View Full Version : Buying a US 5450 for UK usage

nihilism
02-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Hi,

At the moment I'm using a 3850 Ipaq, but am going on honeymoon to the US in April.
I was wondering if I could buy a 5450 in america, and use my 3850 power supply for charging etc.
I'm assuming because it's a battery, the voltage and stuff makes no difference, it's just the charger that steps down from it...
Also, I'm assuming I can set it to British standards for all it's settings.
Any advice on if this would work???

Only thing that worrys me then is the warranty :wink:

Janak Parekh
02-08-2003, 11:49 PM
Well, for what it's worth, I believe all the power supplies across the iPaq line are the same in the US. I assume that the DC power requirements for the UK iPaqs are the same as the US iPaqs, in which case it would work fine. No guarantees on that, though. :)

--janak

snazzy
02-09-2003, 12:42 AM
I'm quite sure it'll work fine though, voltage wise its the same.

cookie319
02-09-2003, 08:19 AM
AC voltage wise, US and UK are Different!

But the phihong power adapter has input of 100~240V... the US uses 120V and the UK 240V, but the power supply/adapter will automatically switch to the appropriate voltage.
You will not have a problem with the ipaq, but be weary if you are using other electronics.

DC voltage is the same.

hollis_f
02-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Apart from the warranty (which would be a big worry for me). You should also contemplate the possible consequences of smuggling (I presume you're not planning on paying the tax when you take it through customs).

Yes, the chances of getting caught are slim - but picture yourself bent over in that little room when you hear the snap of the rubber glove. And ask yourself if you're willing ti take that chance.

xendula
02-09-2003, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't worry about smuggling anything. Bought a laptop in the US last summer and noone could tell I did not take it with me from Germany in the first place. I even asked at check-in in Germany whether I could indicate anywhere that I was taking a laptop with me so I would not have any problems with customs when coming back, and they told me not to worry about it.
As to the voltage: I am also using an Ipaq 3870 from the US. All I have to do is use a plug adapter, since our power outlets look different over here. My charger does the rest.

Aaand I could change all the settings to German, it just doesn't have a EURO button on the keyboard, but you being from UK don't even have to worry about that.
(I hate the Euro! :evil: )

FredMurphy
02-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Found a shop on Tottenham Court Road (London) that had 5450s stickered at £649 but he quickly dropped that to £529 and then £520. Can't remember which one but they're usually around the same price as each other.

Buying in the US shouldn't be a problem but make sure you're saving enough to make it worth the hassle.

snazzy
02-10-2003, 12:58 AM
whoops. sorry. :?

AC voltage wise, US and UK are Different!

But the phihong power adapter has input of 100~240V... the US uses 120V and the UK 240V, but the power supply/adapter will automatically switch to the appropriate voltage.
You will not have a problem with the ipaq, but be weary if you are using other electronics.

DC voltage is the same.

snazzy
02-10-2003, 12:59 AM
widget uk has them at around 500 quid, but I think that's not including shipping and tax

Found a shop on Tottenham Court Road (London) that had 5450s stickered at £649 but he quickly dropped that to £529 and then £520. Can't remember which one but they're usually around the same price as each other.

Buying in the US shouldn't be a problem but make sure you're saving enough to make it worth the hassle.

FredMurphy
03-01-2003, 04:49 PM
My Jornada 568 died so I just bought a 5450 from C&A electronics (Tottenham Court Road) for £500 including VAT.