View Full Version : any news on the rumored GSM 5xxx iPAQ?

dave
02-10-2003, 10:48 PM
remember several months ago when the first pics of the 5450 first surfaced on the internet??? there were images of multiple models, one of which actually showed a GSM SIM slot under the battery.

has anyone heard any updated info/rumors/innuendo on said device? a 5450 for $599 is pretty tempting, but the addition of GSM would make it the bizomb, and i would be bitter if it were released shortly after taking the plunge.

snazzy
02-11-2003, 12:43 AM
I've heard rumours that it'll be out march/ april. Which I would think is very possible.

Janak Parekh
02-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think any rumors are actually confirmed. Before we see it in the US, it's got to pass FCC inspection. There are 3-4 sites on the 'Net that watch that very closely, and none of them have turned up a GSM/GPRS version of the iPaq just yet.

In fact, I've also heard rumors it's cancelled... so anything may go as a rumor right now.

--janak

alkandery75
02-11-2003, 09:16 PM
:cry: :( :?
HP Developing New Wireless Handheld
By the Brighthand News Team
February 11th, 2003
HP will release later this year a handheld that makes use of GPRS wireless networks, according to DigiTimes. At this point, almost nothing else is known about this model, besides the fact that it will go into production at High Tech Computer (HTC) in the second half of this year.

The article refers to the device as the iPAQ4. It seems likely this is an internal designation for the device, not its final name.

It may run the Pocket PC Phone Edition (PPCPE), or it may run a new version of Microsoft's mobile operating system that is rumored to be coming later this year.

For more details check here:
New_HP_Model_with_GPRS_Coming (http://www.brighthand.com/article/New_HP_Model_with_GPRS_Coming)

Whyyyyyyyy all this delay for
:?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :!:

Janak Parekh
02-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Yup, I have already queued a post up for today on this. Vaguenesses ahoy! :D

--janak

MultiMatt
02-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Even if this is true, I can't believe that it's another GPRS device!!! This is killing me! I want an iPAQ that is CDMA-capable! I don't want the ugly-arse Hitachi or Samsung versions!

It's talk like this that has me confident that I can purchase the 5400 model that I have been debating about getting, and I won't have to worry about making my purchase prematurely. Previously, I feared that as soon as I purchased a new model, the CDMA phone version would come out...

It will be a LONG while, if ever, that an iPAQ is made for the CDMA network!

Matt

portwerm
02-16-2003, 09:23 PM
not gonna happen.... GSM owns the world right now - all of africa/asia... plus all of europe... and south america as far as i know. Theres no point in focusing on technologies with such a small target group...

MultiMatt
02-17-2003, 02:15 PM
Precisely the reason why there are so few Blutetooth-enabled phones, particularly on Sprint and Verizon's networks.
With only a small minority of people requesting or wanting BT technology, (these two carriers in particular) have felt no compelling reason to stock them.

Small target group - forget the technology!

Matt

thunderpuma
02-18-2003, 01:24 AM
I saw it with my own eyes. there is a version of the iPAQ 5455 that the stores are selling here in Saudi Arabia that has a SIM card slot under the battery. I tried installing my SIM in the demo device at the store and there was no apparent change.'Plus the unit is loaded with the standered Pocket Pc OS not the phone edition.

The sales rep said that local HP guys told him that the unit will function as a GSM/GPRS unit as soon as a "new firmware is released" the time frame that the sales rep gave me was 2 months.

I couldnt find anything on the HP website about this. Any clues??

ctmagnus
02-18-2003, 01:30 AM
I saw it with my own eyes. there is a version of the iPAQ 5455 that the stores are selling here in Saudi Arabia that has a SIM card slot under the battery. I tried installing my SIM in the demo device at the store and there was no apparent change.'Plus the unit is loaded with the standered Pocket Pc OS not the phone edition.

afaik, all 545x's have that slot.

alkandery75
02-18-2003, 10:06 AM

The sales rep said that local HP guys told him that the unit will function as a GSM/GPRS unit as soon as a "new firmware is released" the time frame that the sales rep gave me was 2 months.

