View Full Version : Want to be convinced to switch from my Dell Axim to an XDA...

VanHlebar
02-10-2003, 02:18 PM
I am looking at getting a cell phone here in the next month. I just purchased a Dell Axim 400mhz back in December. I bought a CF Wifi card for the Dell last week.

I am considering either getting the T68i with bluetooth to connect to my Dell or getting an XDA. I live in Cincinnati, Oh more specifically in the Tricounty area for those out there in my area. I have looked at the T-Mobile website and at the store and looked at their unit. I have a few questions and am looking for some help from those with these units to try to help me make the decision.

1. I am assuming that you can turn the backlight off of the XDA and leave the phone active to save on battery drain? (Sorry if these are really newbie questions)

2. If I got one of these devices, I think I would want to upgrade it to the 128MB through the service of ... well I forget the company right now, but has anyone used them and what are your comments on it?

3. What benefits would I gain if I went the XDA route as opposed to the T68i and bluetooth? I use my Dell extensively thought the day right now. It never leave my side, sad but true. At home I have the Wifi card either in it or near it at all time so that I can check my emails and surf the web. (With 4 kids and a fiance it is hard to get to the computer at times :))

I use my Dell as an MP3 player alot while at work. I currently have a 256MB CF card that carries the music I want to listen to. with the XDA only have an SD card I would have to use my 512MB SD card to hold most of the music I want, plus all my applications. In the current market is it worth the move from the Dell and possible bluetooth combo to the XDA? I would need to spend another $500 for the phone plus the RAM upgrade, where I can get a T68i phone for what about $200 or so?

Thanks for the help,
-Eric

smittyofdhs
02-10-2003, 06:41 PM
#1 - yes you can turn of the backlight. It only has settings for ON and OFF, not steps like other PPC devices.

#2 - PPCTECHS is the company and yes it works great. I have the 64 meg upgrade and have not had one issue in a few months of use.

#3 - the main benefit is the fact that you have 1 single device to do everything. You don't have to carry around the "batman tool belt" with all your gadgets. Another benefit would be the fact that the OS is more incorporated into the phone. You can go to contacts, and click on the number to dial... with 2 devices, they have to bond, then transfer the number to the phone, then dial. With PPCPE it's all-inclusive....

I could come up with many reasons why to use the PPCPE, but I can't think of one reason to have 2 devices anymore. Also, IMHO I would suggest ATTWS SX56 over t-mobile. There's been less issues with the device and ATTWS hasn't tried to muck it up by installing apps that cause the device to crash.

Money-wise, you've already spent a lot for the device you have so it may be wise to get some life out of it before spending more money for a new one.

Monty Gibson
02-11-2003, 02:25 AM
Hello and welcome,

1. I am assuming that you can turn the backlight off of the XDA and leave the phone active to save on battery drain? (Sorry if these are really newbie questions)

While I don't know if anyone can "convince" someone to change, all that we can do is offer our opinions and you will of course have to make your own judgment. For number 1: You can actually turn the device off and it will remain charged for 180 hours. If you continually use the device it will stay charged for 5 hours. If you listen to .MP3's as you've stated below; I would recommend turning the backlight off, which should give you half or a less of the 180 hours.

2. If I got one of these devices, I think I would want to upgrade it to the 128MB through the service of ... well I forget the company right now, but has anyone used them and what are your comments on it?

PPCTechs - Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com) is the name of the company. The perform a 64 and 128 meg upgrade. I have the 128 and have noticed some; but not a lot, of battery loss. I've purchased the extended battery because, like you, I use mine a lot. My comments would be that it's an excellent upgrade. I did not do it for extended memory; I did it out of curiosity. It's made my device faster but to be honest; I haven't used the memory for storage. More on that in a second.

3. What benefits would I gain if I went the XDA route as opposed to the T68i and bluetooth? I use my Dell extensively thought the day right now. It never leave my side, sad but true. At home I have the Wifi card either in it or near it at all time so that I can check my emails and surf the web. (With 4 kids and a fiance it is hard to get to the computer at times :))

One device. That's all I can say really. If you were to call me right now on my PPCPE I could put you on speaker phone and take notes while you and I conversed. I could look up information, while you and I conversed. All without having to put a phone to my ear and trying to jot on a PPC. Mine never leaves my side either, literally. It's always on my hip and I use it to access our VPN at the hospital when I am in my car or at clinic. Your WiFi card is not supported. We do not have an SDIO slot, nor do we have compact flash. However, you can dial up to the internet, check your e-mail and do all the things you could do; except only slower. GPRS is around 56k in Tampa, Florida at the moment.

I use my Dell as an MP3 player alot while at work. I currently have a 256MB CF card that carries the music I want to listen to. with the XDA only have an SD card I would have to use my 512MB SD card to hold most of the music I want, plus all my applications. In the current market is it worth the move from the Dell and possible bluetooth combo to the XDA? I would need to spend another $500 for the phone plus the RAM upgrade, where I can get a T68i phone for what about $200 or so?

I have two 256 meg cards and of course the 128 upgrade. The two cards do suffice; I assure you. On one card alone I have one movie that is 1 and 1/2 hours long, 5 games (Metallion, ZioGolf2 [with 2 additional courses], Tennis Addict, The Mark, and Age of Empires), 5 eBooks, 2 CD's worth of music, and PictPocket Cinema. I still have 4 megs left :wink:.

On my other 256 meg card I have many medical lexicons and a DICOM viewer for when I access our VPN at work I can look at CT scans, echos, x-rays, etc. I have 200 megs left on that one 8O.

I was writing the other day about our device and if you want to read what I wrote please click on the following link; my post is the second one down:
My Post (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8270).

Is it worth it? Again, that's your decision. I cannot see having two devices anymore. I just cannot picture it. Good luck in your decision.

rdef
02-16-2003, 07:19 PM
FYI, the T-Mobile Phone Edition is only $349 at Amazon.com.

The t68i is FREE, at Amazon!