View Full Version : Is it possible to remotely access applications like MS word with Pocket PC over wifi??

spinedoc
02-11-2003, 03:17 AM
OK my main purpose for wanting to own a pocket pc is so I can take my daily patient notes thru some kind of a pocket work program and remotely print them so they are ready for the patient as they leave to sign. I have tried pocket word as well as textmaker and found both extremely lacking, especially in regards to displaying tables (crucial for me) and in accessing and editing network files.

Lately I have been considering the Viewsonic Airpanel V110. This is a Win CE display panel that acts as a wireless monitor/touchscreen to access anything on your host PC. The only problems are that the panel is $1000+ and the handwriting recognition is awful, so I am going to pass for the moment.

OK so are there any programs for the pocket pc where I can remotely access MS Word on my desktop, modify docs directly on my desktop, save and print them. If these programs exist what are the limitations? Are they too slow?

For on the road doc editing I can just use my laptop. Using my pocket PC is so I can be in the room while consulting patients and to save time. I would only write a paragraph or 2 for each patient, so its not heavy duty.

What do you guys think? Is there any way to just use the pocket PC thru wifi as a simple remote control for my desktop where I can open and edit Word files?

I suppose this is my last hope...

PapaSmurfDan
02-11-2003, 03:49 AM
If your machine is 2k or XP pro, you could try to install Windows Termnial Services and use Terminal Services Client on your PPC. Actully this is what those dumb tablets do. VNC does have a WinCE client, however I still can not figure out how to secure the VNC Service enough to my parinoia level. There are other commerical options like PC Anywhere (which I think has a CE client). Not to long ago, there was a package here reviewed that had a zoom capalbility so you could see your whole desktop on a screen. I can't remember what is is called so take a quick look through the software section of the front page.

Speaking from my Terminal Services for remote connections, it is fairly fast and does a good job in general. However, I have never seen it installed on a non 2K server machine (I have heard of it being installed on 2k pro, but never seen one personaly). However, dealing with TS on a PDA screen can be tricky due to the small size.

-Dan

IronGeek
02-11-2003, 03:52 AM
If your desktop is Win XP or 2000 server you can set up remote desktop or teminal server and use the Terminal Server client installed by default on Pocket PC 2002. If its Window 2000 Pro/98/95/Mac OS/Linux/a Toaster oven look into VNC. Because of screen size it might be a bit rough to use.

spinedoc
02-11-2003, 03:57 AM
So using this terminal (of which I am clueless, but I am a fast learner) I can fire up my pocket pc and remotely control MS Word?? I know it will be rough with the small screen, but at least I feel I am on the right track.

It amazes me that MS would sell a $1000 "Mira" remote display unit and no company out there is smart enough to write a software program that would turn your Pocket PC into a cheaper "mira" !! Especially now that more and more Pocket pcs are getting built in wifi or the option of adding it on, its a no brainer.

By the way, it the terminal service built into winxp? I have pro on my desktop at work, but only xp home on my laptop.

IronGeek
02-11-2003, 04:03 AM
It does not come with XP Home unfortunately, check out Here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/remotedesktop/default.asp) for more info on Remote Desktop

spinedoc
02-11-2003, 04:04 AM
I remember seeing an ad for this kind of software in some PC magazine at the bookstore, but I forget the companyname. They had a pocket pc with the screen surrounded by dotted lines implying "cut and paste" look. It seemed that it allowed the pocket pc to remotely control the desktop and it would resize the display to match the pocket pc.

I will go to the bookstore tommorrow and see if I can find that ad.

Sooner Al
02-11-2003, 01:08 PM
...via a TSC session on my iPAQ 3835. This is using an XP Pro desktop running Remote Desktop.

http://www.oecadvantage.net/ajarvi/ScreenShots/TSCDesktop.JPG

http://www.oecadvantage.net/ajarvi/ScreenShots/TSCWord.JPG

For additional help with TSC look at this page...

