View Full Version : Axim or wait for Tosh 350?

KuroNeko
02-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Wait for the $199 Tosh 350 or get an Axim now and wait 6 weeks...

I guess the Tosh is a good alternative if the screen is as good as the Axim's. Any news yet on the tech specs of the 350? Will it have the new gen transflective screens or does the low low price bode for old cheap screen tech?

Neko

WindWalker
02-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Clearly, if you are on the fence, you're going to need to wait until the specs for the Toshiba are announced. From all the devices we have seen recently, I'm guessing the differentiator will be if it is a single or dual slot solution and how much memory it has. Everything else seems to come out fairly equal.

KuroNeko
02-17-2003, 10:51 PM
The dual slot is not an issue for me, and the memory on the Tosh will be 32 Flashrom, 64 Ram. Read it somewhere in an announcement, can't remember where.

What is important for me is the screen. So if anyone has heard more specs already, please feel free to break any NDAs you're under :)

Neko

taxus
02-20-2003, 04:39 AM
If it is to be a model at lower price than the e33x, then I'd be surprised if the screen is going to be better on the e350, considering that it's the same OEM that will build the e350 as the e310/e33x.

If I were you, I would buy the Axim. By last year's standards the e310/e330 screen was good, but now it's found wanting. There is also the fact that ClearType is so crappy on these devices as to be useless. (I knew that when I bought it last year, but there was no competition in that price range.)

Of course I may be upset with Toshiba because of the fact that they don't support the e310 anymore, or by the fact that my e310 has crashed and forced me to do hard resets 3 times in the last two weeks. (We'll see if Toshiba agrees to replace it.)

There will always be new models to come, with better specs, at a better price. I say buy according to your needs now. And don't forget an important factor: support, end-user updates for example, or patches. For my part, I have more trust in Dell than in Toshiba.

Shame that shipping times for the Axim suck, I guess the decision would be easier to make.

guilmon
02-21-2003, 04:59 AM
Just go with the axim, because dell is not evil like toshiba, for the e350 will be obsolite in 4 months, when the (speculated) e360 comes out. (just a thought)

spursdude
02-21-2003, 05:21 AM
Just go with the axim, because dell is not evil like toshiba, for the e350 will be obsolite in 4 months, when the (speculated) e360 comes out. (just a thought)

Well, honestly, we don't know if the Dell will become obsolete. The Axim X5 has been their first PPC... don't know what else is coming.

EDIT: bah, sorry bout the messed up quote. I can't even figure out what's wrong with it... EDIT 2: Thank you Steve.

taxus
02-22-2003, 06:06 AM
Yeah, we don't know yet what kind of support can be expected of Dell.

However... at work we bought 260 Dell computers last year. We rarely have problems with them (big change from the Seanix crap we had), and they faithfully follow the terms of the support contract.

Also, their pc support web pages are very nice.

It's my hope that they will support their PocketPC products as well as, say, HP. Time will tell, but let's say I have more faith in them than in Toshiba.

neil ivymount
02-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Dell's service and support (albeit not perfect) consistently outranks all others in the industry for both desktops and laptops. I can't imagine them abandoning this successful strategy.

Steven Cedrone
02-22-2003, 10:52 PM
EDIT: bah, sorry bout the messed up quote. I can't even figure out what's wrong with it...

When you quote someone who has both "Disable HTML and Disable BBCode" checked off in his/her profile, you inherit those attributes...

If you uncheck them in your post, the quote will work...

Steve