View Full Version : Can current PDA's be upgraded to Pocket PC 2003 ???

spinedoc
02-18-2003, 05:10 PM
I just ordered an Axim and am waiting for it to ship. I have heard the rumblings and rumors of PocketPC 2003 in April, so does this mean I should cancel my order and wait another couple of months? Or can I purchase PocketPC 2003 and apply it to my Axim?

Does this work like Windows? Or is the OS pretty much propietary to the hardware?

Also does anyone have any hints if MS will fix Pocket Word to actually be useful and truly edit MS word documents.

Jason Dunn
02-18-2003, 05:17 PM
All Pocket PC 2002 devices have Flash ROM for this very reason - Microsoft wants them to be upgradable. But here's the reality: they hand off the OS to the OEMs, and it's up to the OEMs to decide if they want to do the work to tweak it for their hardware and sell it. Some OEMs will do that, some won't - and since Dell has no track record in this regard, it's tough to say.

If Dell looks at their Pocket PCs like mini-PCs, they'll offer the upgrade. If they look at them like one-shot appliances, they won't.

BTW, April is only a rumoured date and I wouldn't place my bets on it. :wink:

vincentsiaw
02-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Do you think HP and DELL care to provide the PPC 2003 upgrade if they come out later?

FredMurphy
02-18-2003, 09:44 PM
I'll hazard a guess that HP will provide an upgrade for the 5450 and maybe the 1910 but a few months after a new model running PPC2003 is available to encourage people to buy the new model rather than waiting for the upgrade. Older iPAQs and obviously the Jornadas won't get the option.

If Dell won't even repair broken PDAs I doubt they'll provide a software upgrade they're not obliged to.

There's no way we can be sure though.

spinedoc
02-19-2003, 01:03 AM
Well, is it possible that we could get the upgrade from MS themselves and not Dell/compaq, etc.?

And if we cant upgrade the OS is there any way we can just purchase an upgrade to Pocket Word? Im really hoping MS will fix the current Pocket Word shortcomings.

spursdude
02-19-2003, 02:03 AM
Well, is it possible that we could get the upgrade from MS themselves and not Dell/compaq, etc.?

And if we cant upgrade the OS is there any way we can just purchase an upgrade to Pocket Word? Im really hoping MS will fix the current Pocket Word shortcomings.

If you check out the front-page post about upgrading the OS, it talks about how providing the update is really in the hands of the OEM...i.e. Dell and Compaq, not Microsoft.

As for getting just an individual program update, I highly doubt it...though it is possible.

PetiteFlower
02-19-2003, 06:03 AM
What do you mean, Dell won't fix broken PDAs? Just because they would rather send us a new one first before we send the broken one back? I am SURE that once they get the broken one back, unless it's been like, run over by a truck or something, they will repair it and sell it as refurbished(which it is). Sending us the replacement before we return the defective unit is Good Customer Service--no WAY would I want to wait for a repair! But I sincerely doubt they are just throwing away the returned models, at the very least they're being salvaged for parts.

PPCdev
02-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Everyone missed the most critical part of this post, the subject line.

Im a wee bit offended that my PocketPC was regarded as a *&^%^ PDA!

These are :evil: Not :evil: Palms or organizers, they are :!: POCKET COMPUTERS :!: , running WINDOWS OS.

Whew... Thanks.
Andrew

Rirath
02-19-2003, 08:25 AM

These are :evil: Not :evil: Palms or organizers, they are :!: POCKET COMPUTERS :!: , running WINDOWS OS.

I've tried to hammer home the fact PDA and PPC shouldn't be used interchangeably as well, but I think you're overstating it a bit, eh?
I know how it goes though... just hear it once too often and then something goes *snap*. :twisted: :wink:

PPCdev
02-19-2003, 09:28 AM
SnAp? No Im NoT FrEgGiN SnApPiNg! PDA! If i see these three letters on a PPC site again, Im gonna puke. :lol:

luebster
02-19-2003, 02:19 PM
PDA! If i see these three letters on a PPC site again, Im gonna puke. :lol:

OK....I'll bite. PDA :wink:

PPCdev
02-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Someone fetch me a bucket, here it comes.....

:lol:

spinedoc
02-20-2003, 10:24 PM
It's a friggin PDA for the love of pete. Now my sony srx-87, thats almost a pocket PC.

