View Full Version : Peripheral reuse

IronGeek
02-08-2003, 11:01 PM
I’ve noticed that many of you buy new PDAs ever one to two years. Not wanting to buy things that I can’t use in my next PDA, what peripherals do you think are some of the better values as far as reuse? For instance, I would like a keyboard, but for $100 I don’t want to have to by a new one when I get a different PDA (that’s why the Pocketop keyboard http://pocketop.radiant.net/products.shtml looks good to me). Do you think that the CF and SD memory standards will be around and supported for awhile? What are the largest sizes that CF and SD can theoretically get too?

WyattEarp
02-09-2003, 01:10 AM
I’ve noticed that many of you buy new PDAs ever one to two years. Not wanting to buy things that I can’t use in my next PDA, what peripherals do you think are some of the better values as far as reuse? For instance, I would like a keyboard, but for $100 I don’t want to have to by a new one when I get a different PDA (that’s why the Pocketop keyboard http://pocketop.radiant.net/products.shtml looks good to me). Do you think that the CF and SD memory standards will be around and supported for awhile? What are the largest sizes that CF and SD can theoretically get too?

While I try not to be one of those people, I do try to buy things that don't disappear over night. Technology is hard to keep up with on the consumer level and is not worth having every new PDA that comes out. But an excellent choice of keyboards. :D I've seen it, and may get it myself.

As far as CF & SD cards go, they will be around for a while so don't worry. Currently they max out at 1 GB but CF should have 2 & 3 GB versions out soon. The actual limit on the amount of memory that can fit in any format depends on the how small the manufacturing limit can get for the materials used. Just like desktop processors keep getting more transistors put in them due to miniaturization of silicon which will soon reach its limit. And I don't have that info. :lol:

Keyboards are funny because manufacturers will make them mainly for the most popular PDAs and most wide used connect types. But there should be one for every PDA now and some do come with multiple adpaters.

The bottom line is buy something that you really like and you won't be dissappointed when the new version comes out. :wink:

TheBacklash
02-09-2003, 02:08 AM
I bought a new Dell, switched froma 3635 iPaq. I didn't have a keyboard for it but kept the 128mb CFcard. Which now I have upgraded to a 512mb card.
Unless it is hardware specific, like a ipaq cradle, hold on to it if you upgrade. CF and SD will be around for a long time, size will get higher, speed willget faster, but you can always use storage. Current limits are CF=1 GB SD= 512mb (is that right?)

Keyboards could be an issue unless you can use it with the new PDA.

If you stick to iPaq's the sleeves can be used on any new one, so that becomes a non-issue.

Fishie
02-09-2003, 02:59 AM
I bought a new Dell, switched froma 3635 iPaq. I didn't have a keyboard for it but kept the 128mb CFcard. Which now I have upgraded to a 512mb card.
Unless it is hardware specific, like a ipaq cradle, hold on to it if you upgrade. CF and SD will be around for a long time, size will get higher, speed willget faster, but you can always use storage. Current limits are CF=1 GB SD= 512mb (is that right?)

Keyboards could be an issue unless you can use it with the new PDA.

If you stick to iPaq's the sleeves can be used on any new one, so that becomes a non-issue.

Sadly the 1910 disagrees with that notion.

PapaSmurfDan
02-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Current limits are CF=1 GB SD= 512mb (is that right?)

CF and SD do have theroitcal limits, much like IDE does. However, unlike computer harddrives (where we have reached the limit, and had to make a new standard, Serial ATA, or bend the existing standard, Ultra133), CompactFlash is nowhere close to hitting that limit. You can get a 3gb soild state CF card for $2k. 4Gb MicroDrives are due this fall. I want to say the thoeritcal limts of CF (ATA Flash, what all of us use) are 32gb or 144gb. However

The good thing about CF and SD is most devices can handle any size card. While I will bet money my cheap little 1 megapixel camera may crap out with a 1gb+ card, I know I can swap that 1gb card between my PPC, PC, and a good Digicam and not have to worry about compatiblity. SD and CF are here to stay.

On Keyboards, I refuse to buy any device specific due to the changing nature of PDA's. Thus, I have a Pocketop IR keyboard. It is a very nice keyboard, and tiny too. Also the fact that it works on most PPC's and Palms made it very attractive to me :) However I do wonder how long the device will be supported. I would love to only have to buy one keyboard and keep it for 5-10 years.

However, Try and stay with standard expansion options and you should be fine.

-Dan

Pony99CA
02-10-2003, 02:49 AM

Those may be the largest sizes you can buy now.

Pretec has shown 3 GB CF cards, which have even been benchmarked at Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/).

Panasonic has 1 GB SD cards around the corner. In fact, I thought they were already available, but a Google search didn't find them for sale.

Steve

TheBacklash
02-10-2003, 07:28 PM
thats what I meant... largest you can buy now.