. but it tries to dial +0 in front of the number.

I have also set the APN, etc. up on the mobile phone so I can use the phone to collect e-mails via GPRS.

Can anybody help me?

TopDog
05-30-2003, 08:56 AM
I followed the advice about the phone number *99, etc. but it tries to dial +0 in front of the number.
Start/Settings/Connections/Connections/Dialing Locations/Dialing Patterns

Make sure you have only "g" in all three slots.

TopDog
05-30-2003, 08:58 AM
It is specific to the phone: *99 is normally the dialing string for GPRS, with the # you let the phone decide, with **1 or *1 (depending opn your phone) you chose profile 1 of the GPRS settings. In this profile your APN is stored.

Thanks, now I understand why *99**1# worked on my first mobile, but not my second, where *99# worked :-)