View Full Version : GPS Navigation Shootout Intro Discussion Thread

JMountford
02-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Gary this seams like a great start to a fairly thorough review. I like the writing style a lot. It seams that this will prove to be failry informative and on a common user stand point. Nice job.

jimH
02-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Being a newbie to GPS, I look forward to your articles. So far, a very concise introduction.

I recently purchased a Holux GM-270 CF GPS and Mapopolis Navigator and have been using the combination for a week. In my opinion, this combination is head and shoulders over my previous Pocket Copilot 3.0 system. Clearly, the Holux is sensitive and the TTFF is fast. I am even able to fix a location from inside my brick home without an external antenna. Mapopolis is extremely accurate, fast, and provides more information than Pocket Copilot 3.0.

Thanks.

Jim

RogerC
02-17-2003, 05:28 PM
The Navman bundle is $300. The Garmin is $900 - $1000 and then you have to buy proprietary memory for expansion (At least that's what I could garner from the website, and physical inspection of the unit).

So let's hold the rest of our comments for the actual reviews.

The Garmin comes with 128mb of memory, which loads major chunks of the countrry. Comes with a USB reader, and mapping. All can be bought for $750 if you shop.

The Navman costs $300, plus CF memory, and the maps are proprietary and nowhere near the level of the Garmin Maptech units. Acquire is slow, and routing has nowhere near the capability. Mapopolis adds another $100 to the mix to get decent routing software. All have one issue or another.

I'm sorry, you can wait for the review, but I see nothing more than a rehash of what lots of other sites have already done. Joe Mehaffey's site and GPSPassion.com, among others come to mind.

The reality is that the Garmin units are purpose built units. the iPaq GPS stuff is no more than a tradeoff. I have Pocket CoPilot, Mapopolis, Pharos Ostia, all with a 3955. I also own a Garmin Vista and Streetpilot III. No piece of PPC GPS equipment can hold a candle to the Garmin's for what they do.

Just stating educated facts. I've spent the money already, and know what works.

Roger

caderoux
02-17-2003, 07:14 PM
Someone, please cover geocaching with the iPaq. I just got a CoPilot sleeve system, but I can't figure out how to use it properly for geocaching. I really want to start doing that. Is there better third-party software for geocaching? I think the iPaq should be the best for geocaching because you have your PDA for storing other info anyway. I've also heard people who recommend standalone units. I went caching with my brother once and he had a handheld unit, but had to have separate bits of paper for notes etc. I haven't been able to find much practical about using the iPaq for geocaching on the Internet (software, hardware, tips and tricks).

RogerC
02-17-2003, 07:44 PM
caderoux,
take a look at OziExplorer. Your best bet if you want to geocache with a PPC.

Roger

ClieTT
02-17-2003, 09:19 PM
I recently purchased a Holux GM-270 CF GPS and Mapopolis Navigator and have been using the combination for a week. In my opinion, this combination is head and shoulders over my previous Pocket Copilot 3.0 system. Clearly, the Holux is sensitive and the TTFF is fast. I am even able to fix a location from inside my brick home without an external antenna. Mapopolis is extremely accurate, fast, and provides more information than Pocket Copilot 3.0.

I also have Holux GM-270 CF GPS and Mapopolis platinum edition. The whole combination is less than $200. IMHO, this is the most useful hardware / software combination I have ever bought for my PPC. Highly recommended.

I am also very interested in geocaching. I am looking forward to Fortuna BT GPSmart. It offers standalone unit functionality while integrates to PPC without wire. I am still waiting for a review before I place my pre-order.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=78712
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/semsons.gif

jimH
02-17-2003, 09:49 PM
I was wondering whether someone has experience with VITO Navigator. It seems to be a basic GPS program for hiking and camping (possibly geocaching).

Thanks,
Jim

Deslock
02-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Why wasn't Radioshack's Digitraveler reviewed? It's cheap, comes with adapters for many PDAs, comes with Delorme's Xmap, and is compatible with Topo USA 4.0. I don't have it, but I'm thinking about getting it. I've heard mixed reviews on X-Map, but after using Pocket Streets for a couple months, anything would be an improvement...

Sven Johannsen
02-18-2003, 12:36 AM
Why wasn't Radioshack's Digitraveler reviewed?...

Because it is a series? So far only the basics of GPS have been touched on. Hardware, software and conclusions are yet to come.