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/club/support/support_topic.asp?cid=0&tid=15

spinedoc
02-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Wow Sooner Al I think this is what I am looking for. Is there any lag in editing word docs? Is this a useable solution?

Now to wait until 2/25/03 when Dell ships their Axims... Can anyone convince me to get an Ipaq 5450? Primary concern is battery life, cost is NOT an issue. I have heard the Axims have insane battery life.

spinedoc
02-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Also another idea which may help with editing word docs is if they added the ability to view them with the pocket PC on its side, this way you would get near the full width of the doc and only have to scroll up and down.

etron
02-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Remote Desktop is the way to go due to it's speed. VNC is rather slow, but it does work. I also have NetOp running (www.danware.com) which is similar to PCanywhere/VNC, and has a client for most Operating systems (including PPC). Works great!

Mira is a total different technology since it's pretty much a smart monitor that can be turned into a webpad type device, using a protocol based on RDP I believe (remote desktop/terminal services).

One other option you might consider is setting up your own webserver, set up a small website using PHP or something to allow you to submit data using HTML forms, this way you could use PocketIE, would be faster than any of these remote control applications, and you can store the data in txt/html files (which word can read just fine). Of course, you would need the time or knowledge on setting this up, the only other expense being the hardware (eventho you could run this on an existing windows system that has word installed using Apache and PHP for windows). Good luck and let us know what you went with.

Sooner Al
02-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Wow Sooner Al I think this is what I am looking for. Is there any lag in editing word docs? Is this a useable solution?

Now to wait until 2/25/03 when Dell ships their Axims... Can anyone convince me to get an Ipaq 5450? Primary concern is battery life, cost is NOT an issue. I have heard the Axims have insane battery life.

...over my 10/100 Mbps LAN. All of my desktops are on 100 Mbps segments, while my iPAQ wireless is on a 10 Mbps (nominal) segment. I do have my XP Pro Remote Desktop setup so the normal background wallpaper is not transmitted over the TSC link. That is setup in a group policy.

Something to keep in mind in all of this is security. Since your talking about patient records then you want to take care in securing your wireless, and wired, network. Here is some information that you may find useful...

Pages that provide guidance for securing wired/wireless SOHO networks...

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,34635,00.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/bowman/december03.asp

Personally, on my home wireless network, I do the following...

1. Enable WEP. Change the WEP key once a week.
2. Change the network SSID to something other than the manufacturers default. Change the SSID weekly.
3. Change the default wireless access point Administrator password to something different. Use a strong password.
4. Turn OFF the SSID broadcast.
5. Use MAC Address Authentication to only allow selected cards access to my wireless segment.

Nothing is completely foolproof, but it all helps to keep the barbarians outside the gates...

Look for JSLandscape or NYDITOT for your idea of viewing the PocketPC display in landscape mode. I have tried NYDITOT with my old 3630 but did not like it. I have not tried JSLandscape. Others can advise you on that.

Personally, I would go with the iPAQ 54XX device with the built-in 802.11b. It just makes sense to me...

Good luck...

You may want to post further wireless questions over in the wireless forum...

aroma
02-12-2003, 08:22 PM
One other thing to keep in mind. Running WiFi on the PocketPC is going to SERIOUSLY drain your battery life, no matter which PPC you go with. I don't know of any numbers, but depending on how much you are going to use it, you may not make it through the day without charging it. I would definately suggest getting a PPC with a easily replacable battery (ala the 5450 and I think the Axim) and possibly purchasing a spare battery and charger so that you'll always have a charged battery ready.

Personaly, I would recomend the 5450. I've been using one since early December and I love it. The biometric security works wonderfully. Plus, I much prefer the integrated WiFi with the little "nubin" attena, as opposed to a honking atena you get with most WiFi Compact Flash cards.

spinedoc
02-14-2003, 02:01 AM
Im pretty psyched up about my Axim, if it ever ships... I am getting the extended battery with it too, so I should be good for half a day, pop it in the charger during my 3 hour lunch and Im good to go!

Plus the antenna on the Linksys wcf12 is very small form factor.