Im a wee bit offended that my PocketPC was regarded as a *&^%^ PDA!

Whew... Thanks.
Andrew

WindWalker
02-20-2003, 10:39 PM
From SearchCIO:

PDA (personal digital assistant) is a term for any small mobile hand-held device that provides computing and information storage and retrieval capabilities for personal or business use, often for keeping schedule calendars and address book information handy. The term handheld is a synonym. Many people use the name of one of the popular PDA products as a generic term.

From webopedia.com
Short for personal digital assistant, a handheld device that combines computing, telephone/fax, Internet and networking features. A typical PDA can function as a cellular phone, fax sender, Web browser and personal organizer. Unlike portable computers, most PDAs began as pen-based, using a stylus rather than a keyboard for input. This means that they also incorporated handwriting recognition features. Some PDAs can also react to voice input by using voice recognition technologies. PDAs of today are available in either a stylus or keyboard version

From CCI Dictionary
Personal Digital Assistant. A pocket-sized personal computer. PDAs usually can store phone numbers, appointments, and to-do lists. Some PDAs have a small keyboard, others have only a special pen that is used for input and output. A PDA can also have a wireless fax modem. Files can be created on a PDA which are later entered into a larger computer

Now.....what about a Pocket PC is not a PDA, based on these definitions, which I think we can all agree to?

PPCdev
02-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Okay, I yield, the Pocket PC is a PDA. Now, can we give it a rest? Im done, please lock or delete this thread, its going nowhere at the time.

I also used a space between Pocket and PC so I wouldnt be criticized about my deviation from standards in using that phrase.

Have a nice day :wink:

PPCdev
02-20-2003, 10:59 PM
I just ordered an Axim and am waiting for it to ship. I have heard the rumblings and rumors of PocketPC 2003 in April, so does this mean I should cancel my order and wait another couple of months? Or can I purchase PocketPC 2003 and apply it to my Axim?

So long as the ROM is flashable, which Im assuming that most if not all PDAs that run the Pocket PC system, that is WinCE OS (PDA) can have its operating system upgraded (PDA) by way of flashing it with the new image. (PDA)

The only real limitation (PDA) would be if the amount of avaliable ROM memory (PDA) would not be sufficient to allow the flash (PDA) image to be transfered into it.

Im not sure at this time (PDA) how much memory WinCE 3.0 occupies, but it would be safe to assume (PDA) that 32megs of ROM memory would be (PDA) sufficient to upgrade to the next version (PDA) of WinCE OS.

I feel certian that if I have (PDA) given any information within this reply, which is (PDA) in error, and a direct answer to your original question and staying on (PDA) topic, then one of the other fine forum members will be kind (PDA) enough to apply scrutiny in correcting my misinformation.

HTH,
Andrew

ch_thom
02-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Sending us the replacement before we return the defective unit is Good Customer Service--no WAY would I want to wait for a repair!

This is totally off topic but after reading the above I couldn't help but realise that you guys in the States are SOOOO lucky.

My Loox jamed up after 10 days and in the UK good customer service involves the consumer (at their own expense) chasing the manufacturer for a return code, THEN arranging pick up by the retailer (in this case Dabs.com). Forget about a replacement unit before they receive the defective one back.

All in it has taken 6 days to even get the Loox picked up (that happened today) and I don't even have a date for a replacement yet.

The worst part is that when I emailed Dabs.com to ask why I was responsible for doing their job, i.e. sorting out the return of a faulty item, I was treated like some sort of mad man - they just could NOT understand what my problem was!!!!! In fact 2 of my emails were ignored and I had to use their official complaints form to even get a response.

The final answer I got was that they do not provide technical support - talk about missing the point. I didn't want technical support, just a new machine - after all here's not much you can support on a dead machine.

PetiteFlower
02-22-2003, 06:04 AM
Dude, you should have gotten a Dell!

ombu
02-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Can current PDA's be upgraded to Pocket PC 2003 ???

Each OEM will decide, but it will be useless because you won't be able to upgrade your screen.

Regards.

spursdude
02-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Each OEM will decide, but it will be useless because you won't be able to upgrade your screen.

Care to explain more? Do you mean screen technology like higher resolutions and such, or just the beauty of screens like transflective technology?