I couldnt find anything on the HP website about this. Any clues??

This is true, it is the same here in Kuwait, my iPaq dealer seller told me the same thing, and I visit the main office to confirm that, and they told me that they are 200% sure about that.... :D 8O :lol: :P

ctmagnus wrote:
afaik, all 545x's have that slot.
You are right all 545x have the SIM slot, but not al of them has it with connectors(Dumy slot) :wink: , the first realease of the 54xx was not have the slot activitaed with any hardware, and later release have a full activated SIM slot :o ...

Finally, I'm asking my self, Why the GSM/GPRS sleeve is not working with the 54xx... Maybe because it is already equiped with a GSM/GPRS Module :? ??!! :?: :!:

I tried to contact Compaq/HP Dealer, but they are not replying, and I got a reply from the US Dealer saying they do not know!!! :!:
So, Why do not we all try to confirm that by contacting the Local Compaq/HP Dealer Support...

MultiMatt
02-18-2003, 02:45 PM
All I've got to say is, if that were true, I'd be delighted!
To me, the ultimate device would have phone capability as well as Wi-Fi, all built in!

Excuse me while I daydream for a moment!
:roll:

Matt

alkandery75
02-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Hello all
I'm very sorry to say that what I've said are not true, here are what I got from Compaq Dubai
Dear Sir,

Please find the response from the Product Manager:

This iPAQ is NOT GSM/GPRS enabled and will NOT support it in the future as well. The slot, at the back, is for a security feature, rather than for a SIM Card.

Best Regards,

Angus Morrison

CRM Sales Manager

Email - [email protected]

Office - +971(4) 881-8100

Direct - +971(4) 803-2233

Mobile - +971(50) 650-2593

Fax - +971(4) 881-3931

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, February 18, 2003 12:43 PM
To: Mohammed, AbdulAziz
Subject: >>> iPaq H5450 <<<

Hello
My Compaq/HP Dealer in Kuwait has the new H5450, and he is selling it as a GSM/GPRS enabled Handheld. Also, he said that there will be a software update within 2-4 weeks for this handheld to enable the GSM/GPRS function? and he told me that he is sure 100% about that and he ask me to send you this eMail to be sure about that!!
So, Is that true ???
And if it is true, when this software will be available???

Thanks a lot in advance and Best regards,,,

So, I think that compaq Dealers in SA and Kuwait are big liers :evil: :twisted: ...

anyway, it was a very nice dream... :roll: :oops: :cry:

MultiMatt
02-18-2003, 06:14 PM
POOF
There goes my daydream!

:cry:

Matt

ctmagnus
02-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Dear Sir,

This iPAQ is NOT GSM/GPRS enabled and will NOT support it in the future as well. The slot, at the back, is for a security feature, rather than for a SIM Card.

Kinda makes sense to me. I figured it was either a sim slot, for security purposes or completely useless at the current stage of the game.

Shadowcat
02-20-2003, 03:40 AM
Dear Sir,

Kinda makes sense to me...

That's funny. Perhaps I'm missing something glaringly obvious, but I don't understand that statement at all. That is obviously a dummy SIM card slot (or I guess I should say it should be). Assuming that the slot is a security feature, what purpose does it serve? Has anyone ever seen/heard of a security system that uses a slot that looks suspiciously like a SIM card slot? Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks in advance

MultiMatt
02-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Or is that possibly the answer to give when you are under non-disclosure?!!!!

Hmmmmm..!
:turn-l:

Matt

Eitel
02-20-2003, 02:58 PM
The answer is simple. When HP desing the 545x, they were thinking in the 56xx also (BT and GPRS). Instead of having two different designs, they make both the same, with the exception of the antenna. So, that SIM slot of the back of the 545x it was meant for the 56xx, which was cancelled. The SIM slot in the 545x is not connected to anything. In fact, there's a person in the BH boards that got a 5455 with the slot with no pins at all.

