View Full Version : Leavin' On a Jet Plane - Five Days and I'll be Back Again

Jason Dunn
02-09-2003, 09:00 PM
This afternoon I'm leaving for the <a href="http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/">2003 Microsoft MVP Conference</a>. I'll be gone until Friday night, and I'm not sure what kind of connectivity I'll have down there. Even if I have a connection in my hotel room, I'll be in meetings all day and won't be able to post news. And it just so happens that 80% of the news team is going to be with me - Andy, Marlof, Ed and Brad are all Mobile Devices MVPs. That leaves the new guy, Janak. :lol:<br /><br />Because it's a little daunting running this site all by oneself, I've temporarily promoted our community moderator, Steven Cedrone, to the news team - you'll be seeing his name on the front page for the next week. You may see a decrease in the amount of news, or you may not - we'll see how well these guys do on their own. :wink:<br /><br />I'm looking forward to the MVP Summit for a few reasons:<li>It's always great to see members of the Thoughts team<br /><li>I haven't seen some of my fellow MVPs in almost a year<br /><li>Two words: US stores (big selection)<br /><li>There have been some new additions to the MVP team that include Smartphone MVPs and embedded Windows CE MVPs, whom I haven't met yet<br /><li>Bill Gates and Steve Balmer will be doing keynote speeches, and last time we saw this hilarious video where Steve was Luke Skywalker and Bill was Harry Potter :lol: (I kid you not!)<br /><li>Seattle &amp; Redmond are beautiful cities - I always love visiting<br /><li> Three words: Microsoft company store<br /><li>And the best reason for going: we have a day and a half of meetings with the Mobile Devices team - nearly every program manager there is, including some of the important people who make the decisions - including the ActiveSync team and the product planners for the next generation OS. This is our chance to interface with them, bring forward the issues we've seen over the past year, and beg them to fix themSo there you have it! I won't be very responsive to email or private messages over the next week, so don't get hyper if I don't respond to you right away. :wink: Continue to send in your news to the news@ alias or <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/submit.php">use the news submit form</a>.

Kati Compton
02-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Good luck and have fun!

Rirath
02-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Muhaha... my time has come to wreck HAVOK... :twisted: erm... sorry... sorry... no, I'll be good... really. ... Don't lock my account the whole time you're away or anything. :lol:

Have a good trip guys.

kagayaki1
02-09-2003, 09:14 PM
The weather is nice now, but it's been pretty cold lately (sub 0, for you Canadians). We'll see what next week brings.

-Jason

Janak Parekh
02-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Muhaha... my time has come to wreck HAVOK... :twisted:
Don't worry, both Steve and I will be sharing the moderation load. So you ain't gonna get far... :D

--janak

seanturner
02-09-2003, 09:41 PM
OMG!!! There is no happier place in this world than the MS Company Store!

I hope they don't impose a spending limit on you guys like they do on employees.

Janak Parekh
02-09-2003, 09:43 PM
I hope they don't impose a spending limit on you guys like they do on employees.
I don't know about that -- I for one would really hope they impose a spending limit on me, otherwise my credit card would be hurting. A lot. ;)

--janak

seanturner
02-09-2003, 09:50 PM
lol, yeah, never thought about it from that perspective...

But take a look at it this way, look at all the money you're saving! lol.

Sean Turner &lt;---- A product of consumer America :lol: jk

Jonathon Watkins
02-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Send us a postcard! :wink: Don't be breaking no NDAs now yahear! :twisted:

Registered
02-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Hey Jason, have a good trip !

If there is one thing you could ask your "associates" for me is, when do THEY think the .Net CF runtime will be in Pocket PC devices (ie.in ROM)

Greets,

Bob Anderson
02-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Jason, glad to hear you get to visit the wonderful Pacific Northwest again! Doesn't sound like there's too much rain in the forecast, so have a wonderful visit!

I can't wait to hear/get your updates featuring news you can talk about...

Have a safe and wonderful trip!

pocketpcdude1024
02-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Bill Gates and Steve Balmer will be doing keynote speeches, and last time we saw this hilarious video where Steve was Luke Skywalker and Bill was Harry Potter :lol: (I kid you not!)

That would be sooo funny to watch! See if you can upload it! :lol:

Sheynk
02-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Have fun... bring us the inside scoop :wink:

dean_shan
02-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Good luck and have fun.

Jonathan1
02-10-2003, 12:26 AM
Pocket PC 2003!!! WE WANT NEWS!!!!!!! Activesync 4!!! WE WANT NEWS!!! Anything! Throw us a freaking bone! If it would help you can invite me and I would lick Bill Gates shoes for a bit of information!! :werenotworthy:

I’m not above groveling when it comes to information. [Insert a lick boots emoticon here]

Rob Borek
02-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Pocket PC 2003!!! WE WANT NEWS!!!!!!! Activesync 4!!! WE WANT NEWS!!! Anything! Throw us a freaking bone! If it would help you can invite me and I would lick Bill Gates shoes for a bit of information!! :werenotworthy:

I’m not above groveling when it comes to information. [Insert a lick boots emoticon here]

Watch the Microsoft PressPass (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass) for the press release. That's when you'll learn if they exist and what's going on :wink:

Jason Dunn
02-10-2003, 12:35 AM
I don't know about that -- I for one would really hope they impose a spending limit on me, otherwise my credit card would be hurting. A lot. ;)

--janak

Yeah, there's a $60 limit per MVP. Still, $60 goes a long way in the company store... :lol:

Jason Dunn
02-10-2003, 12:39 AM
That would be sooo funny to watch! See if you can upload it! :lol:

Unless you can download the video directly from my synapses, there's nothing to upload. ;-) They showed it to us in the "real world" (TV screen), not online. :wink:

Steven Cedrone
02-10-2003, 12:45 AM
I want to see a video of you on pt's Segway!!!

Steve

ledowning
02-10-2003, 01:00 AM
Have a great trip guys. Hope that you bring back some great news about WindowsCE.net and stuff. It would be great if MS announced some software updates while you were there.

I'm sure that this wonderful website can survive you being away....

Jason Dunn
02-10-2003, 01:49 AM
Did I mention I have high-speed access in the room? Woo! $10 a day is a little crazy, but it's all the connectivity I can muster, so... :wink:

Fzara
02-10-2003, 02:09 AM
High speed access...niice.

Soo, only two people watching the ENTIRE site, ehh? Hehehe ;)

I'm confident Janak and Steve will do a good job. I hope you have a good trip, and dammit, get some sneek peak info for PPC2003!!!

BTW, request "Sharing" for the Mobile Device, so other users from another network can do stuff and access the Mobile Device.

pocketpcdude1024
02-10-2003, 02:49 AM
Unless you can download the video directly from my synapses, there's nothing to upload. ;-)
It might be possible... :wink:

They showed it to us in the "real world" (TV screen), not online. :wink:
Huh? What's that? :lol:

Weyoun6
02-10-2003, 04:58 AM
Good Luck Jason, hope you have fun in Redmond (mmm... microsoft store. bummer that I'm not employee). Oh, if you like some good deals on stuff, you might try the Boeing surplus store. Everyone in seattle area knows or should know about it... And If you get a chance, ride the monorail. :)

seanturner
02-10-2003, 05:01 AM
you might try the Boeing surplus store.

What do they sell there?

Bob Anderson
02-10-2003, 06:10 AM
you might try the Boeing surplus store.

What do they sell there?

From what I've been told, they sell nearly anything and everything, including great deals on 737 toliet seats to old computer stuff! (Just kidding on the toliet seat comment :D )

I keep forgetting to stop by there... but one of these days I guess I'll need to.

seanturner
02-10-2003, 06:19 AM
Hmmn... I've always wanted one of those first class reclining seats for my house...

weyoun6- wasn't he the vorta that was never made because they destroyed the cloning facility?

FredMurphy
02-10-2003, 11:18 AM
And the best reason for going: we have a day and a half of meetings with the Mobile Devices team - nearly every program manager there is, including some of the important people who make the decisions - including the ActiveSync team and the product planners for the next generation OS. This is our chance to interface with them, bring forward the issues we've seen over the past year, and beg them to fix them
Go kick some ActiveSync butt! Maybe they can tell you where your folders went (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=76630). :lol:

Here's hoping we'll get some official announcements on PPC 2003, etc. :)

shindullin
02-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Fix activestink! Fix activestink!
and have fun. Thank you all for creating such a wonderful and informative site. - praise from a newbie. :)

Weyoun6
02-10-2003, 10:02 PM
The Boeing Surplus Store offers many things, LCD screens, scrap titanium, etc. They often have amazing deals.

BTW - Weyoun 6 was a vorta that was 'insane', meaning that he was sane in the human sense. I also have the six in reference to Number 6 from "The Prisoner".

Ashley Dunn
02-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Must be nice to be in sunny Seattle...there's about three feet of snow on either side of our driveway! It's unreal!

I thought about posting a photo, but didn't want to make you all jealous...;-)

Weyoun6
02-11-2003, 02:46 AM
It may be sunny, but its freezing cold here.

pocketpcdude1024
02-11-2003, 02:49 AM
Must be nice to be in sunny Seattle...there's about three feet of snow on either side of our driveway! It's unreal!

I thought about posting a photo, but didn't want to make you all jealous...;-)

So he just... abandons you in Calgary? :P