View Full Version : Ogg vs MP3 with Equalizer

felixdd
02-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Hopefully someone out there can answer me:
Why is it that the equalizer for both GSplayer and Winampaq function only for MP3's and not ogg's (doubtful, since dbPowerAmp has an eq that works)? Is it that ogg files cannot be equalized while MP3's can? Or is it that the ogg decoding engine used in both GSplayer and Winampaq does not allow it, while the MP3 decoding engine does?

Or is it just my Jornada 568 that's screwed up (I've also heard others that complain the equalizer doesn't quite work on the Jornadas).

Buddha
02-17-2003, 09:56 AM
I think the answer is the second one: both players probably use an 'external' decoding library that does not allow direct control over equalizing. (Maybe it can be done but involves a lot of re-coding)
So it's probably not your jornada having troubles.

Janak Parekh
02-17-2003, 11:23 PM
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll also do so here: there are non-free programs that do support the equalizer for Ogg files (e.g., iPlay), so it's certainly doable. But yes, these programs are probably using the external Xiph decoder and are just pumping the audio out after that.

Has anyone tried PocketMVP?

--janak

felixdd
02-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Yeah I couldn't find the other posts about Ogg equalizers...then after posting I realized someone posted the answer to my question a few minutes before I posted my question (as a matter of fact it was Buddha).

But PocketMVP equalizer doesn't work. Heck PocketMVP hardware buttons don't work either...that's why I don't use it :(