View Full Version : Help needed desperately- 3630 blank screen

alexandr0s
02-10-2003, 08:11 PM
I just bought a used 3630 (from dear old ebay), and I seem to be having a problem.
Here's the situation: when I switch it on, the backlight comes on but the screen remains blank, although it looks to be operational, because it "responds" to resets (slow fading, showing lines for an instant). I know that it is on because activesync recognizes the machine, goes ahead with synchronization, and I can access its folders. Following advice I found on other threads here, I went ahead with a hard reset, but to no avail-nothing's changed.
So, is the screen damaged, or is it that I'm doing something wrong? I apologise in advance for my total ignorance, but it’s my first ipaq, and I don’t even have a manual.
Thanks to all.

Chris Hendriks
02-10-2003, 09:00 PM
when you say "hard reset" - you mean that you actually flipped the switch on the left bottom off - counted to 30 - then flipped it back on. (reason I ask is that many folks confused a soft reset with a hard reset).

Try above a couple of times - if it doesn't work then you probably have a bad unit.

alexandr0s
02-10-2003, 09:24 PM
when you say "hard reset" - you mean that you actually flipped the switch on the left bottom off - counted to 30 - then flipped it back on. (reason I ask is that many folks confused a soft reset with a hard reset).

Try above a couple of times - if it doesn't work then you probably have a bad unit.

Yes, unfortunately I did perform a proper hard reset. Tough luck I gues eh?
Thanks for the reply.

Alex

mscdex
02-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Did you also tried soft resetting? Also, has the iPaq been registered with Compaq yet? If not, the warranty may still be valid.

alexandr0s
02-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Did you also tried soft resetting? Also, has the iPaq been registered with Compaq yet? If not, the warranty may still be valid.

Yeah, I did try soft resetting as well but no luck.
As for warranty, I think a 3630 is too old to qualify for warranty-but thanks for the reply.

mscdex
02-11-2003, 04:13 AM

Yeah, I did try soft resetting as well but no luck.
As for warranty, I think a 3630 is too old to qualify for warranty-but thanks for the reply.

I think as long as the iPaq hasn't been modded internally, you can go buy a warranty from HP (Compaq), and then send it in? I'm not sure about this, but for some reason I was thinking you could buy a warranty afterwards.