View Full Version : Ipaq 3970 or Dell Axim 400MHz if same price?

KuroNeko
02-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Due to a local special deal, I can get an Ipaq 3970 (same specs as Axim 400Mhz model, added Bluetooth) for approximately the same price.

Which to choose..?

Neko

Kaber
02-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Dude, are you cross posting?

spursdude
02-20-2003, 01:01 AM
Yeah, it's a cross-post.... why not just post to the Just Chattin forum? Of course, only do that if these posts get deleted, b/c I don't wanna see a third one.

But anyways, if you can get either one for the same price, I would go with the Axim and Bluetooth. If you want to expand your iPaq with something other than SD, you'll have to get a sleeve, which I personally dislike a lot - it takes away from the sleek / slick design, in my opinion.

The iPaq has a better screen and more included software, including a TV remote control.

But I would go with the Dell...

SteelForceX
02-20-2003, 01:04 AM
"Dude, you're getting a Dell!"

WyattEarp
02-20-2003, 01:18 AM
Same price... Now that's a hard one. It's depends on what you need and what you want. I may be sligtly tained but I like the iPAQ for:
1. bigger screen 3.8" vs 3.5 (small number but a very noticeable difference)
2. better looking package (IMHO, not exactly that same sqaure box style)
3. more software on the Comapnion CD (I could be wrong so check Pocket PC Mag
online http://www.pocketpcmag.com/reviews.asp great break down of supplied software)
I like the Axim for:
1. built-in CF slot
2. Removable Battery and optional high capacity

If you really need the CF go for the Dell otherwise I'd say go for the iPAQ.
Just glad I don't have to make that decision... :D

jpjehu
02-20-2003, 02:31 AM
I once thought about getting a Dell... Then I read some user reviews. There have been a lot posted at various sites, but all of them turned up split 50/50 (for roughly 500 consumer reviews). That might not be far from the norm, but the bad ones were pretty bad (and that's about 250 bad posts). They shared that the customer service was horrible over and over again to the point where I didn't want to consider taking a chance - EVEN with a huge price gap. Also, some previous iPAQ users wrote posts declaring two main extreme dislikes. One, the screen is supposedly considerably less bright and beautiful when compared to the iPAQ (and then it's also smaller at 3.5" vs ipaq's 3.8"). Second, that the construction felt cheap (esp the jog dial) and 'plastic-ee feeling'. If it's your first time buying a PDA these things might be virtually unnoticable for you, but if not (or if you appreciate quality) then you should consider the iPAQ. My opinion is that you should definitely get the iPAQ if the price is the same - NO COMPARISON.

KuroNeko
02-20-2003, 02:33 AM
My apologies for the crosspost. I didn't think this was a just Chat topic, but feared when I posted this in either Dell or Ipaq forums I would get slightly biased responses :)

Thanks for all your replies. Please find the further followups in the Dell forum (no, that doesn't mean I chose the Dell :)

Neko

Kaber
02-20-2003, 05:45 AM
I see your point about the bias. Good thinking about the cross post actually. My bad.

vincentsiaw
02-20-2003, 06:06 AM
obviously, Dell offering a compactflash expantion system, but Dell didn't support SDIO, if what youwant is bluetooth conecivity, you got it already with the 3970. and furthermore to me 3970 is just look nicer than the dell.

nosmohtac
02-20-2003, 06:26 AM
I replied to another post like this one recently where someone was pondering this very question. I too would go for the iPAQ without question. I had an order in for a Dell X5 400 Mhz and cancelled before it shipped because of reviews and posts that I read on this site. I am not trying to take anything away from Dell. I could not be happier for their bringing down the price of a pocket pc and expanding the number of users who aren't gadget geeks like myself and many others who spend so many hours on this website. With that said, the iPAQ feels like it is better built and does come with more software included. Yes, it only has an SD slot with the naked unit, but if you were going for the axim and a bluetooth card your left with only the SD slot anyway.

I have talked several coworkers in to going pocketpc instead of palm and they all bought the Dell's before Christmas. I think they are excellent for the price and kick butt over any thing running palm os, but I like using my pocket pc for a remote and the iPAQ has Nevo software included on it and even though you can buy third party software for the Dell, it has a very weak IrDA port (5 feet) that makes it pretty useless as a remote.

I had a hard time accepting the whole expansion sleeve thing at first. I think mainly becuase I see it as a marketing ploy to sell all these expensive expansion sleeves. But I bought a MemPlug sleeve from Portable Innovation Tech., that has 2 CF slots and is slimmer than a Compaq CF sleeve for under 50 bucks. So, I gave my money to a different company for coming up with something so innovative.

Steven Cedrone
02-20-2003, 07:55 AM
Good thinking about the cross post actually.

NOT good thinking, actually...

Thread locked, continue the discussion here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8983&start=10)...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator