View Full Version : oog Files?

nosmohtac
02-16-2003, 08:34 AM
What is the best way to convert music to .ogg files?
I thought they were supposed to be smaller than mp3, but I converted one to .ogg and it was the same size.
Is there a rule of thumb with this file format that I can use when converting? For example is an mp3 @ 128kb/s equal to an .ogg file saved @ 128kb/s or can I go smaller and see equal quality?

Rirath
02-16-2003, 09:52 AM
Best thing is just to play around and see what works for you. Personally for the .ogg I carry in my Axim, I set it at the insanely low bitrate of 48. With an mp3 that'd be insane, but with .ogg it honestly still sounds great.

As for how, I use dbpoweramp. Type it in at download.com and get the .ogg converter codec thing off the website.

Buddha
02-16-2003, 10:18 AM
I do the same as Rirath, 48kbps ABR Ogg's are fine. I use dBPoweramp aswell, great and easy program. You can even do batch-conversion with the Add-on 'File Selector' (also available on the site)

Now a little simplified explanation as to what bitrate is and means:

the bitrate is an indication to how many BITs a movie or a soundfile is made up of PER SECOND. so if you make an MP3 that has a bitrate of 128kbps this means that you make a file that will use 128 kilobits of data PER SECOND. So if you make a 128kbps OGG file this also means that this file will use a 128 kilobits of data PER SECOND. That's why both files (MP3 and OGG) @128kbps will be about the same size. They both use the same amount of data PER SECOND.

Now where you get the difference is in the sound QUALITY (and this is very different for every persons since everybody has different hearing) what the difference with OGG and MP3 is, is that let's say a 96kbps OGG-file SOUNDS the same (or even better) as a 128kbps MP3.

shawnc
02-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Buddha,

I've often wondered about this. Thanx for the explanation.

xendula
02-16-2003, 05:40 PM
And another question: which player are you using on your ppc to play ogg files?

It would not be the regular dAP form their website, would it? It does not say what OS it supports.

Thanks already for the other info !!

---
Ooops, already got the answer from another thread, sorry for that :oops:

Buddha
02-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Nope, I mainly use WinamPAQ (http://www.projecteam.org/phpwiki/index.php/WinamPAQ%20-%20PDS), which supports MP3 and OGG but you can try PocketMVP (http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/downloads.html) or GSplayer2 (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/gsp.htm) which are both great aswell.
dBpowerAMP has no music player for PPC as far as I know, the one on their site is for the desktop. I use dBpowerAMP strictly for file encoding and conversion, for which it is a great and easy tool.

Rirath
02-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah, WinamPaq here too... killer little music player.
Winamp takes care of my desktop needs. If you download the full version of 2.x and not the lite, it plays .oggs.

xendula
02-16-2003, 10:54 PM
:werenotworthy:

Found your other posts "hidden" in the SD thread but thanks for the PATIENCE!!

nosmohtac
02-17-2003, 05:43 AM
O.K. Thanks for all the great info. I am using winampaq as well, but I have only converted one song so far and tested it out. The settings on the equalizer don't do anything. Is there a trick to this or something I am missing?

Buddha
02-17-2003, 09:40 AM
nosmohtac,

No, you're not missing anything, the equalizers only work with mp3s, why that is I'm not sure (I think because of the way ogg support is added in the programs, via a 'library' or something that doesn't allow direct EQ access), GSplay2 has the same: the equalizers only work with mp3's and (if I remember correctly) PocketMVP aswell. Personaly this doesn't bother me since I don't equalize :D

nosmohtac
02-17-2003, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info Buddha.
I don't really need the eq either, but I though it would be neat to try it out. I have a 3970 that has treble and bass control and that is plenty of control for portable headphones. If I were to use it in my car, through my stereo speakers, I would just use the eq in the car if I felt it necessary.
It is kind of a let down though that it only works for mp3. I don't know about everyone else, but with RAM being as precious as it is I don't know why anyone would use mp3 format on pocket pc when ogg and wma sound so good at a fraction of the space.

Janak Parekh
02-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Some programs do support the equalizer for Oggs. iPlay does, for one, although I also prefer the Compaq DSP-based Bass Boost.

--janak