View Full Version : Anyone use the SV-AV10 with a PPC?

geez
02-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Seeing as how practically every PPC out there nowadays has a SD slot, I was wondering if anyone has used the Panasonic SV-AV10 with their PPC. I've been considering getting the SV-AV10 just for the coolness factor of being able to film short movies, popping the SD card into the PPC and watching it anywhere I go.

The SV-AV10 supposedly compresses movies using MPEG4 into ASF files. Can media player 8.0 or 8.5 play ASF files? I know it plays WMA and WMV files.

For those who don't know what the SV-AV10 is, it's a cool 4-in-1 gadget (digital camera, digital video recorder, MP3 player and voice recorder) that uses SD cards and is only about the size of a large box of matches. If you've never seen it, think "baby camcorder".

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/ewear/sd_av.asp

geez
02-10-2003, 08:03 PM
For those interested, the SV-AV10 is on clearance sale at Circuit City for $299.95 with free shipping.

Keep in mind that this device is a jack-of-all-trades but master-of-none. Those who are looking for a high quality device that takes perfect 2+ Mpixel pictures and records Divx-like movies, don't even bother. It's mostly for gadget freaks (like me) that'll find this device quite cool.

For me, the device would be perfect for the PPC because the movies are recorded at 320x240 resolution (the exact resolution of the PPC screen). Still pics are 640x480.

PapaSmurfDan
02-11-2003, 02:03 AM
At 300 bucks, forget it. My old 100 buck Kodak Digicam has a higher resolution (1.2 megapixels), anything less than 1megapixels anymore is a toy. A 1megapixel camera is barly adaquate for taking pictures of notes off whiteboards (what I use mine the most for, until I get an electronic whiteboard). Movie recording is becomming more common on digicams now, and if you look, most likely you will find a consumer level digicam with SD with the same features.

-Dan