There are now reports that HP went back with HTC and they are going to try to revive the 56xx line.

MultiMatt
02-20-2003, 03:53 PM
It seems to me that HP would be foolish to not pursue a 56xx model of some sort. Personally, I think that a Phone Edition of the iPAQ design would simply smoke the competition, particularly if it maintained all of it's current bells & whistles like the 39xx or 54xx's.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear of HP trying to get back on track with a Phone Edition...

But, on an interesting side-note:
On Tech TV last night, Mark Cuban (former Broadcast.com maven) was interviewed, and he said something that made a lot of sense. (I'm paraphrasing from memory): He said that there is not money in wireless at the moment, and that there is a current trend toward using the technology we have right now, rather than there being a lot of innovation. (again, I am recalling this from last night).
My point being, it does seem like the companies are not exactly "on fire" with new releases. Yes, some stuff is still trickling out, but with as mediocre as the (US) economy is right now, I think Mark is on to something there...

Matt

GSibble
02-21-2003, 04:27 PM
As for this discussion, there are so many rumors flying around the internet about this one that its starting to drive me nuts. This is what I have managed to get together:

:arrow: The H5600 series may or may not happen. The FCC has yet to receive the application and they tend to take their time with devices such as these. (Example: the XDA from T-Mobile took a year for approval...there were pictures of it online 12 months before we could buy it)
:arrow: The SIM card in the back of the IPaq is obviously there so that the H56xx could be built using the same body as the 54xx, saving time and money.
:arrow: There is no way a firmware update could activate a GSM/GPRS module already installed in the 5450. If they had included that module without FCC support, HP would get in big trouble. Hence, that just isn't going to happen.
:arrow: And finally, it sounds like the way that the IPaq is designed, the WLAN component is going to have to be removed in order to make room for the GSM/GPRS module, which would make sense. Think about it...they are trying to make the most powerful device in the smallest form factor possible. If there is extra room in the 5450, (hence allowing for a GPRS module and a Wi-Fi adapter), they would have made it smaller to begin with. So our wetdream of a GSM/GPRS, 802.11b, and Bluetooth PDA can die for now :( At least until tonight....

I hope that helps!!! We can all keep dreaming though.....

P.S. I just though this would be really funny to add...
HP----> :snipersmile: A WIFI, GSM, GPRS, BLUETOOTH PDA

Khufu1
02-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Comment about "That's funny. Perhaps I'm missing something glaringly obvious, but I don't understand that statement at all. That is obviously a dummy SIM card slot (or I guess I should say it should be). Assuming that the slot is a security feature, what purpose does it serve? Has anyone ever seen/heard of a security system that uses a slot that looks suspiciously like a SIM card slot? Can anyone enlighten me please?"

A sim card is a type of smartcard. Credit cards, Satellite TV, and many other devices use smartcards to hold data, most commonly an encryption key.

But, that was a line of BS IMHO and it is a dummy slot so they don't need to fabricate multiple parts for the 5000 series.
-Khufu1

Shadowcat
02-22-2003, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the answer. I thought it was BS too. Thanks for clarifying what a SIM card was. I admit I had no idea that they are considered a type of smart card! :oops:

ctmagnus
02-22-2003, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the answer. I thought it was BS too. Thanks for clarifying what a SIM card was. I admit I had no idea that they are considered a type of smart card! :oops:

Well, I knew that they can go in cell phones and they can go in cellular modems so you don't need multiple phone #s to access the Internet, but it never occurred to me that that they were "smart cards" either. :)

imo, the first truly smart card will be the size of a sim card, every single wallet and/or keychain in existence will have a means to contain them so everyone can take one wherever they go, and they will contain your drivers license info, library info, book club info, whatever you want. But they'll only be smart if they contain _only_ the info you want. Too much stuff on one card and it's too easy for identity theft to occur.