View Full Version : Help with making the choice

feralmind
02-10-2003, 06:33 AM
Alright guys and gals, I need some help.

Im completely new to the market of PPC's but I not new to computers. Recently I found myself wanting to buy a pda, and I was told to get a Dell Axim. Now here is my question. Should I get the 400mhz or the 300mhz. I plan on using the PDA for word translation, directions, maps, organization, and the every-so-often mp3. Is there a major difference in the two? Should I go with the 300mhz and buy more ram? Or would the 400mhz actually benefit me enough to shell out that extra cash?

Thanks alot in advance,
Feralmind

seanturner
02-10-2003, 07:09 AM
Well, one option you have is that you can buy the 300MHz and then overclock it. There was a program released specifically to do this, or you could use PocketHackMaster, which will allow you to overclock even further than 400MHz.

How much of a speed difference you'll notice is debatable, but, the consensus seems to be that it's fairly negligible.

Kevin C. Tofel
02-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Aside from the faster processor, the 400Mhz Dell Axim has more ROM....approximately 21Mg is available for your own storage, so you're getting more storage memory as well as a faster processor. More ROM also means more that there is more upgrade potential for any new OS if Dell makes it available. While there are no guarantees that either Dell (300 or 400) will be OS upgradable, your chances are better with the 400 because of the increased ROM size.

:D
Good luck!
KCT

feralmind
02-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Alright, thanks alot guys. I think I will go with the 400mhz version.