View Full Version : Palm Digital Media Special

Steven Cedrone
02-11-2003, 06:03 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com' target='_blank'>http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com</a><br /><br /></div>"In memory of the crew of STS-107, Space Shuttle Columbia, February 1, 2003:<br /><br />Beginning at 12:01 on February 11 and continuing through February 12, 10% of each sale made by Palm Digital Media will be contributed to the Space Shuttle Children's Trust Fund. This fund was established in 1986 to aid the children of the crew of the Challenger and has been reactivated now to help the children of the Columbia's crew."<br /><br />Now is your chance to not only buy the books you have always wanted, but to help a worthy cause as well!

JeZaD
02-11-2003, 07:06 PM
The sentiments in this are well meant, as with almost every fundraising activity.

I know it sounds mean, but I feel that there are more worthy causes to give to. These families can't have been the poorest in the world, and I would expect that they will already receive millions of dollars in life insurance. And I'm sure the US govt won't leave them in the lurch - National Pride and all that.

Sorry to bang the drum - I apologise for my outburst.

drop
02-11-2003, 08:00 PM
I would definitely do this.

I greatly admire any and all astronauts/cosmonauts. No one would insure the Apollo astronauts. The families of astronauts endure tremendously all through their loved ones' career. I don't think it is a matter of money.

Thanks, Steven.

jizmo
02-11-2003, 08:02 PM
On the long run 10% would be generous, but since it's such a short time offer, it only sounds like a mean to spice up the sales. 50-100% would be a different case, since it's digital media and there are no material costs.

I'm sorry if I sound a little cynical, but to me this has nothing to do with actually wanting to help people since the company is more likely to have more money after this act of "good will" than before it.

/jizmo

Jonathan1
02-11-2003, 08:14 PM
...EDIT: Never mind answered my own question :P :roll:

Pitty you don't have the option of deleting your post like most BBoards. *shrugs* OH well

Mojo Jojo
02-11-2003, 08:55 PM
In regards to life insurance for the families left behind, it is probably less then you think. Astronauts, while holding amazing job titles and having great experiences, are only eligible for the standard life insurance offered to military personnel and federal employees. There is no special Astronaut insurance. The amount paid to familes from insurance is around 250k. Their take home pay per year ranges from $56,247 to $86,974.

For more info check out this article...
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/040/nation/Americans_who_died_aboard_spac:.shtml

I agree that there are worse people off out there but I wanted to clear up a little bit of a misconception that some people might have. I know people who do Windows NT installations at my company who have better benefits and salaries then these astronauts did, and they don't have to strap their butts to a solid fuel booster rocket. Anyways....

Peter Fry
02-11-2003, 09:28 PM
We're still paying the publishers for these books, you know.

Steven Cedrone
02-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Jonathan1: you should see a "delete" button as long as no one posts after you...

As far as the 10% goes: I see it this way, if you don't want those "well-to-do" children to get the money, just buy your books later this week (And give the money to the "well-to-do" running PalmSource instead)... :wink:

Steve

pro_worm
02-12-2003, 12:40 AM
10% is WAY to little. Some simple math:
1,000 people, inspired to help these families, purchase an eBook at Palmsource - keep in mind that eBooks do not exactly sell like hotcakes; 1,000 is a lot.

Each eBook costs, say, five dollars.
So total revenue is $5,000.
Ten percent of that is $500.
Divide that amongst each of the families, and you get approximately 60 dollars per family, minus administration costs. Whoopteedoo. Now they can buy....

A Compactflash Radio to help them get over the pain of having their parent's carcas explode over Texas.

On the other hand, assuming this offer doubles Palmsource's sales, Palm receives double the revenue for a ten percent discount.
---
Similair type of things occured after September 11th, with junk "Whack-a-Osam-Bin-Laden games coming out and offering 5% of their revenue to some 9/11 fund.
This is opportunism.
And if someone argues that that $60 those families receive is $60 more than they would have received before, then just keep in mind that that $2,000 or so dollars Palm receives -
...Is two thousand more than they would have normally received.

----
In other words, up the ante to 50% and this would make sense. Otherwise, Palmsource comes away looking pretty unhip, in my eyes.