View Full Version : Bluetooth-enabled Luggage?

Janak Parekh
02-13-2003, 12:06 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=story&articleid=CA274456&spacedesc=Departments&stt=000' target='_blank'>http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.a...rtments&stt=000</a><br /><br /></div>Now here's one from left field. 8O<br /><br />"Maybe it's that some business travelers want to emulate James Bond, or Maxwell Smart.<br /><br />Whatever the reason, wireless technology has crept into luggage via a Bluetooth-enabled attache case from Samsonite."<br /><br />The article is short on details; a bit more information is available on <a href="http://www.samsonite.com/hardlite/">Samsonite's Hardlite website</a> as well as <a href="http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C1275/">this article</a>.<br /><br />Apart from what the above links suggest, would you want wireless-enabled luggage, and if so, what would you like it to do for you? And what I'd really like to know is if Samsonite can see fit to include Bluetooth on a piece of <i>luggage</i>, why are cell phone manufacturers finding it so difficult to put it on cell phones? :x

WillyG
02-13-2003, 12:40 AM
During flight over loudspeaker installation :
"...and we kindly ask all passengers to swich off all electronic equipment during takoff and landing. Electronic devices with radiotransmiters should be kept off during the whole flight"

Passenger seat:
"DAMN i forgot to swich off my suitcase (wich is in the cargo compartment)"

Newspaper heading next day
"Boeing 747 landed in potato field, miraculously no passanger injuries. Suitcase suspected to interfere with inflight system" :)

garrans
02-13-2003, 12:52 AM
I can think of a bunch of applications for the bluetooth case.

a) As suggested: Tracking, is my case on this flight "Hey, I'm here I should be there !"
b) Theft prevention. Need to be in range of the master key to open.
c) Tampering alert / Separation Identification

Last Point: I think pretty soon we won't have to worry about switching off devices in flight. Bottom line, if you could bring down a plane with these things we wouldn't be allowed to have them on the plane at all. Especially now. I'd be more worried about the ground based EMP generator aimed at fly by wire aircraft.

Tom W.M.
02-13-2003, 01:04 AM
So now we have to buy batteries for our suitcases. :roll:

freitasm
02-13-2003, 01:43 AM
"The product... will be available"...

Anyway, the product has to have some functionality. The BT is there, it probably uses the Serial profile, but needs application.

Someone will have to write an app to have a computer/PPC/Palm/Zaurus talking a "language".

An example of this is FlOAT's Mobile Agent. It connect to the mobile using Serial, and you can control it, retrieve SMS, receive notification of incoming calls. Or XTNDConnect:it uses the same Serial to sync OL and mobile phonebook.

So, having Bluetooth will not solve the problem. It'll just make the case able to communicate. But we'll need a standard protocol and an application available for different platforms.

Perhaps Samsonyte will supply the software?

"You can have your green Samsonyte case with software for PPC, Windows or Palm. I'm sorry but the blue one with software for Zaurus is no longer available. Oh, yes, you can log into our website and download the new software for your case. Thank you!"

Duncan
02-13-2003, 01:57 AM
Janak,

I was in a mobile phone shop yesterday - the majority of phones on sale - from Nokia, Ericsson, Siemens, Motorola etc. had BT! In fact it is only a minority of new ones, and a few old models that didn't have it! Several BT enabled phones (including the great T68i) were free on contract.

Why so few are available in the US - well, that all has to do with Qualcom and a spat they had with Ericsson, with regard to CDMA phones. For GPRS - heaven only knows. Common sense and intelligence seem to play little part in US mobile networks strategies...

bdegroodt
02-13-2003, 01:59 AM
Could be a cool way for hotels/airlines to track your preferences and traveler interests. Could be used to customize your travel experience.

