View Full Version : Website hosting

vincentsiaw
02-09-2003, 06:04 AM
hey guys, need a little bit of help for website hosting, i fed up with geocities plus hosting, and i'm looking for a better host.

i'm looking something economical, i'm only using the site for my personal use, so something simple will do the job. thanks for your help.

Jason Dunn
02-09-2003, 06:32 AM
www.powweb.com looks pretty good - $7.77 a month, 500 MB space, nice bandwidth, etc...I haven't used them personally though.

karinatwork
02-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Hi, I am using www.doteasy.com for my personal website (www.nelsons.ca). It will cost you a fee at the beginning, I think approx. $ 40, but then it's free for the rest of your life, without any advertising. It has had VERY few downtimes so far, and I haven't had any trouble whatsoever.
I can really recommend it.

Good luck with your search.

Karin[/url]

stitics
02-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Personal buddy of mine. Really good deal. Check it out...
http://www.darkscape.net

xendula
02-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Hi, I am using www.doteasy.com for my personal website (www.nelsons.ca). It will cost you a fee at the beginning, I think approx. $ 40, but then it's free for the rest of your life, without any advertising. It has had VERY few downtimes so far, and I haven't had any trouble whatsoever.

Karin[/url]

This sound way too good to be true! How can they possibly offer free hosting with no ads :?:
How long have you been using their service Karin?

Rirath
02-09-2003, 02:37 PM
PopLogic is kinda cool... $4.95/mo, 200mb, 2gb/mo bandwidth, php, mysql, cgi, etc etc. Personally I much prefer the host I'm using though, ColossalHost. 9.95/mo, 2gb, 20gb/mo bandwidth, php, mysql, cgi, perl, asp, sub accounts /w complete ftp access, just about anything else.

And if you haven't already, get a domain. Godaddy.com is a great place to look. $8.95/yr, really professional, really clean.

bdegroodt
02-09-2003, 03:17 PM
I use ours :D . We're inside Inflow's data center with one heck of a set up (Firewall & load balanced). Depending on what you are looking for (Remember, price has it's trade offs.) I might be able to assist you with a "friends and family" deal.

PM if interested.

I feel so cheap for plugging our business. :lol:

vincentsiaw
02-09-2003, 07:58 PM
guys, thank you very much for the help, i guess i will go for the cheapest solution, otherwise i will burst by wallet :roll:

karinatwork
02-09-2003, 08:15 PM
[This sound way too good to be true! How can they possibly offer free hosting with no ads :?:
How long have you been using their service Karin?

I am going into the third year. As I said, I am very happy with them. It was a little bit of a gamble for me to pay the money at the beginning, because I didn't know if they would get bankrupt on me after a couple of months, but it's been two years and nothing bad happened, and I guess my investment already paid off big time. They also provide a free email forwarding service and other stuff. If you want more features, such as Frontpage extensions, or more bandwith, you have to pay for those. I don't need that, my website works just fine without them. I'd rather spend $ 30 per year for my domain name.
Wo wohnst Du denn? Ich komme aus Bruchsal, wohne jetzt aber schon 4 Jahre in Kanada.

Talk to you soo! :)

Rirath
02-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Don't forget the option of hosting yourself by setting up a webserver. Not as hard as it sounds and free. Many pros and cons, there's a few threads about it.

xendula
02-10-2003, 07:53 PM
I am going into the third year. As I said, I am very happy with them. It was a little bit of a gamble for me to pay the money at the beginning, because I didn't know if they would get bankrupt on me after a couple of months, but it's been two years and nothing bad happened, and I guess my investment already paid off big time. They also provide a free email forwarding service and other stuff.
Wo wohnst Du denn? Ich komme aus Bruchsal, wohne jetzt aber schon 4 Jahre in Kanada.

OK, this service definitely sounds good!! So thanks for the info, gonna try them out myself now.

I wohne momentan in der Naehe v. Frankfurt a.M. aber werde wohl bald nach Rhode Island ziehen. Nur fuer ein paar Jahre. Schoen, dich "kennenzulernen". Hab mir deine Seite angeschaut, und ich bin auch total PPC-geil! :P

Sorry guys, so exciting to meet a German, female PPC fan out here :oops:

EvilOne
02-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Here is another one for you to check out http://www.webhost4life.com

xendula
02-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Here is another one for you to check out http://www.webhost4life.com

Sounds really good, too, unlimited everything for 5$/month, but have you tried it out ?

EvilOne
02-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Sounds really good, too, unlimited everything for 5$/month, but have you tried it out ?

I have not yet, but next month I am going to get a site there. I have two friends that have signed up with this place and they have had no problems at all and really like the service and how things work.

JackTheTripper
02-11-2003, 01:48 AM

Good luck with your search.

Karin[/url]

I also have been using doteasy.com for almost 3 years now with 3 different domain names. Hardly ever down. Very good about sending notifications if they will be servicing your server etc...

Sometimes the connection is a little slow and you can tell on a T1 line but for general use they are great!

As for how they can offer free hosting? Basically they send you offers via e-mail and probably sell your e-mail address as well. But I was already getting a lot of spam so I didn't even notice an increase.

xendula
02-11-2003, 08:02 PM
As for how they can offer free hosting? Basically they send you offers via e-mail and probably sell your e-mail address as well. But I was already getting a lot of spam so I didn't even notice an increase.

Would that be junk mail to SOME email address or to the email address
that you get with the site?

JackTheTripper
02-12-2003, 12:51 AM

Would that be junk mail to SOME email address or to the email address
that you get with the site?

They send it to the e-mail address you provide them when signing up. I have not had them send spam to any e-mail address I set up that they host.

I suppose you could even set up a free yahoo account and ad a filter that forwards only e-mails from doteasy.com to your "real" e-mail address. Hmmm.... I may just have to do this. :)

JackTheTripper
02-12-2003, 12:53 AM
Sorry, posted it twice. :D

xendula
02-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the info, J-T-T, :way to go:
I'll definitely check it out now!!