Oregon Trail
02-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to part 2. I travel extensively throughout Oregon and have considered buying GPS. What stopped me was a lack of knowledge of the various systems. :)

Oregon Trail
02-18-2003, 03:12 AM
Can anyone tell me what "geocaching" is? It sounds like a tech version of Capture The Flag or perhaps what ham operators call Fox Hunting.

seatec
02-18-2003, 04:10 AM
Basically your right, I have been doing it for a few years and my cubscout pack loves to do it to. you can find out more at Geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com/) , there are caches worldwide, of different difficulties and is great fun for an afternoon hike.

SassKwatch
02-18-2003, 07:20 AM
Can anyone tell me what "geocaching" is? It sounds like a tech version of Capture The Flag or perhaps what ham operators call Fox Hunting.
I kinda think of it as an Easter Egg hunt for adults. :)

Kaber
02-18-2003, 09:36 AM
I've mentioned this in some other GPS threads here, and I just want to say that for the cost SkyEye (http://www.etree.com/tech/notsofreestuff/skyeye/) is one of the best softs for geocaching. You can make maps for it right off the net from USGS topo or aerial maps. No cutting and pasting and resizing or anything. Even easier than making maps for TeleType GPS. They have some great examples of day hikes on the Lost Outdoors (http://www.lostoutdoors.com) site which is where you can make the maps also. There is a standalone app to make the maps also (you still need a net connection to get the info from USGS).

However, you have to use Garmin protocol with it. So you might want to consider that.

I have used Mapopolis, Vito Navigator, and Ostia (not the new version of Ostia but 3.3). I like Ostia the best personally. I get a lot of use out of it and when I plug in my cassette adapter to the iPAQ the voice routing comes through even while listening to mp3s. I used to use a Pharos iGPS 180, but having to plug it into a 12v cigarette socket just to use it realy turned me off.

I bought a eTrex Venture and I couldn't be happier. I even made a holster that will hold the iPAQ and gps together connected so I can WarWalk. heh )(

msprague
02-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Someone, please cover geocaching with the iPaq.
I have found Maptech Pocket Navigator (http://www.maptech.com/products/pocketnavigator/) to work great for geocaching. However it is not a cheap option because they sell the topo maps separate from the software itself. You'd be looking at $200 for software and topo maps for one state.
Vito Navigator (http://www.vito-tech.com/products/?prod_id=9) will do the job, without any mapping functionality. You can think of it as Etrex software for your iPaq. It is a good buy at $16, but you can download the trial version to check it out.
You will also want to consider some protection for your iPaq. Check out this Aquapac review (http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=13).

SassKwatch
02-18-2003, 04:15 PM
I bought a eTrex Venture and I couldn't be happier. I even made a holster that will hold the iPAQ and gps together connected

Does the Venture not have only a serial connection? Just trying to figure out how you connected it to an iPAQ.(?)

Kaber
02-18-2003, 09:12 PM
Its serial only, but I made a custom 6 inch cable so I don't have to wrestle the octopus.

Maybe I should post a pic.

By holster I mean I just made a clip thing with a handle that holds the GPS next to the ipaq so I can hold them both in one hand and still use the stylus.

ctmagnus
02-18-2003, 10:10 PM
I bought a eTrex Venture and I couldn't be happier. I even made a holster that will hold the iPAQ and gps together connected

Does the Venture not have only a serial connection? Just trying to figure out how you connected it to an iPAQ.(?)

36xx/37xx: get the little, short serial cable from HP/Compaq and connect the GPS serial cable directly to it.

38xx+ get a serial autosync cable, the GPS serial cable, a gender-bender and a null-modem adapter such that the gender bender and adaptor have female ends exposed on both ends, connect the two cables to them and go.

gpspassion
02-19-2003, 05:31 PM
The Navman costs $300, plus CF memory, and the maps are proprietary and nowhere near the level of the Garmin Maptech units. Acquire is slow, and routing has nowhere near the capability.
Roger

I'm a bit surprised by your statement, all these systems use proprietary maps based on either the NavTech or TeleAtlas databases so that's not a big minus. The acquire isn't especially slow and the routing is quite capable in my opinion although it's not perfect, in fact I don't know of any perfect routing system ;-)

Kaber
02-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Yeah, even JDAMs (http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/missiles/jdam/flash.html) go off target every once in a while.

Or maybe its just operator error. :P