Janak Parekh
02-13-2003, 02:00 AM
Why so few are available in the US - well, that all has to do with Qualcom and a spat they had with Ericsson, with regard to CDMA phones. For GPRS - heaven only knows. Common sense and intelligence seem to play little part in US mobile networks strategies...
I do agree with you about the common-sense bit, but not about Qualcomm - they've had Bluetooth capabilities in their CDMA chips for years. As for the Ericsson lawsuits, let's not go there. :)

BTW, most Motorola phones do not have Bluetooth. Either here or internationally. The Timeport 270c was the only one so far; the P280i is supposed to support it, but I haven't seen it hit the market anywhere. The V600 has finally been announced with support for BT. About 50-60% of new Nokia phones don't, either.

I'd agree there's more progress internationally, but still, I'd like to see it in 100% of devices. That's what will enable this technology to take off.

--janak

Pony99CA
02-13-2003, 04:15 AM
I can think of a bunch of applications for the bluetooth case.

a) As suggested: Tracking, is my case on this flight "Hey, I'm here I should be there !"
b) Theft prevention. Need to be in range of the master key to open.
c) Tampering alert / Separation Identification

Point A won't be very useful with a 30-foot range. I wonder if even a Class A (Class 1?) Bluetooth device's 300-foot range would be sufficient.

Point B won't fly (so to speak) if you're going to check the bag now that you're not supposed to lock checked baggage. Also, if somebody steals your bag, I doubt the lock would prevent them from opening the case.

For Point C, I'm not sure what "separation identification" refers to. A tampering alert might be OK, but see Point B; if the bag is stolen, it won't do much good.

One thing it might do is help you locate your bag more easily if you check it. If you can connect and see your identification, you'll know you're within 30 feet of your bag.

Steve

Pony99CA
02-13-2003, 04:18 AM
Could be a cool way for hotels/airlines to track your preferences and traveler interests. Could be used to customize your travel experience.
How would this work? I'm guessing that most people who get this because it has Bluetooth would also have a Bluetooth PDA or phone. In that case (no pun intended), why not use the PDA or phone to transmit the preferences? You'll likely have those with you more than a briefcase.

Steve

Duncan
02-13-2003, 05:12 AM
About 50-60% of new Nokia phones don't, either.actually only two out of the current range of Nokia phones (discounting older phones that are still available) come without Bluetooth - both are budget models without a number of other 'frills'. Someone from Nokia was quoted late last year saying that he expected ALL new releases to have BT within a year.

Sony Ericsson plan to have all models BT enabled in the near future (though again it is only older models and budget models that come without it now).

Motorola have been rather slow - but then they've only just started producing phones that aren't too ugly to be seen with (!).

However - in the catalogue I picked up yesterday there are 18 BT enabled phones listed - from 5 companies (Philips, Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung, and Siemens).

Three models from Motorola, two from Panasonic and one from Sharp are in the coming soon section.

That makes 18 out of 26 available phones BT enabled.

Discount the XDA, the SPV, the 9210i (special cases) and also the 6210 and 3310 (both of which have been superceded) and you are left with 18 out of 21 BT enabled - with 6 on their way!!!

Not quite the 100% you and I would both like to see - but I'd say that if you went into an average mobile phone shop in the UK and threw a dart blindfolded you'd be hard pressed not to hit a BT enabled phone.

Perhaps your original question might be better phrased:

"why do SOME cell phone manufacturers find it so difficult to put it on cell phones?" - e.g. Motorola, when others - Sony Ericsson, Phililips, Siemens etc. are racing headlong into BT only ranges... :?

Janak Parekh
02-13-2003, 05:19 AM
actually only two out of the current range of Nokia phones (discounting older phones that are still available) come without Bluetooth - both are budget models without a number of other 'frills'.
OK, I'll admit my numbers here are skewed because I primarily consider North American-capable Nokia phones, which of course are feature-limited at times. :) Nokia has their own issues, which includes their insistence on dual-band phones; fortunately, that's finally changing for the better.

Motorola have been rather slow - but then they've only just started producing phones that aren't too ugly to be seen with (!).
Well, the v60 line has been immensely popular, since it's fashionable, but for some inexplicable reason they have been exceedingly slow in evolving it. The v600, as I mentioned, is finally the phone they should have produced one year ago.

