View Full Version : AS 3.6 problem

MPSmith
02-14-2003, 06:13 PM
AS 3.6 won't sync one of my Outlook contacts and one unresolved item appears, which states, "the following contact cannot be written to Microsoft Outlook due to error 8004011B " and gives me the options of OK, Skip or Cancel. I click OK and it still appears. Even deleting the contact didn't help. Strangely, multiple copies of the contact appears in my deleted items folder of my desktop everytime the PPC syncs.

I can't seem to get rid of that contact!

Any idea?

Rok
02-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Create a folder inside Contacts, move all but the culprit to the new folder, move the PST file somewhere else (so Outlook creates a blank one) and import contacts from that folder only. That should work.

Regards,
Rok

MPSmith
02-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Create a folder inside Contacts, move all but the culprit to the new folder, move the PST file somewhere else (so Outlook creates a blank one) and import contacts from that folder only. That should work.

Thanks for the response. How do I import from a particular folder?

spursdude
02-15-2003, 03:40 AM
Rok provided a pretty good suggestion...

Though, with ActiveSync being as touchy as it is, I also suggest restarting your desktop and soft resetting your PPC. You never know... :)

vincentsiaw
02-15-2003, 04:54 AM
Rok solution is good, however i have this kind of error before, i copy the .pst file, transfer it to my pc, and open it in my pc, gues what i found.. the .pst file is corrupted! :cry:

MPSmith
02-15-2003, 06:00 AM
I wasn't able to get Roc's idea to work. The unresolved contact doesn't even exist on my CPU or PDA anymore. I deleted it in an attempt to corect the problem. Despite deleting it, the contact still appears in my deleted items every time I sync. Weird.

Anyone else have an idea? This MUST be a common error. I know several people that have the same problem, but noone knows how to fix it!

Rok
02-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Well, I guess I should've been more specific. The rogue entry, no matter what (mail, contact, etc.) and no matter where (even in deleted items) is corrupting your PST file (on desktop). The idea is you need a blank PST and import everything but that entry. If you know which one it is and where it is, all the better.

If it's still in the "deleted items" when you're done importing, you've done something wrong (imported everything; if you selectively import mail, contacts and calendar, the deleted items will be empty). Alternatively, there might be another corrupted object. Try exporting only mail, calendar and contacts and then importing them into blank PST. If the item is still in the "deleted items" (before syncing with your PPC!), it complicates things a bit, as you have to repeat the process (starting with blank PST), selectively importing items (for instance, half of contacts at a time). This way, you'll be able to import all the "clean" items, which is the sole purpose of this exercise (so you don't end up with a PST which is beyond any hope of recovery - I've seen that on occasion).

When you're done on desktop, delete the Pocket Outlook databases on your PPC before syncing and select the option of desktop overwriting the device.

Hope this helps.
Rok

Steven Cedrone
02-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Two things I would try: Detect and repair on Outlook itself, and scanpst on the .pst file...

Try the scanpst.exe first (do a search on your desktop, it's usually buried somewhere)...

Steve

MPSmith
02-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks Rok and Steve, I'll give it a shot.