View Full Version : Laridian Releases New Paraphrase Bible

Ed Hansberry
02-10-2003, 09:30 PM
<a href="http://www.laridiansales.com/order/productpages/LBKMSG001.asp?order_platform=ce">http://www.laridiansales.com/order/productpages/LBKMSG001.asp?order_platform=ce</a><br /><br />Laridian has released a new paraphrase bible for Pocket Bible called "The Message."<br /><br />" 'The Message' provides a refreshingly unique Bible-reading experience. Translated directly from the ancient Hebrew and Greek texts into contemporary speech, The Message is designed to open up new understanding and insight as you read God’s Word. With no formal language and no verse numbers, the Scriptures unfold like a gripping novel. Passages you’ve read many times before come alive, revealing the vibrant energy and passion of God’s Word."<!><br /><br />The differences in the paraphrase bible can be astonishing. Here is John 3:16.<br /><br />New American Standard: For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.<br /><br />The Message: This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.<br /><br />Certianly not a bible you'd study from, but one that would be much easier to read at night. It is $19.99, requires a new Pocket Bible (free download for existing owners) and is approximately 2.7MB.

ploeg
02-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Sure you give John 3:16 as an example. What does it do for Numbers? :wink:

bagemk
02-10-2003, 09:48 PM
In this the 21st century, I am amazed at how many products there are that are based around outmoded supernatural ideas.

While I accept that there are those who need to believe in their faiths, these products definately get a disproportionate amount of coverage on the Pocket PC sites.

Duncan
02-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Nothing can make Numbers readable!!!! :) I like the approach of the Contemporary English Version - it just reduces the text size of all those interminable lists... :wink:

XmanHP548
02-10-2003, 10:05 PM
"...around outmoded supernatural ideas?" - that's funny. I am quickly coming to think that beliving Microsoft will ever release anything of real worth falls under that descriptor. :twisted:

Seriously, though, if you are Christian or Jewish, chances are you will find The Message a worthwhile download. The author really takes pains to flesh a lot of grace and poetic meaning out of the Hebrew scriptures and New Testament. I am pysched to see it released!

Duncan
02-10-2003, 10:10 PM
bagemk,

these products definately get a disproportionate amount of coverage on the Pocket PC sites.

I've never seen Bible software, on this or any other Pocket PC site, reported without good reason - a new product or offer available. If you are seeing disproportionate coverage then that is your perception - I doubt you could produce evidence to prove your point.

BTW -

While I accept that there are those who need to believe in their faiths

it is very good of you to allow us poor deluded fools our mistaken, outmoded beliefs - I for one feel a great weight lifted from my shoulders...! 8)

ploeg
02-10-2003, 10:27 PM
bagemk: There's no conspiracy here, just simple market forces. If you think about it, bible software is a killer app for PPC.

* You can do full-text searches on a word or phrase without resorting to a bulky, expensive concordance.
* You can easily compare the text of different translations side-by-side (again, without having to carry multiple books with you).
* Oh, yeah, you can also keep your schedule on the same device.

Jonathon Watkins
02-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Agreed - for pastoral work or Biblical study the PPC rocks! It is great to hold in one's hand the combination of study and reference material and it really acts as an enabler!

shindullin
02-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Not to mention the fact that you can take it to Bible study or Church without having to spend $50 plus to keep an "extra" one in you car for travel. Plus the bookmarks and copy-paste capabilities make Bible study a lot easier to follow and remember.

shindullin
02-10-2003, 11:44 PM
BTW, Ed. hope you're having fun @ Redmond.

and angry dude,

I wonder if you would have bothered posting if it was something for Taoism, Buddhism, or Islam?

tonyrxman
02-11-2003, 01:57 AM
it is very good of you to allow us poor deluded fools our mistaken, outmoded beliefs - I for one feel a great weight lifted from my shoulders...! 8)

Amen, to that.........
I'am grateful for his provisions. I will pray for our friend......

dean_shan
02-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Nothing can make Numbers readable!!!! :) I like the approach of the Contemporary English Version - it just reduces the text size of all those interminable lists... :wink:

I agree. I realy like CEV. I started using it a couple of years ago and have kept with it as my main version.

ploeg
02-11-2003, 02:57 AM
I wonder if you would have bothered posting if it was something for Taoism, Buddhism, or Islam?

Just going off of his comment, I suspect that bagemk would. If Pocket PC sites suddenly started posting regular announcements of Taoist products, wouldn't you question whether there was interest out there for such products?

But just getting back to the original question, yes, bagemk, there is a demand out there for Bible-related products, probably much more than you would suspect.

