View Full Version : Wireless email settings.

louiewu
02-11-2003, 05:15 AM
I have a 5455 with 802.11b and my own mail server. Due to circumstances beyond my control (ie Roadrunner blocks port 25) I must use a different port for my smtp server. My question is how do I change the port on the Ipaq to use this new setting so it will send out my replies from my Ipaq. I can receive just fine, but can't send unless I can change to another port.

I am running MDaemon Pro so the setup is quite easy to modify on the server side of the equation...but I am locked out of port 25 because the RR people are activly blocking port 25 on the entire network. They don't like it when somebody upsets their little cart.

Dave Beauvais
02-11-2003, 05:52 AM
As far as I know, Pocket Inbox does not allow you to do this. I suppose you could try adding :[port number] after the server's name or IP address, but I doubt that will work. Example:

smtp-server.city.rr.com:29

--Dave

Janak Parekh
02-11-2003, 06:43 AM
I don't know how sophisticated your server setup is, but it sounds like your best bet is to use an SSH port forwarding tool, then set up the Inbox client to point to "localhost" as your SMTP.

--janak

seanturner
02-13-2003, 05:21 AM
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but, what about setting up your pocketpc to do an ActiveSync over the internet and syncing it that way? When you send an email on the PPC, it will send from the desktop next time you sync.

I know there is an article on how to do this using dialup somewhere on this site. That should give you the jist of how to do it.

louiewu
02-15-2003, 07:20 AM
As far as I know, Pocket Inbox does not allow you to do this. I suppose you could try adding :[port number] after the server's name or IP address, but I doubt that will work. Example:

smtp-server.city.rr.com:29

--Dave

Thx...I tried that however and it will not work...again thx

louiewu
02-15-2003, 07:21 AM
I don't know how sophisticated your server setup is, but it sounds like your best bet is to use an SSH port forwarding tool, then set up the Inbox client to point to "localhost" as your SMTP.

--janak

every sshce client I have tried will not work on the 5455...Thx anyway...

I was hoping for maybe a registry hack to accomplish the port change

louiewu
02-15-2003, 07:23 AM
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but, what about setting up your pocketpc to do an ActiveSync over the internet and syncing it that way? When you send an email on the PPC, it will send from the desktop next time you sync.

I know there is an article on how to do this using dialup somewhere on this site. That should give you the jist of how to do it.

Wish I could locate that article...might help...

Thx

seanturner
02-17-2003, 05:34 AM
Wish I could locate that article...might help...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,3607