View Full Version : New budget PPC from Toshiba

Delta737
02-14-2003, 12:13 PM
Check this out! http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article1.asp?datePublish=2003/02/14&pages=04&seq=12

Only $199, that's nice!!!

AndrewLubinus89
02-14-2003, 02:07 PM
Check this out! http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article1.asp?datePublish=2003/02/14&pages=04&seq=12

Only $199, that's nice!!!
Very nice. I'd like to see some pics though. Also the screen isn't transreflective. But still nice.

Vincent M Ferrari
02-14-2003, 02:35 PM
:werenotworthy:

Hey? What's that sound? Kinda sounds like a hammer...

Oh wait, it's nails being put in Palm's coffin.

Alright then, carry on...

Seriously, now that there are so many PPC's in the $300-$400 range, I really don't know how much longer Palm can hold out against the PPC and keep market-share. Especially considering even the lowest end PPC does what the highest end Palms do (minus bluetooth, but that's an easily addable and inexpensive option).

Also, I was kinda surprised that Toshiba had that big a market share. 8O Did that come as a surprise to anyone else?

alcdroid
02-14-2003, 02:55 PM
Hmmm.....comsidering that they are planning to release it next month, I am surprised that we never heard any rumors about it until now. You would think the watchdogs would have picked up the scent earlier. :D

I am thinking that this new model might be using the same NAND ROM that the V35 and H1910 are using and maybe even not SDIO capable. What, by the way, is a "semi-transmissive" screen? A backlit reflective?

I suppose Palm would still survive because the majority of people are still familiar with Palms. Check out the "PocketPCs being called PALMs" thread. Still, this kind of pricepoint will put even more pressure on PalmOS licencees.

Cheers!

Vincent M Ferrari
02-14-2003, 03:09 PM
I suppose Palm would still survive because the majority of people are still familiar with Palms. Check out the "PocketPCs being called PALMs" thread. Still, this kind of pricepoint will put even more pressure on PalmOS licencees.

The pressure thing is what I was getting at, actually. I think it puts enormous pressure on Palm licensees. If they want to compete, they have to match features, and they also have to match pricepoint. So far very few Palms have matched the feature-end, but it'll be interesting to see what they try to do price-wise.

Whereas a $350 Palm wouldn't get a blink before, now it may take a second guess to buy one when you can have a choice of Pocket PCs at roughly the same pricepoint.

Kati Compton
02-14-2003, 03:32 PM
May not be transflective, but at least there's lots of RAM in this low end unit.

alcdroid
02-14-2003, 03:40 PM
vincenzosi,

I agree with you totally. This new model might even be more successful than the $199 Axim. The Axim is only being sold online and have just a few kiosks scattered here and there. This new Toshiba PPC will be in retail stores and people will be comparing devices and prices. You might hear a lot of "What does this $199 <Palm device> do? Cool. How about this Toshiba? What? And they are the same price?" :D BTW, the best Palm device at this price is the M130.

Cheers!

TawnerX
02-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Hey this could be that Viewsonic V35 that never be. Or iPAQh1910 without the silly 2.5mm plug, plus serial port and SD/IO.

Let's hope it has attractive casing instead of that "bland beyond hope" Sponge bob square pants metallic look.

Janak Parekh
02-14-2003, 06:28 PM
I'm going to make a front-page post on this today. In the future, you should use the "Submit News" link at the top when you come across these... you might get front-page credit. :)

--janak

spursdude
02-15-2003, 03:39 AM
This Toshiba sounds like good stuff... nice to see them working on pushing prices down.