"why do SOME cell phone manufacturers find it so difficult to put it on cell phones?" - e.g. Motorola, when others - Sony Ericsson, Phililips, Siemens etc. are racing headlong into BT only ranges... :?
OK, that works for me. :) Of course, of all these manufacturers, Motorola has the sizeable CDMA share, so the problems are much magnified on this side of the pond.

--janak

dean_shan
02-13-2003, 05:25 AM
Seems intristing but I don't think it's gonna fly. The idea is ok but it still needs some work. Plus it looks a little too much like an iMac :wink:

mscdex
02-13-2003, 06:54 AM
Great, now only time will tell when someone will hack into your suitcase (pun intended?). :lol:

WillyG
02-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Great, now only time will tell when someone will hack into your suitcase (pun intended?). :lol:

Ow, someone could ftp ot telnet a pair of dirty socks out of my suitcase!

btw: Synaptec announced 2 new products today:
-Burton suitcase security 2004 "Essential protection from viruses, germs, hackers, and privacy threats
-Burton suitcaseAnywhere 1.0 for bags, suitcases and small boxes.

Green Dragon
02-13-2003, 11:35 AM
actually only two out of the current range of Nokia phones (discounting older phones that are still available) come without Bluetooth - both are budget models without a number of other 'frills'. Someone from Nokia was quoted late last year saying that he expected ALL new releases to have BT within a year.

The Nokia 7210 is their current top of the line phone (excluding series 60 models) - this doesn't have bluetooth :x

goirish!!
02-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Janak,

I was in a mobile phone shop yesterday - the majority of phones on sale - from Nokia, Ericsson, Siemens, Motorola etc. had BT! In fact it is only a minority of new ones, and a few old models that didn't have it! Several BT enabled phones (including the great T68i) were free on contract.

I was purchasing a new phone for my wife the other day and wanted to see what was available in BT so I asked to see their selection. The sales person looked as if I came from another planet. "A Blue What?", "It does what with out wires?" "Never heard of such a thing!" 8O

It sometimes doesn't pay to be on the cutting edge. :wink:

Ravenswing
02-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Okay, now I've seen everything.

So I'm gonna carry vital personal information in luggage that get's check into an aircraft hold, am I? I don't think so!

mscdex
02-13-2003, 12:47 PM
I wonder if this means we'll have to replace our suitcases every year or so, along with our PPCs. :) Or, will we have to upgrade them? :P

bdegroodt
02-13-2003, 01:05 PM
How would this work? I'm guessing that most people who get this because it has Bluetooth would also have a Bluetooth PDA or phone. In that case (no pun intended), why not use the PDA or phone to transmit the preferences? You'll likely have those with you more than a briefcase.

Steve

Thinking along the lines of personalizing your experience like the W Hotels do. When you arrive, the music in the room is set to a nice CD, the front desk people often know your name before you tell them, etc. It's only potentially incremental in benefit, but it could go beyond. Why take out my PDA if my suitcase can give it to you without having to do any work?

bdegroodt
02-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Janak,

I was in a mobile phone shop yesterday - the majority of phones on sale - from Nokia, Ericsson, Siemens, Motorola etc. had BT! In fact it is only a minority of new ones, and a few old models that didn't have it! Several BT enabled phones (including the great T68i) were free on contract...

Hmmm, that's odd, because I've been looking at either Sprint or Verizon as my next carrier and I can't find a CDMA phone that has BT included in the handset (No strap on battery stuff.). Those available and I'm just missing it?

aroma
02-13-2003, 01:51 PM
I would like for my suitcase to warn me before my shampoo explodes all over my clothes! :)

Pony99CA
02-13-2003, 03:31 PM

Thinking along the lines of personalizing your experience like the W Hotels do. When you arrive, the music in the room is set to a nice CD, the front desk people often know your name before you tell them, etc. It's only potentially incremental in benefit, but it could go beyond. Why take out my PDA if my suitcase can give it to you without having to do any work?
Do any Pocket PCs allow Bluetooth to stay on while the device is off, waking up on an attempted Bluetooth connection? If so, you wouldn't have to do a thing (assuming your security settings didn't require any confirmation).

Even if you have to turn your PDA on, you might have to turn your briefcase on, too, unless you keep it on at all times, draining the battery.

If your phone has Bluetooth, you might have already turned it on when you reached your destination so you could receive any calls or call someone to let them know you arrived. If so, when you get to the hotel, you again wouldn't need to do anything.

Steve

Pony99CA
02-13-2003, 03:33 PM
I would like for my suitcase to warn me before my shampoo explodes all over my clothes! :)
Do what I do and put your shampoo in a Ziploc bag. Make sure you squeeze most of the air out before you seal the bag.

Steve

Kathy_Harris
02-13-2003, 04:04 PM
Bluetooth must not take off in the US until the 1910 is upgraded :)

Good joke on the shampoo. I've had something like that happen. Now I'll just carry extra zip lock baggies.

The last time I traveled, I purchased a brand new set of luggage. The airport insisted I had explosives (like heart medication). It got searched in front of me (completely) when I flew to Florida, and searched God knows where when I flew back home. I'd like bluetooth to give out messages to the security people!

Janak Parekh
02-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Hmmm, that's odd, because I've been looking at either Sprint or Verizon as my next carrier and I can't find a CDMA phone that has BT included in the handset (No strap on battery stuff.). Those available and I'm just missing it?
Nope. :cry: Motorola, Samsung, and LG, who dominate the CDMA handset market, are all very slow in bringing BT to CDMA. Like I said, Qualcomm already has the chipsets out...

Do what I do and put your shampoo in a Ziploc bag. Make sure you squeeze most of the air out before you seal the bag.
Heh, I do this with every toiletry I pack. I usually have about 6-7 Ziploc bags when I'm traveling. :)

--janak

Duncan
02-13-2003, 07:51 PM
bdegroodt,

You may have noticed that I commented on the fact that CDMA phones are way behind in BT implementation - however, it is not at all surprising to find a lot of BT enabled phones in the UK where we don't have CDMA networks...

The Nokia 7210 is their current top of the line phone (excluding series 60 models) - this doesn't have bluetooth

Green Dragon,

You're a little behind the times there I'm afraid! The 7210 is not the top of the line model, not even top of the line for the 7000 range - in fact it is two generations old now (yeah, I know these things change quickly!).

In the 6000 range the top of the line model is the ageing (!) 6310i - soon to be replaced by the 6650 - both BT enabled. Indeed the older 6210 (still available some places) is also BT enabled now.

In the 7000 range the top of the line model is actaully the 7650 (which has Bluetooth) with the 7210 already being phased out in favour of the 7250 - which has no BT module because it has a stereo FM radio built-in instead(!).

In the 8000 series the current top models are the 8910 and 8910i - both BT enabled. The non BT 8850 is due to be phased out.

The 3000 series has always been a 'style' range (frequently sold as pre-pay phones) for young people. The 3310 has been replaced by the 3330 with the 3410 and 3510 both coming up to fill the lower end of the budget/style/young person end of the market. However - while none of these will be BT enabled - the new 3650 - aimed at the same audience - is BT enabled.

This means that the flagship/current phones for every Nokia range - except the 5000 series (niche phones with unique 'special features') and the 9000 range (basically the 'Communicator') - 3000, 6000, 7000 and 8000 are BT enabled.

Ericsson are putting BT into all their new phones except for the budget range - the T200, T300 and T600.

bdegroodt
02-13-2003, 07:55 PM
bdegroodt,

You may have noticed that I commented on the fact that CDMA phones are way behind in BT implementation - however, it is not at all surprising to find a lot of BT enabled phones in the UK where we don't have CDMA networks...

That makes sense. I've had a couple of GSM/BT phones and they are pretty easy to find here. The CDMA phones are nowhere to be found. I guess it's a difference in perspective of what majority means. For Europe, BT phones probably are in the majority. In the US, I'm afraid that's far from the case.