Janak Parekh
02-11-2003, 03:01 AM
While I accept that there are those who need to believe in their faiths, these products definately get a disproportionate amount of coverage on the Pocket PC sites.
Ed happens to be a big fan of Laridian, and that's why he posts on it. If there was a Pocket PC belonging to my religion, and I found it fascinating, I might post on it.

Let's not continue this side discussion further, as this is not the time nor place for it... please return back on-topic so we don't have to pull out the cattle prods. Thanks.

--janak

AndrewLubinus89
02-11-2003, 07:45 AM
bagemk,
BTW -

lol, same here :-). I also agree that having a bible on your ppc is great. When we were helping out with our Church's worship we found a couple verses to read during the service by searching my pda. :-) What was hilarious is that we searched Dad's palm to find a verse about someone going somewhere for two years (for the missionary journyman program) and he found a verse in Acts 19:10. Later my freind bought the 1910 ipaq. pretty funny

AndrewLubinus89
02-11-2003, 07:48 AM

Numbers isn't unreadable. I just lose concentration after a while. :-p

MLO
02-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Too bad its Laridian that is putting out this version. I like The Message version, and have a dead tree copy at my house, but I still can't get behind a reader that makes you pay for the bible AND the software.

If they ever get a version for MS Reader or OliveTree, I'm all there.

MLO

Duncan
02-11-2003, 04:25 PM
MLO,

The software is very well written and frequently updated. Laridian is a small business (with all the attendant financial costs that brings) that has employees/freelancers (that need to earn a living) like any other. I would imagine that, like most good Christian businesses, they may well tithe profits as well. The software is cheap for what it does and I can't see any reason why you should expect it to be free!

To quote from the Laridian site:

Laridian, Inc. is a privately held software development and marketing company specializing in electronic publishing for handheld and palm-top platforms. Most of the products the company sells are owned by their developers and licensed for distribution by Laridian.

As for the Bibles themselves - except for the public domain translations (e.g. the AV) for all copies sold by Laridian a royalty has to be paid. For most translations the royalties pay for the running costs and evangelistic work of the Bible societies responsible for their production and dissemination. Once Laridian's costs (for conversion of the texts, staff costs etc.) are taken into account... again it is difficult to see how they could be free...

As you point out - there are free Bible readers and free translations out there - but the Message, CEV, NIV etc. will never be free to you or I who are privileged enough to be able to pay for them - and so support those who provide them for free where they are most needed.[/quote]

Duncan
02-11-2003, 04:47 PM
On the subject of the release of 'The Message' by Laridian - it is always important to remember that it is an 'interpretative paraphrase' and NOT a translation - indeed its author never intended it to be seen as a translation. I know some Christians who use the Message as their only Bible - which (as a theologian, and someone who knows how far it can stray from the meaning of the words in the original Greek) troubles me...

It has value for the way it makes the 'story' of the Bible easily read - but it should never be used for serious study simply because the process of 'simplificiation' inevitably leaves some important details out - to use Ed's own example of an important text worth studying carefully:

New American Standard: For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

The Message: This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.

The word 'begotten' (important because it emphasises that Jesus was NOT a 'made' being, created by God) is left untranslated and the word translated 'eternal' in the NAS is only partially encompassed by the term 'whole and lasting life'.

Note - I'm not saying The Message is bad or should be avoided - it can give a sweeping overview of the general message of the Bible that is hard to beat - and in matters of the highest importance, such as the key to salvation, the importance of the cross, the meaning of the parables and miracles, the reason for Jesus coming - it generally nails the heart of the matter.

But for close Bible study, and to deepen your understanding of the Bible, I would never rely on the The Message as your primary source. In fact I really can't wait until Laridian get the Contemporary English Version (CEV) in their portfolio - highly readable and superb scholarship... probably the best translation available today!

CharlesWilcox
02-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Ed,

Thanks for posting this. I'm an existing (speaking of Taoism :wink: ) Lardian customer, so I received an e-mail about "The Message", and I plan on buying it. As far as derailed topics go, I'd say this is a worthwhile one. In the 21st century a cattle prod is a small price to pay... they came after the first century Christians with much worse.

In Christ,
Charles

SofaTater
02-11-2003, 05:57 PM
I don't understand why so many financial programs are discussed on this site. Capitalism is an out-moded, archaic notion. When are we going to see an article about the collected writings of Chairman Mao for Pocket Reader???

Duncan
02-11-2003, 07:04 PM
SofaTater,

I have a copy of Maos 'Little Red Book', 'The Communist Manifesto'; 'Capital', 'The Qur'an' (interpreted into English); 'The Tao Te Ching'; several collections of the Buddha's teachings; the 'Tibetan Book of the Dead'; 'The Avesta', 'The Bhagavad Gita', the 'Guru Granth Sahib', the 'Tenakh' and more - all in Reader format - anytime you want to see an article on one of them you just have to say...! :wink: