View Full Version : Compu2Go Reviews Dell Axim X5

Jason Dunn
02-19-2003, 09:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.compu2go.com/aximx5.html' target='_blank'>http://www.compu2go.com/aximx5.html</a><br /><br /></div>"ln November 2002, Dell introduced the first pocket pc to hit the $299 "sweet spot" set by first Palm connected organizer--and starting a price war among its competitors that hasn't let up yet. Thanks to a $50 USD mail-in rebate, both the Advanced sold for $299 USD (the basic for $199 USD) between November & January. Those promotions have ended, but Dell is back in the rebate game with 10% off Axims purchased online from Dell. If this doesn't sound like traditional Pocket PC pricing to you, welcome to the New World!<br /><br />The Axim's low price has forever changed the PDA market place, creating hordes of new Pocket PC users & sparking renewed debate in the 'Pocket pc VS Palm' battle. The X5 was an instant success: 57,000 units shipped between November 18th & January lst. Along with generating the most press- good & bad- in the PDA community since the introduction of the iPaq."

dh
02-19-2003, 10:24 PM
I got to see and hold an Axim for the first time the other day. I guess that's the downside of Dell's market approach, we can't go to Best Buy and play.

Like the reviewer I was impressed with the general air of quality that the Axim has. If someone wasn't aware of the price they would never guess that they were holding the lowest price PPC.

I didn't get to really do anything with the C5 other than turn it on and look at a couple of screens. The screen is super, to me it was as good as the Ipaqs I have looked at.

The C5 felt very good in my hand. After reading some earlier comments, I was expecting a real brick but this was not the case at all. This is coming from a Palm Vx user so I don't think anyone will have a problem with size.

I have been seriously thinking of getting a 5450 but now I'm not so sure. A C5 with BT card would save a lot of dosh.

MPSmith
02-19-2003, 10:32 PM
That was a very well written review. It lays out all the significant pros and cons perfectly. No sugar coating and no overly harsh criticizisms of unimportant defects. This is the review that those "on-the-fence" about getting one should read.

In the under $300 price range, Dell reigns supreme (at least for now)

hdsalinas
02-19-2003, 11:00 PM
I just wish they would have more high-res pictures of the axim!

:roll:

dh
02-19-2003, 11:46 PM
I just wish they would have more high-res pictures of the axim!

:roll:

That'a a good point. I assure you that most pictures do not do it justice. It's much much better looking in life than the photos I've seen would have you believe.

Landis
02-19-2003, 11:46 PM
They're actually back to offering the $50 rebate until Mar 19.

Good news for all who thought they missed out on the introductory rebate ;)

Rirath
02-20-2003, 01:52 AM
The C5 felt very good in my hand. After reading some earlier comments, I was expecting a real brick but this was not the case at all. ... I have been seriously thinking of getting a 5450 but now I'm not so sure. A C5 with BT card would save a lot of dosh.

You do mean X5, right? Just don't want any new users poking through the thread to think there's another Axim out there.
Great review by the way, completely on target.

QYV
02-20-2003, 07:08 AM
>>>Still, there's no way that this PDA is going to fit comfortably in the front pocket of your jeans -- not that it's advisable without a screen cover anyhow.&lt;&lt;&lt;

I dunno about that. I carried my iPAQ 3600 for two years in my front jeans pocket every day, wherever I went. I've been doing the same with my Axim for a few weeks now, and have no complaints.

I'm also trying to go without a case, just using one of the amazingly wonderful WriteSHIELD screen protectors. I realize this is a little more risky, but it's just so nice to be able to not worry about the added bulk of a case or needing to do anything except get the stylus out when I pull it out of my pocket.