View Full Version : ? RE: Pocket Word & Document Formatting

Gail Glicksman
02-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Hello. I'm about to buy a PDA, most likely the Dell Axim. However, I've read a few reviews that point out the limitations of Pocket Word. In particular, some reviews of Documents To Go for the Palm, indicate that this does a better job of retaining document formatting than does the Pocket Word on Microsoft OS PDAs!

* What are the things to consider when editing Word documents on your PDA?

* Have any of you used TextMaker with your PDA, and does this circumvent the problems of losing formatting in Word documents after editing them on the PDA?

* For those of you who edit Word documents usring your Axim, are you happy with this set up? Do you wish you had a Palm OS with Documents to Go?? What would you recommend to someone trying to make the decision between the Axim and a Palm OS? I use Word, Excel, Access, and Microsoft Outlook on a regular basis.

Thanks. I'd appreciate any advice.

Sincerely, Gail Glicksman <[email protected]>

shawnc
02-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Hello. I'm about to buy a PDA, most likely the Dell Axim. However, I've read a few reviews that point out the limitations of Pocket Word. In particular, some reviews of Documents To Go for the Palm, indicate that this does a better job of retaining document formatting than does the Pocket Word on Microsoft OS PDAs!

IMO PPC is the best thing going these days and Dell is the best of the PPC's. Unfortunately the one area where MS really dropped the ball (again IMO) is their support for Pocket Word. It is abysmal :evil: . From what I have seen, documents to go blows pocket word away.

* Have any of you used TextMaker with your PDA, and does this circumvent the problems of losing formatting in Word documents after editing them on the PDA?

I've tried TextMaker and did not like it at all. Would not recommend it to anyone.

* For those of you who edit Word documents usring your Axim, are you happy with this set up? Do you wish you had a Palm OS with Documents to Go?? What would you recommend to someone trying to make the decision between the Axim and a Palm OS? I use Word, Excel, Access, and Microsoft Outlook on a regular basis.

NO! Again, this is the only area of serious discontent for me with my Axim. I would MUCH rather the Documents to Go setup. I still use my Axim when doing school work, I just have to do major reformatting when syncing back to my desktop. It shouldn't be this way, but what is one to do? As much as this angers me, it would not be enough of a deal-breaker to send me to Palm. There is just to much that the PPC has to offer.

Though Pocket Excel is not much better, I don't find this to be nearly as much of an issue. I think this is because I do most of the heavy lifting in Excel on my desktop (pivot tables, macros, etc). Most of my Access databases are so large that I would not even think of trying to use them on the PPC so I can't offer an opinion on that.

There are a couple of threads that you may find useful on this topic. Try a search on textmaker. I think you'll find some of those discussions to be useful.

Mona13
02-16-2003, 05:04 PM
I bought TextMaker & I really like it. For me it was worth the $.

They are working on an Excel version & I can't wait. SoftMaker said it should be ready soon.