View Full Version : Intel Readies Next Handheld Chips

Jason Dunn
02-18-2003, 07:53 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1040-984902.html' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1040-984902.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Intel is adding to its arsenal of processors for portable devices by developing an XScale-based processor, code-named Bulverde, for handheld computers. Bulverde will largely be aimed at devices such as Hewlett-Packard's iPaq rather than at cell phones, according to sources. Cell phones are the target of Intel's recently announced PXA800F chip, code-named Manitoba. Like the PXA800F chip, Bulverde will be based around the XScale microprocessor architecture. However, the new chips will differ in megahertz and component integration from the current XScale PXA family of processors for handhelds, said sources."

jizmo
02-18-2003, 08:08 PM
the new chips will differ in megahertz and component integration from the current XScale PXA family of processors for handhelds

Now that's in-te-res-ting.

Wonder if they'll do a 600mhz version in addition to the fixed bus? Many competitors have already announced faster (in terms of mhz) processors, hopefully Intel will respond to this.

/jizmo

Bob Anderson
02-18-2003, 08:21 PM
Hmmmm...

It will be a very intersting first half of 2003...

New chips from Intel around the same time that some are speculating a new PPC o/s might come out.

What, are Intel and MSFT working together? Nahhhh.... that wouldn't happen, would it? :lol:

szamot
02-18-2003, 09:46 PM
I hope they step away from their usual formula of the highter the speed the slower the bus, that's all.

T

Jason Dunn
02-18-2003, 10:36 PM
I hope they step away from their usual formula of the highter the speed the slower the bus, that's all.

I'm just shooting in the dark, but I think we'll see 600 mhz chips on a 200 mhz bus...and a non-crippled chip. :roll: :D

LarDude
02-18-2003, 11:36 PM
"Cell phones are the target of Intel's recently announced PXA800F chip, code-named Manitoba."

Manitoba?!? Why not Alberta? :wink: