View Full Version : 54xx Activesync figured out... Almost!

rooks308
02-11-2003, 05:24 AM
Hey, I know that this may not solve everyone's problem, but I have completely resolved the activesync issue on my Ipaq 5450 and I think that I know what the problem is. I would often have to reseat my Ipaq in the cradle to get activesync to recognize it. I thought, Why?... Well I paid real close attention to the unit as this happened and I realized that most times, the unit was off, and when it came on, often my security features would promt me to satisfy the set security. I then tried turning the unit on first and inputting my fingerprint(secruity I use) and after it was ready to use I plop it into the cradle. Boom, no problems, I tried this over and over and it now never fails to sync properly. I think that the security features that we all bought the 54xx series units for are doing thier job... sort of :) , and wanting to satisfy the security requirements before syncing. I hope that this helps some of those experiencing issues with activesync and the 54xx series. Good luck!

bucho
02-11-2003, 09:26 PM
I don't have this problem... The first time I synced with the security features enabled, it brought a pop-up screen on the PC asking for the PIN number which you can save. It's been syncing after that without any problems and without passing the security screen on the PDA. However, my security setup is "PIN or Fingerprint"... not really sure how this plays out if it's only fingerprint. In that case, I would guess you need to pass the security on the PDA before every sync.

rooks308
02-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Interesting.... ok anybody else? This did solve my problem. I use fingerprint "or" pin. I have it set to after every turn off the security starts. Even for 1 sec. I have fingerprint as the default option. I have never had another sync issue since though. I hope that this helps at least some people. I am curious to see if this helps others or if it was just a quirk with my unit. :lol:

waanz
02-12-2003, 05:37 PM
I have indeed noticed on my 5450 that:

1. if my ipaq is locked (no password/fingerprint entered) and if I slot it in the craddle, activesync will ask me for the password on the desktop screen but will still login as guest. If i authenticate myself first and then slot the device in, it will still prompt for password on the desktop but will sync with the correct profile.

2. i have also noticed that if the USB charging feature is on, slotting in the device will just turn it on the first time and will not trigger the activesync connection. The device charges but is not connected to the PC. Removing it and inserting it a second time will trigger activesync.

/waanz

seanturner
02-13-2003, 05:32 AM
Recently I've noticed a wierd problem with my 5455; when I put it in the cradle (regardless of whether its off or on), sometimes the orange charging light will not come on and it will not change to full screen brightness, and it will not connect to my desktop. It will, however, show as charging in the power meter.

I then had to do a hard reset of my PPC (too much overclocking) and the problem corrected itself.

Then, I backed up my PocketPC again using hte iPaq Backup utility and the problem has resurfaced itself, but, it only happens intermittently...

bucho
02-13-2003, 06:06 AM
Recently I've noticed a wierd problem with my 5455; when I put it in the cradle (regardless of whether its off or on), sometimes the orange charging light will not come on and it will not change to full screen brightness, and it will not connect to my desktop. It will, however, show as charging in the power meter.

I then had to do a hard reset of my PPC (too much overclocking) and the problem corrected itself.

Then, I backed up my PocketPC again using hte iPaq Backup utility and the problem has resurfaced itself, but, it only happens intermittently...

Same thing happened to me. I though it was weird that the power was on, but the brightness didn't change... and it didn't start syncing. Tried reseeding it few times to no avail. Soft reset fixed the problem, so I didn't pay too much attention to it. I've never used the iPAQ backup utility.

seanturner
02-13-2003, 06:07 AM
Tried reseeding it few times to no avail. Soft reset fixed the problem, so I didn't pay too much attention to it. I've never used the iPAQ backup utility.

Did this happen only once or does it happen repeatidly.

DannyLee312
02-13-2003, 05:20 PM
rooks308, im going to try this when i get home, i think that you are possibly right about this and the whole security issue thing....i think that i have tried playing with the security on and off and when i have them on it prompts me to enter my pin #....and then hopefully this will solve my problem....please list anything else if it comes up.

bucho
02-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Tried reseeding it few times to no avail. Soft reset fixed the problem, so I didn't pay too much attention to it. I've never used the iPAQ backup utility.

Did this happen only once or does it happen repeatidly.

Happened again today. This time it was exactly like you described it and soft reset did not help. Here is what I found:

- if you turn the device off and unplug USB, then dock, it will start charging
- if you turn it on (in that wacky state), then dock, it will not charge
- soft reset does not help, problem remains
- took the battery out/in, started working without problem

What this tells me is that the h5455 has software that controls the power source. I was futzing with BT all day and must've locked up something in the software that prevented the power source to work correctly. I'm not sure why soft reset doesn't remedy the situation... maybe it's some firmware problem on the on-board chips and the battery reset is the only thing that resets those chips.

At least you don't lose your data when this happens. This thing needs a service pack badly...

seanturner
02-14-2003, 01:00 AM
I had another wierd error which could not be corrected by a soft reset. For some reason WLAN would not turn on, no matter how many soft resets I did.

So, finally, I pulled the battery and that corrected the problem...

What does a soft reset do exactly if not cut the power source?

bucho
02-14-2003, 07:04 AM
I had another wierd error which could not be corrected by a soft reset. For some reason WLAN would not turn on, no matter how many soft resets I did.

So, finally, I pulled the battery and that corrected the problem...

What does a soft reset do exactly if not cut the power source?

Yeah... had that one, too. But it's a pretty good question: what is the difference between a soft reset and resetting the battery? My guess would be soft reset only reloads the OS. The 5455 must have some additional dedicated hardware inside maybe for BT, 802.11, fingerprint, power? It looks like some of these subsystems have their own firmware which does not get reloaded during soft-resets, but a battery reset would cut their power completely, so the firmware will reload on the next boot... I don't know, it's just a guess. Any other explanation?

seanturner
02-14-2003, 07:32 AM
Well, I know that bluetooth and the biometric login all have their own software programs which load at bootup. Icons for them are in your startup menu...

I would think power would be integrated into the OS.